Sponsored By:

Bad ergonomics in the GLE/ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Bad ergonomics in the GLE/ML

Am I the only one who is bothered with the center armrest being higher than the armrest in the doors in the GLE/ML? When I rest both arms while driving either my spine is not straight or my right shoulder feels somewhat cramped because it's not on the same level as the left shoulder. On longer trips I try not to use the armrest all the time but there isn't really enough space to have the elbow next to the center when I grab the steering wheel in the lower half, so I find it difficult to have my arms in a comfortable position. Mercedes puts so much effort in nice seats and offers heated, ventilated and massaged but that armrest thing is a big oversight in my opinion.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I find the car overall extremely comfortable, no issues with arm rests for me
Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Am I the only one who is bothered with the center armrest being higher than the armrest in the doors in the GLE/ML? When I rest both arms while driving either my spine is not straight or my right shoulder feels somewhat cramped because it's not on the same level as the left shoulder. On longer trips I try not to use the armrest all the time but there isn't really enough space to have the elbow next to the center when I grab the steering wheel in the lower half, so I find it difficult to have my arms in a comfortable position. Mercedes puts so much effort in nice seats and offers heated, ventilated and massaged but that armrest thing is a big oversight in my opinion.
I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed that the bottom of the window is too high, and the door handle is too low. Just tonight while driving home, I got a kink in my left shoulder from resting my arm on top of the door. So, I moved it to the door handle, and then it was too low.
The following users liked this post:
Pendragon305 (12-23-2023)
Old 03-18-2017, 01:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLE 350 Selenite Grey 15 CLS400 Avalon 2013 XTS
Originally Posted by cadman_ks
I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed that the bottom of the window is too high, and the door handle is too low. Just tonight while driving home, I got a kink in my left shoulder from resting my arm on top of the door. So, I moved it to the door handle, and then it was too low.
I'd suggest leaning to the right on the center armrest. Not to much, as you don't want look to cool. But just enough to stop the kink's.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by longslim
I'd suggest leaning to the right on the center armrest. Not to much, as you don't want look to cool. But just enough to stop the kink's.
No! Then you end up with scoliosis.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 AM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
I agree. I try to compensate by adjusting the seat higher or lower but I have to pick which arm I want to be comfortable
Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLE350 4matic
This.

And the window ledge isn't deep enough for comfortable elbow placement.

1st world problems...
Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLE 350 Selenite Grey 15 CLS400 Avalon 2013 XTS
I agree. I try to compensate by adjusting the seat higher or lower but I have to pick which arm I want to be comfortable
I find it very comfortable, to let my arms rest on my sides as I drive.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
... When I rest both arms while driving either my spine is not straight or my right shoulder feels somewhat cramped because it's not on the same level as the left shoulder. ...
We went on a longer drive last night, and I spent a majority of the time messing around with the positions, and trying to decide if, and how much different the center was than the door armrest.

I'll be honest, in the end, I couldn't really tell that there was all that much difference. I think if you forced me on a witness to proclaim a number, I'd have to say that the difference between the two positions is less than a 1/2".

To me, those two positions don't feel all that far off. I need to physically measure them to see how far off they really are...
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
We went on a longer drive last night, and I spent a majority of the time messing around with the positions, and trying to decide if, and how much different the center was than the door armrest.

I'll be honest, in the end, I couldn't really tell that there was all that much difference. I think if you forced me on a witness to proclaim a number, I'd have to say that the difference between the two positions is less than a 1/2".

To me, those two positions don't feel all that far off. I need to physically measure them to see how far off they really are...
I'd be curious to find out what the measurements are. I'd have to buy a larger level to find out
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Am I the only one who is bothered with the center armrest being higher than the armrest in the doors in the GLE/ML?
I just notice this recently. The door armrest is too low. It should be the exact height as the center armrest.