GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cracked Windshield replacement or repair?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic
Cracked Windshield replacement or repair?

Hey Guys! Just found out yesterday as I am driving home from work there was a crack on the bottom right corner of my windshield and it is right around the Benz signature logo. After I got home and checked, the windshield was hit probably by a rock or something near the edge where the glass has black edge tint. Due to the snow storm last week the car was a little dirty, therefore probably did not notice the chip. Now the crack has extended 2-3 inch to the left which is the edge of the windshield and 4-5 inch to the right towards the Benz signature.

Called Geico since I have full glass coverage. They suggested that I bring it to nearby Safelite and they will replace it with OEM glass because of the sensors and etc. or I could bring it to my local dealer and they quoted me 1950 with tax included. Then I could ask Geico for a reimbursement which they couldn't tell me what the amount they will cover.

I have used Safelite in the past for minor rock chip only and I would rate the job 8 out of 10.

I am debating whether to bring it to Safelite and pay nothing out of pocket but I worry their quality of work. I want to avoid any future sensor issues and warranty issues. Or go to the dealer and get it reimburse and probably have to pay 500-600 out of pocket. What you guys think?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLS 450 SUV / 2020 BMW X5 X40I
I have used safelight before a couple of times for a full glass replacement on my X5 with heads up display and they always have done a great job and I have never had any issues. Yes it is oem so you won't have the Benz logos on the window anymore. That does bug people sometimes but that is a personal decision. They probably will only reimburse you for what safelight would have charged them if it went through insurance. They have negotiated rates for insurance claims vs non insurance. Hope that helps
Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 AM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Find out who your dealer uses, I bet it is Safelite. That is who they sent me to and Safelite put the MB sticker back on the windshield. I thought their work was outstanding
Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Leo17
Called Geico since I have full glass coverage. They suggested that I bring it to nearby Safelite and they will replace it with OEM glass because of the sensors and etc. or I could bring it to my local dealer and they quoted me 1950 with tax included. Then I could ask Geico for a reimbursement which they couldn't tell me what the amount they will cover.
The term OEM has created some ambiguity. It's another company's version of the same part, designed to fit and work the same. It is NOT the same as genuine MB parts. Insist on an authentic MB windshield. There's a reason they put that signature on the glass. I have GEICO too. Just tell them you need to take it to the MB dealer to have it properly replaced. They can't force you to get sub par parts. If you have no comprehensive deductible like me, they'll pay the full cost.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
Most insurance auto glass coverage will not allow for OEM glass. Also the signature on the glass is a sticker... it is available at your parts department. When people say they can't force you they are wrong in most cases. Some states have different laws and some coverage varies. You need to know your state and coverage to determine the answers to your questions. People here will be just giving you what may have applied to them, it likely will not apply to you.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
What did you end up doing? I'm curious.
I've had good luck with Safelite on simple windshields (trucks and Tahoe yrs ago) but on a past AMG and SLK windshields they have been reinstalled a little different. Everything worked but both had extra tiny black lines around the windshields in places.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic
Just picked up the car today, I went with the dealer instead and they honored a competitor 20% off coupon for windshield replacement. I got lucky with that one because it expires at the end of the month. Total come down to 1600. Genuine MB windshield with signature engraved on the glass. Now, its time to deal with Geico. They want to reimburse me for the cost based on their quote which is around 1100 (safelite quote they got me). I just submitted the work order and hopefully I could negotiate with them soon to get full reimbursement. maybe you guys have some suggestion for that.

On the side note, I got a 2017 E class loaner for 3 days. I have to say, that car wow me in both performance and interior design. (19 inch AMG rims, and sports brake) The interior looks very futuristic and elegant. Love the huge screen. LED ambient light strip is sick. The new parking pilot completely amazed me on what cars could do now a day. Even that tiny 2.0T engine feels way quicker than my previous q50 off the line. The car is smooth, go over bumps even better than the GLE with that 19 inch low profile setup. If next generation GLE have similar design and features, I think I will trade in!!!