Sponsored By:

Ambient Lighting Mismatched Colors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Ambient Lighting Mismatched Colors

I've noticed that when you select "Polar" or "Neutral" for the color of ambient lighting, the lights in the door handles and cup holders remain "Solar". So now you have two different, conflicting color schemes. Is this normal? If so, it looks ridiculous! Is anybody else bothered by this?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE450 AMG Coupe
My GLE is the same, I assume that it's normal
Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
It is normal, but makes no sense.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - door handles and cup holders are part of the standard cabin lighting - like the interior front/rear dome light - or did you expect the dome lights to change color too - joking - but you get the point.

Standard cabin lighting and standard instrument lighting don't change - Ambient lighting adds additional color/changing accent lighting accents.

Keep the beat !
Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
cup holder with heat/cool option-

Turn blue with cooling & red with warming setting
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I find it unacceptable because I was in a Hyundai and all the lights changed to the desired colors.

this is the kind of stuff that over the years of owning a Mercedes and see what other manufacturers are doing is leading me away from buying another one.

I really contemplating on looking at Audi's now, only because they have cool features that Mercedes should have implemented years ago
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rainers
I find it unacceptable because I was in a Hyundai and all the lights changed to the desired colors.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Yes - door handles and cup holders are part of the standard cabin lighting. Standard cabin lighting and standard instrument lighting don't change
Not true for other models WITHIN THE SAME BRAND. All you have to do is a Google image search for "Mercedes Ambient Lighting" and you'll find other models that change the color of the door handle lights as well. Look at the attached pic. For God's sake, even the C-Class doesn't do this! The bottom line is, MB got lazy and cheap when they designed the GLE's ambient lighting. Now I'm stuck with using "Solar" because it's the only color that looks right.

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...w=1164&bih=537

Obviously, cup holders have to change to a color that alerts you of the potential danger of a hot heating element. Therefore, they're not part of this equation.
Attached Thumbnails Ambient Lighting Mismatched Colors-c-class.jpg  

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 04-20-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I feel Mercedes is cheaping the product to keep prices down and sell to gain market share.

I can count on both hands the number of features they have removed. Keys that had independent settings for different drives, it would preset radio buttons to the driver depending what key was used along with Seat settings, this was great for me because my wife is shorter than I and when we unlocked the door the seat would automatically adjust to the driver. Auto seat exit, when any driver turned off the car the steering wheel would move up AND the seat would move back. Things like this are the amenities you would expect from a premium automobile.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLE 350 Selenite Grey 15 CLS400 Avalon 2013 XTS
Originally Posted by Rainers
I feel Mercedes is cheaping the product to keep prices down and sell to gain market share.

I can count on both hands the number of features they have removed. Keys that had independent settings for different drives, it would preset radio buttons to the driver depending what key was used along with Seat settings, this was great for me because my wife is shorter than I and when we unlocked the door the seat would automatically adjust to the driver. Auto seat exit, when any driver turned off the car the steering wheel would move up AND the seat would move back. Things like this are the amenities you would expect from a premium automobile.
I was surprise coming from a Cadillac to MB with little thing missing on a top of the line car. I was use to a tone when I left my keys in car or when you'd leave the turn signal on to long. Even remote start with the key fob or on star was standard on my 2013 XTS. That car had the easy exit seat and steering wheel memory function. And it was customize according to which key fob unlocked the door. Little things like that I miss with MB, if the depreciation wasn't so steep I would have stuck with buying caddies
Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
I've noticed that when you select "Polar" or "Neutral" for the color of ambient lighting, the lights in the door handles and cup holders remain "Solar". So now you have two different, conflicting color schemes. Is this normal? If so, it looks ridiculous! Is anybody else bothered by this?
Blue and orange are complimentary colors. Looks great.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:26 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by 27T
Blue and orange are complimentary colors. Looks great.
Yeah, right. If you say so.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
27T is a Chicago transplant...Da Bears!