Sponsored By:

GLE550e warm up question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:55 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
GLE550e warm up question

With the unknown future of Mercedes Diesels here in the US I'm thinking of getting a hybrid when the next gen of GLE's comes out. This is not about saving mpg's but it's apparently the only option to get a quiet, fast GLE without spoilers, sports exhaust and all that unnecessary AMG stuff that I don't need at age over 40 ;-)
So here is my question: How do the hybrids warm up when you drive them in electric mode? My daily commute would be perfect to use electric mode to get to the highway and then continue with gas engine. However if I have to push it to make a traffic light and it's -20 degrees here in Chicago, how does the gas engine deal with that if it didn't warm up?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
I can't speak to -20 degree weather, but it gets pretty frigid here and my GLE550e could stay in electric in the cold. You just have to remember to put it in electric mode before you pull off. It always starts in hybrid when it first starts. In fact, I used your strategy exactly when taking my wife to the train in the morning. Electric to the highway, gas up to the station exit, back to electric when I exited the highway. Worked beautifully.

Also there is an excellent "motoman" review of the 550e on youtube. If you are considering the car you should watch it.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by DarrenK
I can't speak to -20 degree weather, but it gets pretty frigid here and my GLE550e could stay in electric in the cold. You just have to remember to put it in electric mode before you pull off. It always starts in hybrid when it first starts. In fact, I used your strategy exactly when taking my wife to the train in the morning. Electric to the highway, gas up to the station exit, back to electric when I exited the highway. Worked beautifully.

Also there is an excellent "motoman" review of the 550e on youtube. If you are considering the car you should watch it.
I saw that review, it's good. So does the heating/ac work in electric mode?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:04 AM

GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I saw that review, it's good. So does the heating/ac work in electric mode?
Yes. And if you have enough electric the car can preheat or precool the cabin. I think the he a teddy driver seat preheats too. Don't know about precooling the seats.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by DarrenK
Yes. And if you have enough electric the car can preheat or precool the cabin. I think the he a teddy driver seat preheats too. Don't know about precooling the seats.
Does that require built in wifi which has a monthly cost I assume?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
My GLE 550e has built in wifi - no monthly cost...
The following users liked this post:
Strafzettel (05-24-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 PM

GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Does that require built in wifi which has a monthly cost I assume?
You get access to a website called mygleclass.com. it give you remote access to info about the car including state of charge, preconditioning, etc. I did not pay for it.
The following users liked this post:
Strafzettel (05-24-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
My GLE500e has only been down to +4C so far. Seats heat and cool automatically depending on ambient. It pulls out of the garage in electric, but petrol may start very soon depending on the right foot. Its almost impossible to tell if the motors hot or cold - it works perfect always. And hot air comes out immediately from the heater.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by iankayem
My GLE500e has only been down to +4C so far. Seats heat and cool automatically depending on ambient. It pulls out of the garage in electric, but petrol may start very soon depending on the right foot. Its almost impossible to tell if the motors hot or cold - it works perfect always. And hot air comes out immediately from the heater.
The fact that the heating/ac works immediately makes the car even more interesting. I see you had a bluetec before. Do you miss the bluetec torque in the GLE500e, is it as quiet?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Interesting question.
Yes the bluetec had more torque.
But the Hybrid (3.0 V6 petrol) has more power. And add to that the electric boosts it instantly so you have far more on tap when you need it with the hybrid.
But it is peakier whereas the bluetec was smoother under acceleration.

But one problem with the bluetec, is the "pregnant pause".
As Benz point out, the transmission? "learns" your driving style.
Well normally I drive sedately. I accelerate in a way my passengers will not get nervous, and slow down in anticipation of red lights.
But when I stop to turn across the flow of oncoming traffic, I wait till a gap appears, and plant the boot.
The bluetec says "do you really want to go?". Then it shuffles the gears without moving, then decides "yes you do have full throttle" so it launches you.

But the hybrid starts moving straight away whilst the engine starts and then powers on faster than the bluetec ever could.

Add to that the hybrid will outrun the Aston V12 in 0~100km/h, I don't regret the upgrade.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by iankayem
Interesting question.
Yes the bluetec had more torque.
But the Hybrid (3.0 V6 petrol) has more power. And add to that the electric boosts it instantly so you have far more on tap when you need it with the hybrid.
But it is peakier whereas the bluetec was smoother under acceleration.

But one problem with the bluetec, is the "pregnant pause".
As Benz point out, the transmission? "learns" your driving style.
Well normally I drive sedately. I accelerate in a way my passengers will not get nervous, and slow down in anticipation of red lights.
But when I stop to turn across the flow of oncoming traffic, I wait till a gap appears, and plant the boot.
The bluetec says "do you really want to go?". Then it shuffles the gears without moving, then decides "yes you do have full throttle" so it launches you.

But the hybrid starts moving straight away whilst the engine starts and then powers on faster than the bluetec ever could.

Add to that the hybrid will outrun the Aston V12 in 0~100km/h, I don't regret the upgrade.
I agree with that pregnant pause, it's annoying. Sounds like the hybrid is a really nice drive. I hope they don't downsize the GLE hybrid to a 4 cylinder in the next generation. I have high hopes for the new generation being based on the new e-class. It should get a similar interior and grow a little in length from I found online so far.