How to fix small scratch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350d
How to fix small scratch

Hello,

I bought a new GLE (black un-metallised) few weeks ago, after the first car wash done manually. At this time I didn't buy proper equipment, we used a cloth from home, not enough soft apparently.
Here few picture, do you have any advice or tool to fix it?
First picture: top corner between left doors

Second
one: left corner
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
Touch up paint. But on that corner it has minimal effect. Mercedes has some to match the factory paint codes.

Since you never got the car properly protected with a wrap, your paint is just gonna get worse from here. You can buy proper car detailing stuff like micro-fibre towels and waxing it, scratches are gonna occur.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
The first picture is definitely not due to washing. The door probably hit something when opened.

To avoid scratches as much as possible, never use a normal cotton rag to clean/dry your car. Always use a good quality microfiber towel. When removing dirt/bird poo or else, make sure you use a well lubricated microfiber towel. If you use a paper towel for example, you are sure to get scratches.

On your bottom picture it is difficult to see the depth of the scratches. But if only the clear coat is scratched, then you dont need touch up paint. You just need to buff it out. You can do it yourself with a polishing machine and some polishing compounds. Rupees make the best machines (expensive) and I use 3M polishing compound. It works like a charm and the scratch will be gone in minutes. If you dont want to invest in the hardware, you can get a detailling shop to do that for you. If it's just a specific shop, you'll be done with less than 50 bucks.

Lastly, if scratches really bother you, get a ceramic coating. It's expensive but well worth the money. It is much more durable than clear coat, and it makes cleaning your car 10 times easier as grim doesnt cling onto it as it does with clear coat.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:42 AM

GLE350d
Thanks for your reply, for the first one, I went to a Mercedes dealer, they can change the frame for 70 box, so really cheap. They don't know either what cause this.

They will change this part:
https://mercedes-parts.benzelbusch.c...que-1666900187

For the second one, it's a slight one, so I might go for a specific shop or do it myself.

Thanks for your answer.

Originally Posted by 350MH83
The first picture is definitely not due to washing. The door probably hit something when opened.

To avoid scratches as much as possible, never use a normal cotton rag to clean/dry your car. Always use a good quality microfiber towel. When removing dirt/bird poo or else, make sure you use a well lubricated microfiber towel. If you use a paper towel for example, you are sure to get scratches.

On your bottom picture it is difficult to see the depth of the scratches. But if only the clear coat is scratched, then you dont need touch up paint. You just need to buff it out. You can do it yourself with a polishing machine and some polishing compounds. Rupees make the best machines (expensive) and I use 3M polishing compound. It works like a charm and the scratch will be gone in minutes. If you dont want to invest in the hardware, you can get a detailling shop to do that for you. If it's just a specific shop, you'll be done with less than 50 bucks.

Lastly, if scratches really bother you, get a ceramic coating. It's expensive but well worth the money. It is much more durable than clear coat, and it makes cleaning your car 10 times easier as grim doesnt cling onto it as it does with clear coat.

Last edited by ylemouel; 08-24-2017 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Adding a link to a part
Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 AM

GLE350d
Just to conclude someone try to open the door that's why I had this scratch.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ylemouel
Thanks for your reply, for the first one, I went to a Mercedes dealer, they can change the frame for 70 box, so really cheap. They don't know either what cause this.

They will change this part:
https://mercedes-parts.benzelbusch.c...que-1666900187

For the second one, it's a slight one, so I might go for a specific shop or do it myself.

Thanks for your answer.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic
Originally Posted by ylemouel
Just to conclude someone try to open the door that's why I had this scratch.

Thanks.
It's hard to tell about the 2nd scratch picture but is it all the way thru the paint? One way to tell is if your finger nail catches on the edge of the scratch. If it does then you are likely thru the paint if it doesn't then you might have good luck with some heavy cut compound followed by a finishing polish to restore shine.

Buffing it out might reduce the appearance of it enough where touch up paint isn't needed. Check out AMMONYC on youtube.com Larry has some great videos on how to go about repairing small scratches
Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 AM

GLE350d
Even for the second one I managed to fix it.
Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by Ride92
It's hard to tell about the 2nd scratch picture but is it all the way thru the paint? One way to tell is if your finger nail catches on the edge of the scratch. If it does then you are likely thru the paint if it doesn't then you might have good luck with some heavy cut compound followed by a finishing polish to restore shine.

Buffing it out might reduce the appearance of it enough where touch up paint isn't needed. Check out AMMONYC on youtube.com Larry has some great videos on how to go about repairing small scratches