GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Squeaking door seals problem maybe solved!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Squeaking door seals problem maybe solved!

Long story in short. Took possession of my gle in Jan. In the beginning of July the squeaking started. Read everything here and on othet forums and understood that the rubber seals were the guilty ones. Tried with a lubricant-no change except everythng became greasy. After car wash I had one quiet day and then the squeaking was coming back. Somewhere here I read someone was using ethyl alcohol instead of lubricant and is actually making the opposite. Somebody also thought the paint waxing helps the squeaking.
Today I cleaned the door seals, both the ones on the door frame and on the opposite side, 1 and 2 on my picture. Then I leaned myself by chance on the closed door and what do you think? It was squeaking terribly. In this moment I realized there is a third seal, only on the upper side of the door, number 3, and cleaned the painted surface this seal is touching . No squeaking!
And thinking about how everything started, I connected the sound with the hot weather although here it is hot after the middle of May, but actually the squeaking started just after waxed the car for the first time with teflon car wax at a car wash.
I hope this will help somebody, sharing at least my experience.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by yavor

Long story in short. Took possession of my gle in Jan. In the beginning of July the squeaking started. Read everything here and on othet forums and understood that the rubber seals were the guilty ones. Tried with a lubricant-no change except everythng became greasy. After car wash I had one quiet day and then the squeaking was coming back. Somewhere here I read someone was using ethyl alcohol instead of lubricant and is actually making the opposite. Somebody also thought the paint waxing helps the squeaking.
Today I cleaned the door seals, both the ones on the door frame and on the opposite side, 1 and 2 on my picture. Then I leaned myself by chance on the closed door and what do you think? It was squeaking terribly. In this moment I realized there is a third seal, only on the upper side of the door, number 3, and cleaned the painted surface this seal is touching . No squeaking!
And thinking about how everything started, I connected the sound with the hot weather although here it is hot after the middle of May, but actually the squeaking started just after waxed the car for the first time with teflon car wax at a car wash.
I hope this will help somebody, sharing at least my experience.
Thanks for the insight. What did you use for a cleaning agent?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
70% ethyl alcohol from the pharmacy
8 hours later I had a short drive, still if going over too irregular terrain causing bending of the chasis there is some minor squeaking, but nothing like before. Obviously there is more than one single part causing the sound effects of this apart from this premium vehicle I'll se how it is after a day or two and let you know.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by yavor
70% ethyl alcohol from the pharmacy
8 hours later I had a short drive, still if going over too irregular terrain causing bending of the chasis there is some minor squeaking, but nothing like before. Obviously there is more than one single part causing the sound effects of this apart from this premium vehicle I'll se how it is after a day or two and let you know.
Thanks. I have '14 ML and a and a '14 GL. The approach angle into my slightly elevated driveway causes the cars to really twist, so both squeak.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350
Windows frame

Usually the cracking occur when the body flex and windows are closed.

If you try to open the windows will the cracking stay?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Had the same thing. I used a general oil lubrication for rubber. Never had an issue since. The W166 has so much flex to it.
The following users liked this post:
Georges Saadé (03-09-2020)