Sponsored By:

2018 GLE 350 no functional Tailpipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic
2018 GLE 350 no functional Tailpipes?

Itook mine 2016 GLE 350 to the dealer for the Power Steering Connector recall and Navigation Map update. They gave me a 2018 GLE loaner, and as I am walking around to see any difference with MY2018, I realized that it does not have the dual functional tailpipes any more. The actual tailpipes now are hidden and points downward instead. Any ideas on why they decide to change the tailpipes?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:05 PM

GT3RS, GLE350d
Originally Posted by Leo17
Itook mine 2016 GLE 350 to the dealer for the Power Steering Connector recall and Navigation Map update. They gave me a 2018 GLE loaner, and as I am walking around to see any difference with MY2018, I realized that it does not have the dual functional tailpipes any more. The actual tailpipes now are hidden and points downward instead. Any ideas on why they decide to change the tailpipes?
How long did the two services take? Relatively simple for them to do? Did you just request a map update?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:23 PM

2016 GLE 350 4Matic
It took a few hours in total. They just check the connector for corrosion and replace the housing. The map update on the other hand is a bit tricky. I asked about it in the past but the service adviser told me nothing new so far. But this time I insist and told them that I read it on forum that there is map updates available. Initially he told me that might cost $250 and I told him it's included with every Benz with Navigation on recent model years. He end up putting map update in the work order and they updated to version 8.0 right now. I think since it is a free update, they don't want to do it since majority of the customer either don't care or don't know about it. Also they are not making anything off that. We need to take advantage of that three year free update. Surprised me that even at a Benz dealership there are opportunities with customer service and product knowledge.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
The map update on the other hand is a bit tricky. I asked about it in the past but the service adviser told me nothing new so far. But this time I insist and told them that I read it on forum that there is map updates available. Initially he told me that might cost $250 and I told him it's included with every Benz with Navigation on recent model years. He end up putting map update in the work order and they updated to version 8.0 right now. I think since it is a free update, they don't want to do it since majority of the customer either don't care or don't know about it. Also they are not making anything off that. We need to take advantage of that three year free update. Surprised me that even at a Benz dealership there are opportunities with customer service and product knowledge.
Outrageous!!! Mine was updated on 9/22 with no questions asked. Just so everyone knows, apparently, right around that time every year is when the new map updates come out. I would send a written complaint on this person to corporate HQ. I refuse to believe he didn't know ALL MB's come with three years of free Nav updates. If he didn't know, he needs to be retrained. Worse than that, he tried to intimidate you from getting it with a mythical $250 charge. You are absolutely correct. They will NEVER volunteer to update your Nav, because it's not a money maker. Luckily, we can easily check which map version is installed. Otherwise, dealers like that would probably tell you you already have the most recent update.

Thank God for the Internet. I went through the same BS with my last car, and I dealt exclusively with the Service Manager. In that case, I don't believe there was anything nefarious going on. They were just clueless. I had to educate them (based on what I learned online) about nearly everything, largely due to the vehicle being a first year new generation.

It seems that regardless of brand, dealer quality varies wildly. This is why I'd suggest everyone check their dealer's reputation on this website: https://www.dealerrater.com/ . They have separate ratings for the sales and services departments. Feel free to rate your dealer while you're there.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Your mention of the map update skewed your post. We have a '14 ML350 and a '14 GL450. Neither vehicles' exhaust goes thru the bumper outlets. They point down as you noticed. So I guess MB stopped routing thru the bumper, started it again, and now stopped it. Cheaper I suppose....
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM

2016 GLE 350 4Matic
The map thing is just unbelievable. I brought the car in several times before. Ex. Service A, whindsield replacement, Collision prevention assist not functioning. Every time I asked about the map update, and the answer is the same. Until yesterday, I had version 5.0 for about 18 months.

Yes I think Benz went cheap again. Only this time they have dual exhaust facing down and hidden. As for the exhaust outlet on the bumper they just cover it with plastic. The outline chrome trim is still there.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
exhaust through the bumper

I hacve a 2015 ML350 and it does not have exhaust cuts out in the bumper, they turn down. I know that is 2016 and probably 2017,they went back to exhaust cut outs. It seems to be an on and off model look change. I wish my bumper had the exhaust cut outs, like the look.