manual shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
manual shifting

not really model specific.

i'd like to try the manual shifting mode. do you drive/shift just like a standard? also, any insight would be helpful. thx, ron
The following users liked this post:
PointersandBenz (05-27-2021)
Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Banned

so what's up? nobody uses the paddles or nobody's driven a stick? would definitely appreciate some insight before i start banging these things around. ron
Old 03-25-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

There are two main ways to use the paddle shifters. First is you can choose to over ride the auto shift points either up/down depending on the situation. When you do this the trans does some sort of semi manual mode. For example you can chose to upshift to pass someone quick and if you don’t make another manual shift after a certain time period the Trans will go back to full auto.
Second is full manual mode. This is done by pressing the button in front of the command dial labeled “M”. When pressed you must manually shift up and down. The center lcd with help you with shift points by showing a green up arrow. I’ve attached a pic of this from our gle 350.
Finally, don’t try to press the Manual shift button going 80 down the interstate like my wife tried to do. The car does not like that!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Banned

thx. foot off gas on upshifts? reengage gently or hard? brake on downshifts ok? multiple gear downshifts ok, or single step only?

the highway shift info is exactly the kind of stuff i want to know. i appreciate the insight.

i learned to drive on a '69 kadett L wagon. i expect the mb trans costs more than that whole car, so i'd rather not bust it up.

thx much, ron
Old 03-26-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by rcsjr
thx. foot off gas on upshifts? reengage gently or hard? brake on downshifts ok? multiple gear downshifts ok, or single step only?

the highway shift info is exactly the kind of stuff i want to know. i appreciate the insight.

i learned to drive on a '69 kadett L wagon. i expect the mb trans costs more than that whole car, so i'd rather not bust it up.

thx much, ron
I've never taken my foot off the gas while shifting. Seems to shift a tad crisper in manual, but i'd guess thats due to mostly shifting at a higher RPM.
Not sure what you mean by re-engage.. there is no neutral if thats what your wondering. Only 1-8/9.. Thats where this differs from a manual trans.
As far as coming to a stop and up-shifts are concerned I was a bit wrong in my other post. The car automatically puts it into a higher gear for you if you do nothing in manual mode. You can choose to up-shift to a lower gear when slowing down but the car will always try to choose the right gear. So manual mode shifting is really only for speeding up and shifting to next highest gear.. Does that made sense?
When slowing to a stop I have up-shifted through two gears several times. The car wont let you over-rev it so if you try to shift too far it will over-ride it. Mercedes has really fool proofed it, you can't mess it up.

I was not with my wife when she tried to put it in Manual mode on the interstate but she said she just had to pull over and stop, then start again. I dont believe the car will let you damage itself by manually shifting..
Old 03-26-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

again, all good stuff. i really appreciate it. thx.

on down shifts, i can take a manual from 5 to 3 carefully and smoothly (unlike my son when i was teaching him how to drive ) i was interested to know what happens with the mb.

it sounds like i'm fairly protected by the engineering so i'm going to give it a shot next time out.

much thx again, ron
Old 03-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Banned

so i tried it briefly today. will definitely take getting used to. based on the "recommended" ups shifts, it did prove my belief that the trans shifts way too much.

i don't like the low end as i feel the ranges are too tight. if they really wanted that, they should have included a hi/lo gear set.

thx much again, ron
Old 03-29-2018, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well.... frankly all well and good... but misses the true working point of your tranny...

1. 3-second hold - at any speed - let's use highway for example - pull/hold left paddle for 3 secs - tranny shifts down 1--gear - then tranny "jumps" to correct power gear for that speed - which you can use to either scoot or decelerate - then pull/hold right paddle for 3 secs takes you back to auto. Faster/smoother than accelrator kickdown for acceleration - great for decelerating come off on exit ramps or downhill curves ..
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

thx. after a few times out it became clear that this was not "manual" shifting. got the impression that it was really a helper mode, which you clearly enumerated. i'll experiment with that, but won't be using it as a "manual" again. thx again, ron
Old 03-29-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I find the manual shifting way too slow, much slower than on my previous BMW. When I pull the left paddle I can count 1-2-3 before it downshifts, if I kick the gas pedal sometimes the reaction is faster. Makes no sense to me.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Banned

right, it's a helper. i have paddles on 2 other cars. i might try them to see if they react differently. ron
Old 03-01-2022, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQC, S Class Extended, Grace CVT.
Originally Posted by nbukrey
I've never taken my foot off the gas while shifting. Seems to shift a tad crisper in manual, but i'd guess thats due to mostly shifting at a higher RPM.
Not sure what you mean by re-engage.. there is no neutral if thats what your wondering. Only 1-8/9.. Thats where this differs from a manual trans.
As far as coming to a stop and up-shifts are concerned I was a bit wrong in my other post. The car automatically puts it into a higher gear for you if you do nothing in manual mode. You can choose to up-shift to a lower gear when slowing down but the car will always try to choose the right gear. So manual mode shifting is really only for speeding up and shifting to next highest gear.. Does that made sense?
When slowing to a stop I have up-shifted through two gears several times. The car wont let you over-rev it so if you try to shift too far it will over-ride it. Mercedes has really fool proofed it, you can't mess it up.

I was not with my wife when she tried to put it in Manual mode on the interstate but she said she just had to pull over and stop, then start again. I dont believe the car will let you damage itself by manually shifting..
Is it the same on the W221 350 CDI? And EQC400? I always switch to m mode accidentally in corners and over rev it. When I realise my mistake I hit sport mode.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:54 AM

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
Originally Posted by nbukrey
You do have the C/S display I don't have the extra up shift display either. I don't have it on my 2016. It must of been a upgraded software version. Let me check with my buddy over at MB and see if they can upgrade my firmware.