Sponsored By:

New rear rotors and pads @ 30k??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230
New rear rotors and pads @ 30k??

Took car in for service today, SA calls and says 0mm left on rear pads and needs new rotors and pads, $1,000 bill. I say wow, already? Only 30k. He says that’s about what they are getting out of them. I said maybe pads but rotors? No squeelers, no sensors saying pads low. I’m at 34k in my ‘16 C63s that I Driiive...my wife only gets 30 in her suv??
Old 05-08-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Pads: I can accept their being shot at 30,000 miles, but you'd get a dashboard wear-sensor warning to that effect. Absent a wear-sensor alert, I'd be dubious of the SA's report.

Rotors: a quick visual check will disclose whether the pads have worn them out. Pads don't make contact on the outer edges of the rotors. Over driving time there will emerge a discernible ring around the outer shoulders of the rotors, and the area swept by the rotors will appear as a wide depression. Put a finger on the swept area and rub outwards on the rotor; you'll feel a distinct ring or lip around the outer circumference of the rotor if there is rotor wear. If a ring is present: is it barely or only slightly discernible, or is it quite distinct?

FWIW: I got over 100,000 miles of service from the rotors on the 300E, the SL550, and the E350 I owned. As i said earlier: I'd be dubious about the worn-out rotor report and I'd demand strict proof of the matter.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-08-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Normal on those trucks.

There are some instances of the rear pads wearing unevenly, where an inner pad will be gone and the one with the sensor will not be triggered yet, remember you have 4 pads and only 1 sensor. The 166 rears tend to wear unevenly, there was a bulletin about making sure the latest part # pads are installed but it didn't give any real explanation. I believe it has something to do with the electronic parking brake not releasing well enough and causing the rear brakes to drag slightly.

Rotors are almost always worn down about evenly, so they are suggested with every pad change to provide the smoothest, quietest brake performance. If you don't want to spend the money and the rotors are not damaged or below spec, you can slap new pads on them and probably be just fine, especially on the rear. It will 100% be below spec at the next pad change though, so assume at 60k you will need what they are quoting now, you may actually see less pad life starting them on a used rotors.