Sponsored By:

Tint - desert area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
Tint - desert area?

Hi guys - for any of you who live in desert areas where it gets HOT (just moved to Vegas), I have a couple newbie questions regarding tinting for my new 2018 GLE350. Not looking so much for privacy and I actually prefer the windows not to be completely dark, but I really want something that keeps the heat out. So:

1.) What kind/% do you recommend? Is the standard back window tint automatically installed by MB sufficient?
2.) Is there anything about MB windows I should keep in mind for tinting? Do they have some kind of sensors on them?
3.) Did you go to the dealer or is an independent specialty shop ok?
4.) This seems debatable based on different forums, but I will drive to California occasionally, where you're not supposed to have tinted windows. Will tinting cause me to get stopped / do I just say I'm passing through - or are there actual repercussions regardless of your license plate state allowing for tinting?
5.) Should you live in Vegas, any recommendations for affordable/quality tinting would be appreciated

Thank you!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Prior to someone providing a more specific answer to your question, I'm looking into bringing up the level of tint for my front driver and passenger side windows to match the rear of the vehicle. The level of tint is covered by state law, so checking with Nevada motor vehicle rules would be best. I should think a Mercedes dealer in your area could also tell you what is allowed by law.

In looking for a local shop, check out several and see how willing they are to answer your specific concerns and questions and avoid the ones that want to push you into their preferred choices and not a style or level of tint you want.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by luckysk8s
Hi guys - for any of you who live in desert areas where it gets HOT (just moved to Vegas), I have a couple newbie questions regarding tinting for my new 2018 GLE350. Not looking so much for privacy and I actually prefer the windows not to be completely dark, but I really want something that keeps the heat out. So:

1.) What kind/% do you recommend? Is the standard back window tint automatically installed by MB sufficient? The percentage of window tint is purely subjective. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. I would suggest the darkest your state allows. Reason being, even the darkest legal tint is barely noticeable from inside the vehicle. The MB window tint on the rear side and back window has UV blocking properties.
2.) Is there anything about MB windows I should keep in mind for tinting? Do they have some kind of sensors on them? There's nothing special you need to know about MB windows before tinting. There are no special sensors.
3.) Did you go to the dealer or is an independent specialty shop ok? Always go to an independent tint shop. Details below.
4.) This seems debatable based on different forums, but I will drive to California occasionally, where you're not supposed to have tinted windows. Will tinting cause me to get stopped / do I just say I'm passing through - or are there actual repercussions regardless of your license plate state allowing for tinting? You're only required to abide by the tint laws in the state your vehicle is registered. So if you travel to a state with more stringent tint laws, they can't enforce those laws with you.
5.) Should you live in Vegas, any recommendations for affordable/quality tinting would be appreciated https://northamerica.llumar.com/find...ow-tint-dealer

Thank you!
The first thing you need to do is check the Nevada state laws regarding window tint in vehicles. I took the liberty of doing that for you. In Nevada, the combined VLT (Visible Light Transmission) must be greater than 35%. This refers to the front side windows and windshield. On the rear side windows and rear window, any darkness can be used. They use the term "combined" VLT because your factory windows have a slight tint of their own. On MB vehicles, it's approx. 2%. Since window tint usually comes in increments of 5%, the maximum tint you'd be allowed is 40%. Combined with the factory tint, that would give you a VLT of 38%, which would be legal in Nevada.

Tint Film Previewer: https://northamerica.llumar.com/auto...tint-simulator

There are three basic types of window tint: dyed, metallic and ceramic. Rather than explain the differences here, I provided a link below. Just stay away from metallic. It can interfere with radio wave transmission. Most people get window tint for reasons of privacy or aesthetics. But the main reason everyone should get it is because of the dangers of UV light rays and for heat rejection. Different grades of tint have different amounts of UV and Infrared (heat) blocking capabilities. The darkness of the tint has nothing to do with how much of these light rays are blocked. The material of the tint determines this. They even have clear window tint that offers heat and UV-blocking benefits, without darkening the windows. Getting the two front side windows tinted is relatively inexpensive, so it's pointless to skimp. In my state almost all of the dealers tint new car windows prior to sale. The only problem with this is you have no control over the VLT or the grade of tint they use. This is why I was emphatic about them NOT tinting my windows. I already had a specific tint (LLumar Ceramic) and tint shop in mind.

https://northamerica.llumar.com/auto...utomotive-film

https://northamerica.llumar.com/auto...gerous-uv-rays

In case you were wondering, I don't work for a window tint company. Window tint laws are strictly enforced in my home state of NC. I did a lot of research prior to getting it installed. In my state, inspection stations will test the tint % and note this on the inspection report. They give you a copy. If you're ever stopped by the police, this comes in handy as proof that you're in compliance.

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 03-04-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:01 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
The first thing you need to do is check the Nevada state laws regarding window tint in vehicles. I took the liberty of doing that for you. In Nevada, the combined VLT (Visible Light Transmission) must be greater than 35%. This refers to the front side windows and windshield. On the rear side windows and rear window, any darkness can be used. They use the term "combined" VLT because your factory windows have a slight tint of their own. On MB vehicles, it's approx. 2%. Since window tint usually comes in increments of 5%, the maximum tint you'd be allowed is 40%. Combined with the factory tint, that would give you a VLT of 38%, which would be legal in Nevada.
@GLE43_Sube and @GLE John - incredible advice. Thank you so much for the time and help, much appreciated! Will post pics with what I decide on. Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Please go "ceramic" tint, after my first vehicle with ceramic I can't use nothing else.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:18 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by wally AMG
Please go "ceramic" tint, after my first vehicle with ceramic I can't use nothing else.
Thanks @wally AMG , can I ask what you like about it? I'm still researching all the types of tint and am familiarizing myself so it would be helpful. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2019, 02:06 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
this video may show you the difference.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you want to be hippest - then for Desert.. check out 3M Crystalline - 97% block infra-red/IR and 99% block UV - use "clear" to "tint" front windshield - sunroof - and add additional IR and UV reduction for rear cabin windows/tailgate . Use tinted for front driver/passenger window:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud

Yes - 3M installers in Las Vegas and Henderson