GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How are you dealing with infamous AC smell issue on your GLE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550
Grateful for all that info, fabbrisd1. Definitely looking at all this in a new light. I've had asthma most of my life, so I'm sure this isn't helping me.

I'll be changing the cabin filters first, then getting the spray to clean out the ducts. Will follow the instructions you listed for general daily use. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc300
I’m selling

I came on searching to see if the GLE had the same problems as our GLC. My wife has a 17 GLC with maybe 15k on it that she feels sick every time she drives from the smell or mold. I was toying on getting the 20 GLE but was fearful of the same problem as she told me today she’s selling it because she’s sick of fighting a losing battle with her ac. She loves her car otherwise. Clearly this is wider spread to more models based on this thread so I guess I need to look at something else. It’s crazy they still haven’t figured out how to fix what virtually all other manufacturers have solved long ago and seemingly don’t care to as it’s still going on.

Just sell and move on. Save your health and avoid all the chemicals your adding and the mold this system creates.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 ML350 W166 4Matic 3.5
First I would like to thank the OP for raising this issue. I live in Houston where the AC is on and working heavily 8 months of a year. My ML350 has this issue since I bought it in 2014. There is a thread somewhere in here that someone had gained access to the evaporator coil by removing some panel under the glove compartment. Then he spayed a cleaning agent to clean the coils and kill the mildew. I can't find it anymore but this seems to be a good way but rather tedious to temporarily get rid of the AC smell...
The following 2 users liked this post by W166:
Dinismb (05-07-2023), lightninhopkins (01-13-2020)