GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Camper towing with my GLE 350

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:43 PM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
It's unclear how long or if Furrion will have 2 adapters (from an earlier post the F2BC001XXBK AND F2BC002XXBK) going forward, but after first being sent the 002 (shorter solid version) that was bad from stock, I was sent the 001 which was better in my mind not pushing the trailer wiring so close to the ground with the 7-pin connector already low to the ground. Looking back at other posts, I'd say you had a defective 002 adapter as well. Mine originally made a clicking sound like a regular turn-signal relay makes and you could subtly see trailer marker lights pulse with the clicking sound. If Furrion is still shipping the 001 it may pay to contact them directly like I did, when nobody had them in stock, and see what they can do. It makes camera operation plug-and-play once again.

Since this affected
Mercedes and other foreign made vehicles, and now all American 2019 and newer vehicles as I mentioned in an earlier post, adapters at least simplify the operation with nothing additional to do to not accidentally drain the battery either. I've only had the opportunity to drive to winter storage with the Furrion observation camera working properly and to have a microphone (useful for campsite parking) along with night vision, it's nice overall to have the effect of an unobstructed rear-view just as if the trailer wasn't blocking the view.

Originally Posted by DMax10S
Just an update to my issues with making the Furrion camera work with my 2020 GLE 350. I was not able to make the Furrion camera work all the time even with the 7-pin Adapter. (I was loosing the camera signal when the turn signals or brake lights were activated. I asked my trailer dealer to connect the trailer running lights to the trailer battery (with a switch) and not from the tow vehicle. This was done very cleanly at the front of the trailer with the installation of a switch placed next to the battery switch. This solved the problem perfectly and eliminated the need for a 7-pin adapter. My advice to folks experiencing this problem would be to try the 7-pin adapter first. If that works, great. If not, install a switch and connect the running lights to the trailer battery. For me, the cost of the wiring and switch was about 50% more than the adapter solution. I was able though to get a partial refund from the trailer dealer by returning my slightly used adapter.

I also understand that my trailer dealer is seeing this same issue show up on some other newer model cars.

Last edited by SUV John; 01-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DMax10S (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE350
Good points. When I first picked up my trailer, we first tried no adapter (camera didn’t work at all) and then tried 2 in-line adapters (F2BC002XXBK) where the camera worked most of the time, but not when the brake lights were on. Before I had the running lights power source changed, we did try yet another in-line adapter before proceeding. That said, we never did try a pig-tail adapter (F2BC001XXBK maybe because my dealer did not have one?).

I am going to pass on your advice about the pig-tail adapter model to my dealer. For now though I am just happy I finally have the camera working when I need it.

Originally Posted by GLE John
It's unclear how long or if Furrion will have 2 adapters (from an earlier post the F2BC001XXBK AND F2BC002XXBK) going forward, but after first being sent the 002 (shorter solid version) that was bad from stock, I was sent the 001 which was better in my mind not pushing the trailer wiring so close to the ground with the 7-pin connector already low to the ground. Looking back at other posts, I'd say you had a defective 002 adapter as well. Mine originally made a clicking sound like a regular turn-signal relay makes and you could subtly see trailer marker lights pulse with the clicking sound. If Furrion is still shipping the 001 it may pay to contact them directly like I did, when nobody had them in stock, and see what they can do. It makes camera operation plug-and-play once again.

Since this affected
Mercedes and other foreign made vehicles, and now all American 2019 and newer vehicles as I mentioned in an earlier post, adapters at least simplify the operation with nothing additional to do to not accidentally drain the battery either. I've only had the opportunity to drive to winter storage with the Furrion observation camera working properly and to have a microphone (useful for campsite parking) along with night vision, it's nice overall to have the effect of an unobstructed rear-view just as if the trailer wasn't blocking the view.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:07 AM

Furrion came up with version 002 so if there are ones available they may need to be requested directly from Furrion. I plan to contact Furrion again to ask the 001 continue to be available since I feel for MB vehicles anyway, that the 002 puts the trailer harness too low to the ground when plugging in the adapter to the vehicle's 7-pin connector. The factory 7-pin could always be re-angled I suppose. Brake lights, running lights with camera on, and turn signals all work properly with the current 001 adapter I am using- as designed!

From Furrion, I have the 5" monitor version and currently do not have the side marker light cameras which I'm not sure I will end up getting having the tow mirrors that work fairly well. Good luck!

Originally Posted by DMax10S
Good points. When I first picked up my trailer, we first tried no adapter (camera didn’t work at all) and then tried 2 in-line adapters (F2BC002XXBK) where the camera worked most of the time, but not when the brake lights were on. Before I had the running lights power source changed, we did try yet another in-line adapter before proceeding. That said, we never did try a pig-tail adapter (F2BC001XXBK maybe because my dealer did not have one?).

I am going to pass on your advice about the pig-tail adapter model to my dealer. For now though I am just happy I finally have the camera working when I need it.
DMax10S (01-08-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 11:15 PM

Jeep GC
Hey GLE John, how does your rig do at freeway speeds when passed by a semi rig on the left? How much push do you get?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2021, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lance Smith
Hey GLE John, how does your rig do at freeway speeds when passed by a semi rig on the left? How much push do you get?

Thanks!
Actually not much and I believe it’s due, in part, to the MORryde suspension upgrade I did. I added a cross-brace to the center equalizer position, and upgrade equalizer, and an upgraded shackle kit with greaseable bolts. I would not have imagined that manufactures use plastic bushings, but the bronze bushings installed with the suspension kit contribute to improved stability.
Being passed on either side, or driving between two semi trucks which was interesting to say the least, wasn’t a problem really. High wind gusts that affect any vehicle were more of an issue. 30 mph wind gusts were manageable, but took a focused effort while driving in those conditions.

MORryde suspension components
Old 02-05-2021, 07:14 AM

09 ML350
Question: Do you guys with 166 need an adapter so the LED trailer lights will work?
I know the 164 did not like LED lights. I have found a couple adapters, curt 57003 and, tow ready 20142 . I am renting a trailer next week on rvshare (to decide if I want to buy one).
I ordered one just incase but I do not know if it will arrive in time (most places do not have stock).
I have a 14 GL450.

Last edited by Subman; 02-07-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Subman
Question: Do you guys with 166 need an adapter so the LED trailer lights will work?
I know the 164 did not like LED lights. I have found a couple adapters, curt 57003 and, tow ready 20142 . I am renting a trailer next week on rvshare (to decide if I want to buy one).
I ordered one just incase but I do not know if it will arrive in time (most places do not have stock).
I have a 14 GL450.
As my profile shows, I have a '16 GLE350. The issue I encountered wasn't LED lights "hyperflashing" as described online or lamp-out messages, it was the CANBUS system modulating power to the trailer's running light circuit which interrupted power to the rear observation camera wired in to that circuit. The Tekonsha P3 brake controller didn't have a problem otherwise just plugged into the 7-pin connector. See earlier posts for the Furrion adapter I got to solve my observation camera problem.
If you have a pigtail from places like E-trailer.com that connects an electric brake controller to the car's connector, you may be good to go.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:42 AM

09 ML350
GLE John,
Thank you, this thread has been a great resource. Lot of information on issues and fixes for the problems that may arise when towing a camper.
The camper I am renting does not have a back up camera, but when I buy one I will get one.
Since you did not get "hyper flashing" I am assuming that you have no issues with the LED running lights?
From most of the reviews on the adapters it seems like 90% of them are for 164. This what makes me think that the 166 is ok with the LED lights.
The car senses the amount of current that the lights use to determine if a light is out and since LED lights use so little current the car thinks that the lights are out. The adapters just add a resistor to fool the car.

Thank you
Old 02-17-2021, 01:10 PM

MB GLE350 4Matic
Hi John,

Just wonder if your electric brake controller Tekonsha prodigy p3 90195?
I have a 2017 GLE 350 4Matic. Do I still need weight distribution system?

Thanks much!
George
Old 02-17-2021, 01:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2107 MB GLE 350
Originally Posted by Subman
I have a 14 GL450.
Yes you need an adapter, because the LED don't pull enough current, which will trigger the lamp out sensor on your 166. I bought this adapter for my trailer hitch carrier (etrailer), which I added LED lights to. Its also just a great adapter for 7 way RV connector to the more common 4 way flat connector:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html

mikapen (05-08-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by gxynew
Hi John,

Just wonder if your electric brake controller Tekonsha prodigy p3 90195?
I have a 2017 GLE 350 4Matic. Do I still need weight distribution system?

Thanks much!
George
I have the Prodigy P3 and I like it for the info it provides and it's easy to understand and use.
Yes on the weight distribution hitch. There are many price points and features available and it's good to have not only for distributing weight on the axles, but for the sway control it helps with. Our dealer carried the Fastway E2, and we went with that. There are ones that cost more and offer even higher sway control and it's one of the decisions to factor in. I'm satisfied with what it does towing roughly 6,000 lbs of cargo and camper. I may upgrade someday just to have even better sway control.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:05 PM

MB GLE350 4Matic
Thanks so much!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:53 PM

GLE 400 4matic
I bought my 2019 GLE 400 after reading here

Originally Posted by GLE John

A rarity in the world of camping where pickup trucks are the main vehicle of choice, here's an example of a Mercedes-Benz out in the wild towing a 5,000 pound dry weight camper. There's a weight distribution hitch on the A-frame that also adds sway control which should not be an option- it really adds a lot of control in addition to the GLE's ABS and sway control functions.

I chose the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 which has very useful diagnostics and has a more useful display (in my opinion) than traditional electronic brake controllers. This pairs up with a Tekonsha 3066-P wire harness that plugs into the factory Mercedes connector under the carpet behind the brake pedal. There is NO wiring of any kind to do with a factory installed trailer hitch making this a truly "plug-and-play"setup.

Aside from discovering a 2-pin connector in the right rear cargo compartment that was not connected from the factory, after plugging it in all brake indications and functionality was restored. NOTE: electronic brake controller testers and emulators do not function correctly with Mercedes-Benz vehicles--- even ones with "resistance loads" built into them like the Tekonsha Trailer Emulator does. My Tekonsha Trailer Emulator, as the RV dealer's tester did, just flashed half the test lights leaving it unclear whether the system is working correctly or not. Bottom line, I understand why the service manager made a tester himself to use on Mercedes-Benz vehicles to confirm proper wiring connections.

With electric trailer brakes working and properly set up, it was a dream to tow, and stop, our new Grey Wolf MK23 travel trailer!

Lastly, as an experiment, with 50% E85 and 50% premium, trip computer indication showed a 2-mpg drop towing versus not-towing. There was a 3-mpg drop on average with 100% premium versus 50-50. Acceleration to interstate speed and uphill towing showed no change in performance with either fuel combination. Stay tuned with more to follow on my E85 topic.

BTW, with standard suspension and the weight distribution hitch doing its job, both the GLE 350 and the travel trailer were positioned well and handled great. No reservations, regrets, or second guessing deciding to tow with my 2016 GLE 350!
I bought my 2019 gle 400 4matic after reading here,

With factory Hitch and 7 way installed
I found the harness for brake controller under carpet under the brake pedal ordered a tekonsha POD controller with harness adapter installed it myself in 10 minutes and it works great.

I tow a 23 foot 3090 dry 4200lb wet 2021 Gulf stream vintage cruiser

Seems to pull easy

Wanted to add this:
MB dealer said that they cannot order the hitch for the MB Gle anymore and when they could in past cost for parts and labor run $4500

Its better to buy a GLE / GLS with the factory hitch since its ready to go with transmission cooler and all

Last edited by William Hudson; 03-07-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:23 PM

GLE 400 4matic
Originally Posted by Hugo Holdrinet
Are you guys using the Mercedes-Benz hitch receiver or did you use an after market ? I have a gle 400 with the air suspension and we are struggling to level it Do you know if there is a setting for the back pneumatic suspension to raise a little higher ? we were missing about 1 1/2 inches from front to back.

The trailer dealer does not wish to install a WD hitch since the owners manual of the GLE does not specifically allow for it ? Any thoughts ? Trailer dry weight 4200lbs and about 400 lbs tongue weight.

I am loosing my marbles here ... any help appreciated.
I using an adjustable up down hitch and level is fine on my GLE 400
Old 03-08-2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by William Hudson
I using an adjustable up down hitch and level is fine on my GLE 400
People do add aftermarket hitches although there is a lower tow rating than one factory installed. As far as the weight distribution hitch goes, that's a matter of a dealer not knowing about towing with a Mercedes-Benz as more do not tow than tow with one. With weight distribution and sway control it makes sense to use one. Get the best you can afford- there are different levels of sway control such as 2-point and 4-point I've heard described. We currently use a Fastway E2, but there are even better ones out there. If we were to upgrade to a more heavy-duty version, I'd go with Equal-i-zer 4-point (about $250 more).
The following 2 users liked this post by SUV John:
josedecuba (07-11-2023), William Hudson (03-08-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'17 AMG GLE 43
WD hitch is always a plus, but depending on the trailer, it may not be possible (my Trailex can't us/mount one). Need to check with Trailer manufacture to see if installing a WD Hitch is possible / recommended. Been towing for 3+year a enclosed Trailex car trailer. 4-5k loaded.
- Will get some push/suck when passed by semi trailers, no big issue, but you will notice the drift so just be prepared / micro adjust the steering wheel.
- Stop & Go and hill climb is no issue with GLE (AMG).
- Tow all season with either summer tires or winter tires.
- Upgrade to LED lights on the Trailex and the GLE has no issue with them.
- I do set air suspension in GLE to Sport, helps with porpoising.

An all-around great 5K tow vehicle.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Over payloard

How much is the payload for your car? I own the 2017 GLE350 4matic (tow package) and the payloard in my car is just over 1000lbs. As far as I know, the hitch weight of your greywolf trailer is over 400lbs. If you add up the weight of the WDH you added, it would be dangerous, even if you're always traveling alone, as you're approaching the peak of your car's payloard. If you have a companion, it is not safe for your car and trailer to drive on the road beyond the peak, and if there is an accident you will not receive any compensation from insurance. I'm not an expert and I recently looked for a towable travle trailer in my suv and learned how to calculate the towable limit of my suv, and as a result I found that many people tow beyond the capabilities of their own vehicle.
I would be very grateful if you could give me the right information if I know something wrong. I tried to buy a 21ft long ,dry weight 3200lbs/ hitch weigh 320lbs small trailer for my family of four, and gave up knowing that it was impossible to towing with my GLE.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:04 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'17 AMG GLE 43

2017 GLE TOWING CAPACITY

GLE350 6,600
GLE350 4MATIC 7,200
GLE400 7,200
GLE43 7,200
GLE63 7,200
GLE63 S 7,200

GLE 350 Payload Capacity: 1,631 lbs
Add tongue weight (target 450 lbs or ~10% of trailer weight) to SUV Capacity plus Cargo in SUV (not in trailer) and People in SUV to reach SUV GVW. Moving Cargo to trailer can lower the SUV GVW, but raise the trailer tongue weight (~10:1) depending on cargo loading in trailer. If below 6600 in trailer move the load rearward/forward to change the tongue weight on SUV to change SUV GVW.

Would consider the WD Hitch as weight on trailer side of the above equation. Bolt WD rig to trailer and then load balance trailer to get to ~10% of trailer weight resting on SUV hitch. Can be done on level ground to measure trailer hitch "ball" weight on SUV with two bathroom scale set up (WalMarts) or specialized ($$$) hitch ball scale. This assume the trailer axles can hold the cargo load/GVW and the overall trailer weight doesn't now exceed SUV towing capacity (6600) as cargo moves from SUV to trailer to offload SUV GVW.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kim Hinsdale
How much is the payload for your car? I own the 2017 GLE350 4matic (tow package) and the payloard in my car is just over 1000lbs. As far as I know, the hitch weight of your greywolf trailer is over 400lbs. If you add up the weight of the WDH you added, it would be dangerous, even if you're always traveling alone, as you're approaching the peak of your car's payloard. If you have a companion, it is not safe for your car and trailer to drive on the road beyond the peak, and if there is an accident you will not receive any compensation from insurance. I'm not an expert and I recently looked for a towable travle trailer in my suv and learned how to calculate the towable limit of my suv, and as a result I found that many people tow beyond the capabilities of their own vehicle.
I would be very grateful if you could give me the right information if I know something wrong. I tried to buy a 21ft long ,dry weight 3200lbs/ hitch weigh 320lbs small trailer for my family of four, and gave up knowing that it was impossible to towing with my GLE.
Kein Ersatz posted nice info for numbers on your 2017 and the unloaded weight of the trailer you mentioned is under half of your towing capacity.
All our camping gear is around 400 pounds for everything we put in the camper putting our camper at 5006+400= 5,406 pounds. The hitch head and bars weighs about 50-55 pounds adding to hitch (bumper) weight. 2 adults and what we put in the car is approx. 450 pounds- all well under vehicle weights.
Your hitch weight example of 320 pounds would be as advertised for the camper you were looking at or what the weight distribution hitch distributes- that is determined during setup. For example, we didn't have the proper setup at first when the leveled the camper with the WDH empty at the dealership. When we loaded the car and camper up it was too low on the car requiring a new shank for us and adjusting the setup. We need a WDH for published hitch weight or we'd be 50 pounds on the bumper over. The WDH also adds sway control so for us it make sense for multiple reasons. We also do not tow with any water not wanting to add around 380 extra pounds.

Loading to max camper weight will not be done by us so at around 6,000 pounds of total towed weight and with the electric brake controller along with the vehicle's horsepower, have had no trouble on 2 seasons of camping. Last summer was a trip between Ohio and Wisconsin with the only cautious moments were the 30-50 mph crosswinds in a thunderstorm when we slowed it way down.

Any camping store, Camping World or independent, should be able to go through all the numbers based on what you are interested in to tell you whether your choice is okay or not.

Last edited by SUV John; 03-16-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Payload

This is my 2017 GLE350 4matic payload. As you can see, unlike Google searches and advertisements, the actual payload is low.
Your car's payloard can be seen on a sticker on the driver's door jamb. Just because you haven't passed the GCWR doesn't guarantee that your vehicle is safely towing. You must check the payload. The payload is important. Your car's playloard includes that the all passengers and items PLUS the trailer's hitch weight. WDT and additional brakes do nothing to reduce or increase the number of towing capabilities of the vehicle. As you know, they are just incidental safety devices. I hope you check it out for your own safety, it might be helpful to weigh your vehicle in a place like a cat sacle. And I would like to inform people who would like to read this article and buy a travel trailer. Before buying a trailer, be sure to calculate your vehicle's towing capacity yourself. There is a lot of information on how to do calculations on Google or YouTube.
Stay safe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kim Hinsdale:
mikapen (06-13-2021), shuba (10-03-2022)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:49 AM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
I've been towing trailers for over 40 years... best rule of thumb is if you approach 80% of load ratings for distance or highway travel or no more than 90% for local, slower speed travel, you need a bigger vehicle...
Old 05-07-2021, 07:52 PM

GLE350W4
GLE350W4 Auto-leveling

Hi, All,
My wife and I recently purchased a Winnbego Minnie 2500FL (25', 5600lbs dry weight) camper as I am now partially retired and we want to do more traveling and camping. To tow this beast I upgraded from a 2012 ML350 4matic without hitch to a 2016 GLE350 4matic with factory installed tow hitch. I'll post a picture when the weather clears up. I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors as the rotors were worn when I purchased it. I installed a PrimusIQ brake controller as the RV shop said that it had all I needed for brake control without the added costs. I also purchased the extended mirrors that were recommended here in this forum. I have a 1000ft long driveway that I have been practicing on for backing up . I have one question that I need help with as I am a bit confused with some other comments on this forum. I was under the impression that the GLE350 4matic came with auto-leveling of the suspension. However when I hooked up the trailer which has an approximate tongue weight of 575lbs, empty weight, the GLE350 did not level. What I am missing? Did I miss the year? Did I need to look for a specific option? I bought this from a MB dealer as a CPO. I asked them, after the fact, and they said it DOES NOT have auto-leveling. What did I miss? Your comments and feedback is much appreciated.

[Edit] This is a 2019 Winnabego and it does have a WD hitch with the older chains. It does seem to help a bit but the rear suspension is still compressed and the car is not level. I have inflated the tires to the max of 45psi.
[Edit 2] And, yes, I am experiencing power problems with my Voyager Wireless Observation System which seems to be wired into the running lights of the camper. It works intermittently but not when I need it when backing up. Aaargh!

Last edited by rwsmith61; 05-07-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by rwsmith61
Hi, All,
My wife and I recently purchased a Winnbego Minnie 2500FL (25', 5600lbs dry weight) camper as I am now partially retired and we want to do more traveling and camping. To tow this beast I upgraded from a 2012 ML350 4matic without hitch to a 2016 GLE350 4matic with factory installed tow hitch. I'll post a picture when the weather clears up. I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors as the rotors were worn when I purchased it. I installed a PrimusIQ brake controller as the RV shop said that it had all I needed for brake control without the added costs. I also purchased the extended mirrors that were recommended here in this forum. I have a 1000ft long driveway that I have been practicing on for backing up . I have one question that I need help with as I am a bit confused with some other comments on this forum. I was under the impression that the GLE350 4matic came with auto-leveling of the suspension. However when I hooked up the trailer which has an approximate tongue weight of 575lbs, empty weight, the GLE350 did not level. What I am missing? Did I miss the year? Did I need to look for a specific option? I bought this from a MB dealer as a CPO. I asked them, after the fact, and they said it DOES NOT have auto-leveling. What did I miss? Your comments and feedback is much appreciated.

[Edit] This is a 2019 Winnabego and it does have a WD hitch with the older chains. It does seem to help a bit but the rear suspension is still compressed and the car is not level. I have inflated the tires to the max of 45psi.
[Edit 2] And, yes, I am experiencing power problems with my Voyager Wireless Observation System which seems to be wired into the running lights of the camper. It works intermittently but not when I need it when backing up. Aaargh!
Even if you had a M-B with air-leveling, you should disengage it while setting up your WDH. THAT is the only thing that will restore weight to your steering axle. With air, AFTER you have leveled your tow vehicle, then you can engage the air. You don't have air, so ignore the air part - it was a comment for folks with sir suspenders.

Take an afternoon and start an entire new process of setting up the WDH. You may need to give more head tilt (I recommend max tilt) and tighten the bars.

I disagree with a previous comment that more money spent on a WDH gives better performance. Our EaZ-Lift with 2 friction sway bars was the cheapest on the market, but by many measures gave the best performance.
IMO, setup and loading is much more important than "which hitch."
Old 05-16-2021, 10:22 PM

GLE350W4
Hi, All,
1. So the first problem with my GLE350 not leveling was that my hitch height was not high enough for this trailer even with the WD hitch that I had. We had purchased the trailer from a nice couple that had a Ford F150 truck and the hitch that they gave us with the trailer was for a F150. I took it to an RV dealer in my area and after some discussion we decided that we should upgrade to the E2 WD hitch that has been recommended in this forum. What a difference it has made in the leveling and handling of the Winnebego Minne 2500FL trailer.
2, Regarding the problems of connecting a camera to the running lights or reverse lights these new systems use a Pulse Width Modulated electrical system to limit the current and hence brightness of the running lights. The problem is that the cameras need a constant current in order to stay on and the PWM electrical system can't provide that. What is needed is a switch relay with the appropriate diode and relay with a capacitor to throw a relay switch to connect to the trailer battery to energize the camera and anything else needed while the running lights are on. If any one knows a solution or a qualified Electronics technician that can build one (it should be small and compact) then I am up for purchasing it and installing it in my trailer to properly provide power directly from the trailer battery but still be engaged when the running lights are on.

Our house if off a major two lane thouroghofare and I have already crushed our mailbox and hit the fence and bent the spare tire rack as I am blind to the sharp reverse turn I have to make to backup the trailer onto our 1000ft driveway. It is very nerve wracking without a proper functioning backup camera. Please respond to this post or the forum if you have a solution of know someone that can put this together. I have been looking online for a solution and have not yet found what is needed.

Last edited by rwsmith61; 05-16-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by rwsmith61
Hi, All,
1. So the first problem with my GLE350 not leveling was that my hitch height was not high enough for this trailer even with the WD hitch that I had. We had purchased the trailer from a nice couple that had a Ford F150 truck and the hitch that they gave us with the trailer was for a F150. I took it to an RV dealer in my area and after some discussion we decided that we should upgrade to the E2 WD hitch that has been recommended in this forum. What a difference it has made in the leveling and handling of the Winnebego Minne 2500FL trailer.
2, Regarding the problems of connecting a camera to the running lights or reverse lights these new systems use a Pulse Width Modulated electrical system to limit the current and hence brightness of the running lights. The problem is that the cameras need a constant current in order to stay on and the PWM electrical system can't provide that. What is needed is a switch relay with the appropriate diode and relay with a capacitor to throw a relay switch to connect to the trailer battery to energize the camera and anything else needed while the running lights are on. If any one knows a solution or a qualified Electronics technician that can build one (it should be small and compact) then I am up for purchasing it and installing it in my trailer to properly provide power directly from the trailer battery but still be engaged when the running lights are on.

Our house if off a major two lane thouroghofare and I have already crushed our mailbox and hit the fence and bent the spare tire rack as I am blind to the sharp reverse turn I have to make to backup the trailer onto our 1000ft driveway. It is very nerve wracking without a proper functioning backup camera. Please respond to this post or the forum if you have a solution of know someone that can put this together. I have been looking online for a solution and have not yet found what is needed.
- For the hitch height, you likely need a different shank like we did that when installed in the correct position, allows for the hitch head to be installed to allow for the correct towing height.
- The Furrion 7-pin adapter we use is mentioned earlier in this topic and since we purchased from Furrion, etrailer.com also has an adapter that connects between the 7-pin connector and the trailer connector. This solves the constant power problem that interrupts an observation camera from transmitting being wired to the running light circuit.
mikapen (05-19-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Camper towing with my GLE 350