Sponsored By:

Service B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Service B

Hi all, We bought a used 2016 GLE 350, certified. 4 months, and 4,000 miles later, the service B light has come on. The MB dealership where I bought it, is saying I need to bring it in for the service, at my expense (approx. 500.00). I’m wondering if this should have been checked and serviced with the certified warranty. Any thoughts out there?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
No warranty covers the periodical service - oil, filters, technical check etc., if the latter is not especially included in the sale offer as new, as with BMW in some countries.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'17 AMG GLE 43
Yup non warranty (mileage flag), but would have been a nice from the dealer before selling you the used SUV to do the upcoming service (oil change...). That tells you about that dealer, since it will be out of pocket, take your business elsewhere. Find a local Benz independent mechanic and save your $s, these ("A", "B") are easy things to perform if no warranty work needed.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (03-06-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Thank you for your thoughts. That’s what I was thinking too, and glad to have a little back up opinion. Seems a little petty that they would charge me another 500 for service “B”, after only 4 months.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:05 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Agree, seems like they should give you a break. Not sure how car savy you are, but i never do the entire Service A or B thing. I look in the maintenance book and see what they inspect. I only get them to give me a price on things I can't . Like, checking windshield wipers, etc. On service B, I think they want the dust and other filters changed, which is not part of the A service. Also, go to the the web site of the dealer and they usually have service coupons, use them. Normally if you work with the same service advisor, he can work with you on the price

I have two Mercedes dealer and I always check the prices of each and if one has a coupon I get the other to recognize it.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:53 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
Originally Posted by yama11
Hi all, We bought a used 2016 GLE 350, certified. 4 months, and 4,000 miles later, the service B light has come on. The MB dealership where I bought it, is saying I need to bring it in for the service, at my expense (approx. 500.00). I’m wondering if this should have been checked and serviced with the certified warranty. Any thoughts out there?
My dealership that we have bought 3 CPO vehicles from performs a service B as part of their certification process. One of the many reasons we continually purchase vehicles from them.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Agreed, that is a crappy dealer. But to “certify” the car, shouldn’t they have done a service on it anyway?
Old 02-20-2020, 01:26 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Agreed, that is a crappy dealer. But to “certify” the car, shouldn’t they have done a service on it anyway?
That would be my thinking, as well. We were given a copy of each certification checklist with our CPO purchases and what items were serviced or replaced.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:01 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Originally Posted by DMWelk
That would be my thinking, as well. We were given a copy of each certification checklist with our CPO purchases and what items were serviced or replaced.
I would go back to the dealer and ask them to cover the cost for a B service. That’s ridiculous. I’ve heard so much about how big deal e Certified MB is. Apparently not. If they don’t budge. I would write a complaint letter to MB headquarters in Atlanta.
what a bunch of rip off artists.
I use coupons from the dealer website. There is Lao a dealer near me that has very good specials A service for $90 and B service for $299- no break fluid change though.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:42 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
As I just had a B3 60,000 mile check done, I found it enlightening what is and isn't done going back to CPO work done. When asking about what specifically is done when certifying a car, my local dealer stated that if it meets specifications, they do not necessarily replace or change that item- such as brakes, tires, filters, or whatever.
Perhaps some dealers will change the "close" items, but it seems these days that more than 1 person reports their dealer doesn't.

Last edited by SUV John; 03-06-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by GLE John
As I just had a B3 60,000 mile check done, I found it enlightening what is and isn't done going back to CPO work done. When asking about what specifically is done when certifying a car, my local dealer stated that if it meets specifications, they do not necessarily replace or change that item- such as brakes, tires, filters, or whatever.
Perhaps some dealers will change the "close" items, but is seems these days that more than 1 person reports their dealer doesn't.
Did you have “B3 Service “ pop up on your dash (as with B1 and. 2) ?
I’m at 61K mi and had B2 pop up on y dash and performed B2 service.
What work was performed and how much it cost ?
Ditto that when the dealer is selling you a CPO car, they make it sound like they did the most extensive and thorough check and repair ever done on a vehicle. When I see what they “actually check and do, is very far from what they “say”
Old 03-06-2020, 01:38 PM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Roni07
Did you have “B3 Service “ pop up on your dash (as with B1 and. 2) ?
I’m at 61K mi and had B2 pop up on y dash and performed B2 service.
What work was performed and how much it cost ?
Ditto that when the dealer is selling you a CPO car, they make it sound like they did the most extensive and thorough check and repair ever done on a vehicle. When I see what they “actually check and do, is very far from what they “say”
The B3 message popped up I believe around 500 miles before. When reset it went to A1 due in 10,0000 where I would have expected A4 for the 70,000 mile check.

I'll have to go through the checklist items, that I had to ask for, when I wanted to specifically know what was done. Originally, I did the oil change myself, wanted to skip the overpriced Mercedes wiper blades (I'll see what MB online or OEM ones are priced like), and have them do everything else indicated by Mercedes.

The transmission fluid and filter was big to me since I tow a camper with this, and the brake fluid change was too. Since my brakes were low, but not worn out, they didn't do the brake fluid since they want to do that at a pad and rotor change. Fortunately, it had been done at some time prior to buying it so my total mileage is under 60,000 for the recommended interval change and isn't really due yet. Other than believing the brake fluid was included in the $500 quote, I found out when I picked it up that the brake fluid change would have cost extra versus taking money off since it wasn't done.

I'll post a list of done versus not done from the MB checklist as soon as I can.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by GLE John
The B3 message popped up I believe around 500 miles before. When reset it went to A1 due in 10,0000 where I would have expected A4 for the 70,000 mile check.

I'll have to go through the checklist items, that I had to ask for, when I wanted to specifically know what was done. Originally, I did the oil change myself, wanted to skip the overpriced Mercedes wiper blades (I'll see what MB online or OEM ones are priced like), and have them do everything else indicated by Mercedes.

The transmission fluid and filter was big to me since I tow a camper with this, and the brake fluid change was too. Since my brakes were low, but not worn out, they didn't do the brake fluid since they want to do that at a pad and rotor change. Fortunately, it had been done at some time prior to buying it so my total mileage is under 60,000 for the recommended interval change and isn't really due yet. Other than believing the brake fluid was included in the $500 quote, I found out when I picked it up that the brake fluid change would have cost extra versus taking money off since it wasn't done.

I'll post a list of done versus not done from the MB checklist as soon as I can.
Funny, I’m at 61K mi and only B2 service piped up.
i was quoted $600 for B2 with break fluid flush.
I used a dealer promo coupon -$75 but instead of going down to $525 , went down even more to $498.
All work was performed as outlined.
An other dealer quoted me $399 for B2 but upon further discussion , found out had to pay an extra $100 for the “comprehensive” B2 with the break fluid flush.
worked out perfect at my dealer with the discount and didn’t have to drive farther.
It’s really playing words and somewhat deceitful, what the other dealer was offering.
My dealer doesn’t do that and only has one B2 service e and does the whole thing. I like that.