Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Low Mileage with B5 service !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
Question Low Mileage with B5 service !!!

My car is a low mileage car. 2016 GLE 350 bought in 2015 Dec. It just has 24000 miles. I had purchased 2 services A & B, so did after 1 year and 2 year @7K and 15K.
Again Service A reminder came at 20K and I did it myself. Now at 24K, I receive B5 service reminder. Not sure what is this. No aggressive driving, parked inside the garage; not sure why this service reminder. It's 4.5 years and 24K miles - I am a bit confused.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:49 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
Originally Posted by Guddu
My car is a low mileage car. 2016 GLE 350 bought in 2015 Dec. It just has 24000 miles. I had purchased 2 services A & B, so did after 1 year and 2 year @7K and 15K.
Again Service A reminder came at 20K and I did it myself. Now at 24K, I receive B5 service reminder. Not sure what is this. No aggressive driving, parked inside the garage; not sure why this service reminder. It's 4.5 years and 24K miles - I am a bit confused.
Service reminders are based on mileage and time. Every 10K miles or every year whatever come 1st. It appears you are only driving roughly 6K miles per year. If the reminder is reset after each service, then in your case being you are not reaching the 10K miles within a years time the reminder is going to come on after 365 days.
The following users liked this post:
Guddu (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 05:55 PM

GLE 350
Thank you DM.

I checked the last date of service and it has been a year. Your explanation is right about the reminders.

B5 service would mean 5th service. Has anyone else got this reminder?

Should I follow the vehicle's message or use own judgement to delay the service. Accordingly, I should be at 45K now (@ 10K/yr) and die for about 40 K service. But here I am at 25K doing 40K service. Any advice from experts of low milers?
Old 06-20-2020, 06:33 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
Originally Posted by Guddu
Thank you DM.

I checked the last date of service and it has been a year. Your explanation is right about the reminders.

B5 service would mean 5th service. Has anyone else got this reminder?

Should I follow the vehicle's message or use own judgement to delay the service. Accordingly, I should be at 45K now (@ 10K/yr) and die for about 40 K service. But here I am at 25K doing 40K service. Any advice from experts of low milers?
I'll see if I can explain this so it makes sense. When it comes to servicing, certain services are based on time and others on mileage. For example fluids break down over time, oil, brake fluid and transmission fluid. Others services are based on mileage like spark plugs. I believe spark plugs are usually replaced at 60K miles. So if you reach the 60K service and you only have 36K miles it isn't totally necessary to replace them. I believe transmission is serviced at 70K miles. Obviously you won't have reached 70K miles but being that transmission fluid degrades over time you may want to have that serviced. Another thing to consider is whether you have an extended warranty or are still within your factory warranty. Extended warranty repairs can be denied on whether you are maintaining the vehicle based on factory guidelines. So that is something to consider as well. Before my wife and I owned MB vehicles we both owned Ford's and our service advisor was awesome. He would explain at each service what was recommended at that time and what he deemed necessary based on mileage or time. Unfortunately he passed from cancer. Not long after we switched car brands and one of the reasons was because of our service experience after he was no longer there.

Last edited by DMWelk; 06-20-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:15 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by DMWelk
I'll see if I can explain this so it makes sense. When it comes to servicing, certain services are based on time and others on mileage. For example fluids break down over time, oil, brake fluid and transmission fluid. Others services are based on mileage like spark plugs. I believe spark plugs are usually replaced at 60K miles. So if you reach the 60K service and you only have 36K miles it isn't totally necessary to replace them. I believe transmission is serviced at 70K miles. Obviously you won't have reached 70K miles but being that transmission fluid degrades over time you may want to have that serviced. Another thing to consider is whether you have an extended warranty or are still within your factory warranty. Extended warranty repairs can be denied on whether you are maintaining the vehicle based on factory guidelines. So that is something to consider as well. Before my wife and I owned MB vehicles we both owned Ford's and our service advisor was awesome. He would explain at each service what was recommended at that time and what he deemed necessary based on mileage or time. Unfortunately he passed from cancer. Not long after we switched car brands and one of the reasons was because of our service experience after he was no longer there.
This has been my experience as well with what you are saying about time and mileage intervals. My brake fluid, for example, wasn't due by time so my dealer didn't do it and said with brake pads due before the next service that it didn't need to be done then. The time interval applied to a dust filter too where I thought all checklist items were simply just done.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:33 AM

GLE 350
Thank you, DM for the explanation. To simply.

Let's say brake fluid is to be replaced after 4 years/40K
- Replace brake fluid after 4 years even if mileage is only 25K
- Replace brake fluid if mileage is 40K but has been only 2 years.
i.e. replace brake fluid whichever (4yr/40K comes first)

Another one - Cabin dust filter to be replaced at 40K
- Replace the filter at 40K - irrespective of time
In this case, time would not matter much.

Of course driving habit/conditions to be taken into account.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
It doesn’t make sense , does it ? 2016 GLE350 4Matic 66K miles. I’ve only done 2x B services. Haven’t seen anything with a B5.
my 2B service was done in FEB 2020 at 63K miles. 3B Service should be done in approximately 2 years

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2020, 04:19 PM

GLE 350
I resonate with you. My mileage is very low so let's go with time. I do not see how a B service is with an odd number.
A service every year or 10K miles; B service every 2 years or 20K miles. I wrote to Benz but no reply

End of 1st Year ( or 10K miles) - A1
End of 2st Year ( or 20K miles) - B2
End of 3rd Year (or 30K miles) - A3
End of 4th Year (or 40K miles) - B4
End of 5th Year (or 50K miles) - A5
End of 6th Year (or 60K miles) - B6

In your case, you are at 66K miles, assuming you did your B6 at 60K in FEB 2020; you are not due for A7 until Feb 2021.
Please check with the dealer or MB and do post your response.