GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Has ANYBODY with a 2016 GLE successfully enabled or activated Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2024, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350-2016
Smile Success on a very first 2016 GLE 350 produced Aug2015

My very first post here. I just registered to provide the info on how I made it work on my GLE350 from Aug 2015 (Model 2016). Thanks to this post I started looking online everywhere and also into WIS and found the following info in the AZ82.60-P-0028NKM doc (See attachments).
It takes roughly an hour although some dealers would like to get little bit more

STEP 1. Install the new multimedia interface A1728202000 (done by me in 5min, I used a very short knife to detach the old interface)
STEP 2. The main thing is adding ALL three codes to vedoc (some dealers only add 14U and wonder why it is not working):
Code 14U (Smartphone integration data card package)
Code 16U (Smartphone integration Carplay)
Code 17U (Smartphone integration Google Automotive Link)
Attach note "Smartphone integration package retrofitted as per AZ82.60-P-0028NKM" under field organization texts to DG 82
This can be done only be the dealer and needs an approval from Germany. So it takes about 2-5 days.
STEP 3. After the approval, ask the dealer to update the software of the head unit

Note: Use only a very good cable. After I got the update I tried it with my phone and the connection was breaking the whole time. I thought I just wasted time and money, but on some other place I read to buy an expensive cable and it is now super stable. I like it now since it is very well integrated. (Thinking of buying motorola ma1 and going completely wireless. I do not know if it will work as good as with the cable.)
--
Some more info:
I struggled finding a dealer because even after providing the above documents, many dealers refused to do it. Thankfully where I live there are many around so I found 2 that can do it.
I found a used part A1728202000 on ebay. Mercedes is actually selling A2468203800 which includes A1728202000 + two cables as a kit. But I do not need the cables since there is no USB-C. Mercedes discounted the part recently and there are very few in stock (something like 15? in the whole country).
If you have the early 2016 that has only Apple Carplay and not Android Auto, it can be done by adding the above 17U and updating the software.
The very first GLE 350 head units in 2015 as well as the ones in the model 2017 has the exact same HW A1669011403. Only the preinstalled software is different and that is why they have different part numbers. So no hardware obstacles.
Some folks online state that you do not even need to replace the multimedia interface. It should work with the old on. The new box just have a smartphone picture on one of the USBs to show you where to plug it in. But I have not verified it yet because somehow the trick with the knife is not working on my new box and I could not replace it to try it.

Hope the above can help. Thanks for all your info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AZ82.60-P-0028NKM-eng.pdf (206.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf
car-play.pdf (428.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by toshe; 09-02-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 All-terrain
Originally Posted by Bluemax350
I took my 2016 GLE 400 with a very early production (8/2015) to have smart phone integration added. Dealer had trouble coding, filed the XSF ticket and then told me it can't be done for my car since I have NTG 5*1, which I'm not sure is the full story since the documents say the retrofit is for 5*1.

The following week, I installed the Road Top aftermarket AA/carplay unit myself. Turns out I have the Mitsubishi head unit, as amusa mentioned it's probably the reason for incompatibility. Taking the head unit out was pretty simple, and since the cars are older now if anyone is contemplating going to the dealer for retrofit, might be a good idea to just remove the head unit first to see if you have a Mitsubishi or Panasonic to save some time and frustration
For GLE ( 166 and 292) all Units with SA Code 531 ( Comand Online) is compatible with CArplay and Android Auto, on older models a simple software update and a coding is enough.
If has SA Code 522, then is almost rare to be compatible with any of Phone Integration Package.

Only need to check Data Card from VIN decoder
Old 09-01-2024, 04:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 853 Likes on 661 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
For those who wish to update, feel free to msg