GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019

Has ANYBODY with a 2016 GLE successfully enabled or activated Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2021 | 07:20 AM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Has ANYBODY with a 2016 GLE successfully enabled or activated Android Auto?

According to my build sheet, my vehicle (produced February 2016) already has the following 2 options:
  • 14U Smartphone integration
  • 16U Apple Carplay smartphone integration

Apple Carplay already works fine (see photo), which means 16U is definitely present. And I do appear to have the 2 USB ports in my armrest cubby.

But no matter which Samsung USB cable I use (and I'm plugging it into the bottom USB port labeled "2" for smartphones), my car does not detect any connected Android phone and the Android Auto mobile app on my phone won't "see" or detect the car when manually performing a scan for new vehicles. Do I need to buy and use a Mercedes cable? How do I enable or activate Android Auto on my 2016 GLE? Does the dealer need to do it for me? Google says Android Auto was only (officially?) available from GLE model year 2017+, so does that mean there's no hope for me?

I thought those who had their dealer retrofit Smartphone Integration 14U (only available for GLE vehicles produced from July 2015 through November 2015, per https://configurator.mercedes-benz-a...ge_A2468203800) are able to use Android Auto, so how come my car, built Feb 2016 and already has 14U, can't access Android Auto?

Last edited by gearFX; 05-26-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2021 | 12:54 PM

2107 MB GLE 350
The first time you start either of these apps, they won't be automatic, at least that was my experience with Apple Car Play. Look in your Comand Instructions:
Select Telephone function on Comand (Tel)
Select the top function bar
Select Tel/<globe>
Select Android Auto
plug in phone

After successful connection, you can go back to this menu and choose an Option for Start Android Auto Automatically.
Old 05-27-2021 | 11:46 AM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Android Auto is not present in the early 2016's that were manufacture I think before July of that year. I've heard some folks have been successful with getting their dealerships to flash AA though, but it takes a lot of convincing and usually a contact to MBUSA to get it done. CarPlay is present on all models though, which is what caused me to switch to the Apple ecosystem.
Old 05-27-2021 | 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by gearFX
............But no matter which Samsung USB cable I use (and I'm plugging it into the bottom USB port labeled "2" for smartphones), my car does not detect any connected Android phone and the Android Auto mobile app on my phone won't "see" or detect the car when manually performing a scan for new vehicles. ............
Have you tried the other port?
Old 05-27-2021 | 01:48 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mikapen
Have you tried the other port?
Yes, no difference. Tried different cables too (just don't have an "official" Mercedes cable to try.

Originally Posted by Chip Mason
The first time you start either of these apps, they won't be automatic, at least that was my experience with Apple Car Play. Look in your Comand Instructions:
Select Telephone function on Comand (Tel)
Select the top function bar
Select Tel/<globe>
Select Android Auto
plug in phone

After successful connection, you can go back to this menu and choose an Option for Start Android Auto Automatically.
I don't seem to have those options in my Tel menu. It seems to want to make a BT connection only. See screenshots. (Also, I never did anything special to enable Apple CarPlay, it just worked as soon as I connected my iPhone and accepted a couple permission prompts).

Originally Posted by Skyline45
Android Auto is not present in the early 2016's that were manufacture I think before July of that year. I've heard some folks have been successful with getting their dealerships to flash AA though, but it takes a lot of convincing and usually a contact to MBUSA to get it done. CarPlay is present on all models though, which is what caused me to switch to the Apple ecosystem.
That could be my problem. I will inquire with the local dealer. Seems like early 2016 are in a middle gray area, since July 2016+ already included Android Auto, and builds through Nov 2015 can choose the retrofit.
Old 05-27-2021 | 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The above post with the pics, might indicate that you need to un-pair and re-pair the phone.
Old 05-28-2021 | 03:38 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
The above post with the pics, might indicate that you need to un-pair and re-pair the phone.
It doesn't seem to initiate any wired connection at all, just BT. I unpaired and deleted the phone from memory, and turned off BT on my phone just in case, but when attempting to connect via USB cable, the car only starts a BT scan, so it appears to be expecting a wireless connection only (via that menu). (But plugging in an iPhone immediately triggered a number of CarPlay connection events on the car and phone, suggesting the system detected it properly).
Old 05-29-2021 | 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I’m positive what Syline45 said is true. My ‘16 GLE400 had a Feb build date also (March delivery) and that’s when I remember I had to switch from an Android phone (which I always had) to an Apple phone because CarPlay was the only one that would work at the time. But I have heard that dealerships have “enabled” AA after some convincing from the car owner but I don’t remember which models.
Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by BACnMercedes:
gearFX (05-31-2021), Skyline45 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-29-2021 | 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This may have been asked before, but did you start the process with the App on the phone open?
Old 05-31-2021 | 10:30 AM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
This may have been asked before, but did you start the process with the App on the phone open?
Yes, I have tried to initiate the connection both ways (phone idle, and with Android Auto open performing an active scan using the "add a vehicle" process).

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I’m positive what Syline45 said is true. My ‘16 GLE400 had a Feb build date also (March delivery) and that’s when I remember I had to switch from an Android phone (which I always had) to an Apple phone because CarPlay was the only one that would work at the time. But I have heard that dealerships have “enabled” AA after some convincing from the car owner but I don’t remember which models.
Good luck
There must definitely be some truth to what Syline45 previously reported. I'm still waiting to hear back on what the dealer service dept is able to do for me. I will report back either way.
Old 06-04-2021 | 11:21 AM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
UPDATE: Success!

Android Auto has been enabled by the dealership service department, and it works great! It starts up automatically and immediately upon plugging my phone into the USB cable. Everything performs as expected, just like on my E450 wagon, though perhaps a little slower responding due to slower COMAND processor? Overall I'm pleased with the result considering there was a chance they couldn't do anything for me (no guarantees it would work, especially since even Google says Android Auto was only officially supported beginning with 2017 model year). The service tech ultimately had to submit an "XSF" ticket (to Germany) for a software update, and the dealer only charged me an hour of labor which I think is fair considering all of the research, testing, and back-and-forth with the HQ mothership. Apple CarPlay still works fine too, using the same USB port, so I'm a happy camper! Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Last edited by gearFX; 06-06-2021 at 09:32 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gearFX:
BlownV8 (06-05-2021), JoelCrow (10-26-2022), Mark.T (06-29-2022), Skyline45 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021 | 11:43 AM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe

Android Auto has been enabled by the dealership service department, and it works great! It starts up automatically and immediately upon plugging my phone into the USB cable. Everything performs as expected, just like on my E450 wagon, though perhaps a little slower responding due to slower COMAND processor? Overall I'm pleased with the result considering there was a chance they couldn't do anything for me (no guarantees it would work, specially since even Google says Android Auto was only officially supported beginning with 2017 model year). The service tech ultimately had to submit an "XSF" ticket (to Germany) for a software update, and the dealer only charged me an hour of labor which I think is fair considering all of the research and back-and-forth with the HQ mothership. Apple CarPlay still works fine too, using the same USB port, so I'm a happy camper! Thanks everyone for your assistance!

That's awesome to hear! Thanks for the update and I'm glad it all worked out!! I may have to reconsider this myself if I ever switch back to Android
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (06-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021 | 04:34 PM

2016 Mercedes Benz GLE 350
I also have a 2016 GLE 350 and was wondering if anyone had any success with the OBD activation tools such as this one:
Amazon Amazon
I am trying to get Android Auto so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2022 | 08:46 AM

2016 GLE 350

Android Auto has been enabled by the dealership service department, and it works great! It starts up automatically and immediately upon plugging my phone into the USB cable. Everything performs as expected, just like on my E450 wagon, though perhaps a little slower responding due to slower COMAND processor? Overall I'm pleased with the result considering there was a chance they couldn't do anything for me (no guarantees it would work, especially since even Google says Android Auto was only officially supported beginning with 2017 model year). The service tech ultimately had to submit an "XSF" ticket (to Germany) for a software update, and the dealer only charged me an hour of labor which I think is fair considering all of the research, testing, and back-and-forth with the HQ mothership. Apple CarPlay still works fine too, using the same USB port, so I'm a happy camper! Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Who would I need to contact for this if my vehicle was purchased at a Used Car dealer?
Old 06-28-2022 | 05:01 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Originally Posted by mjalil93
I also have a 2016 GLE 350 and was wondering if anyone had any success with the OBD activation tools such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HKT5H5N...roduct_details
Thanks!
Compatible models:
GLE-Class- X166 (Date of manufacture 01.2016+), That being said you better check your manufacture date anything below that date will need a firmware update and then you can use the OBD activation tools if your vehicle is equipped with the correct equipment's. I heard if you use that OBD activation tool before you update the software (firmware) you can brink up the system.

There have been two manufacturers of Audio-20 units, Mitsubishi and Panasonic. The Mitsubishi units do not support Car Play or Android Auto. The latest Panasonic units can support Car Play and Android Auto - but it is not clear when the NTG5*1 Panasonic units started supporting it. The NTG5*2 Panasonic units seem to all support Car Play and Android Auto. I need to dive into this deeper if this statement is true with the Mitsubishi Audio-20 head unit, not supporting Apple/Android.

COMAND NTG5*1 and COMAND NTG5.5 can support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Cars with NTG5*1 without these options will need a software update and a license package purchased to be installed correctly. Mercedes state that the warranty is void if you do not purchase the license package - I assume this just applies to the Audio system. COMAND NTG5*2 can not support Car Play or Android Auto.

There is pages and pages on this issue here on MBWorld.

Last edited by amusa; 06-28-2022 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2022 | 04:21 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by IluvSadie
Who would I need to contact for this if my vehicle was purchased at a Used Car dealer?
Contact your local Mercedes dealer, they don't care where you bought the car, they charge by the hour/parts.
Old 06-29-2022 | 07:48 AM

W166, GLE 350d
Excellent! I'd given and was heading for the route of buying an old cheap iPhone just to run Waze and Tidal. I'd tried an OBD II plug-in and asked the local dealer (Sandown). The dealer updated the system, but said that it would only support CarPlay. I might have to press them a bit. The build dat on mine is mid-June 2016.

Originally Posted by mjalil93
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HKT5H5N...roduct_details
Thanks!
I would be careful. I tried one and it did not give me AndroidAuto, but it did remove CarPlay The dealer put CarPlay back on and the vendor of the OBD II plugin refunded my money, so nothing lost, just experience gained
Old 10-25-2022 | 10:53 PM

gle 2016
Dealership not helpful

Originally Posted by Mark.T
Excellent! I'd given and was heading for the route of buying an old cheap iPhone just to run Waze and Tidal. I'd tried an OBD II plug-in and asked the local dealer (Sandown). The dealer updated the system, but said that it would only support CarPlay. I might have to press them a bit. The build dat on mine is mid-June 2016.

I would be careful. I tried one and it did not give me AndroidAuto, but it did remove CarPlay The dealer put CarPlay back on and the vendor of the OBD II plugin refunded my money, so nothing lost, just experience gained

hi I ran in to the same issue but when I called the dealer ship they said they never heard of that and don’t know how to fix it. Can you give details on what dealership did exactly.
Old 11-03-2022 | 09:25 AM

W166, GLE 350d
As far as I know, they just re-flashed the system. I was having the sat-nav updated at the same time.
Old 12-12-2022 | 08:44 PM

2016 GLE 63 S
XSF Case number?

Any chance you have a XSF case number? My dealer requested it when I asked about activating AA in my 16 GLE. Thanks
Old 12-13-2022 | 08:08 AM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by treymac242
Any chance you have a XSF case number? My dealer requested it when I asked about activating AA in my 16 GLE. Thanks
Unfortunately, no XSF number is listed on my paperwork. I wonder if it's documented somewhere in their computer system. I left a message with my service advisor.

Last edited by gearFX; 12-13-2022 at 08:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gearFX:
Mark.T (12-13-2022), treymac242 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022 | 10:38 AM

2016 GLE 63 S
Unfortunately, no XSF number is listed on my paperwork. I wonder if it's documented somewhere in their computer system. I left a message with my service advisor.
Thanks man - I sent a email to my SA requesting all the recommendations in this post. I'll see what they come up with. Thanks for checking - if it saves them time, they're more likely to do it.
Old 06-01-2023 | 12:41 PM

GLE 350D
Currently getting an update

Hey everyone,

I've been following this for some time now. I've finally been able to get my local MB dealership to update my system.
(Smartphone Integration package (Code 14U) Available as retrofit for vehicles with NTG5*1 COMAND Online up until 30.11.2015)
My car (2016 GLE 350D) was manufactured in November 2015.

The official MB News document is attached. Please let me know if you can them clearly as I couldn't upload the pdf. MB refer to models made up to 30.11.2015 so I don't know if any cars manufactured after this date and up to the models that did get it in March 2016 work as well.

My car sat overnight at the service department as they needed to understand how to upgrade. I paid $170 CAD ($125 USD) for the smartphone integration package 14U consisting of a Lightening USB cord and a USB micro cord, a multimedia package (not sure what this is) and one hour of service for the same cost. My Pixel requires a USB C which is not part of the package, but I have a high-end USB C cord which is necessary, so remember no cheap cord will work. I picked up my car yesterday and the good news is that the Apple Car Play works perfectly, but AA does not. From what we understand, MB has a few update files for the system, and if the first one doesn't work, they go to the next and so on. The car will need to spend more time there, so I've arranged for it to stay for 5 days in three weeks from now to allow the opportunity for the service manager to try each update. I am extremely fortunate they will do this for me and can't say enough about their level of service standard. My car is a guinea pig at this point so it's also helping the service team with other cars that may come around. Whether or not it will eventually work, I don't know but I'll post updates as they come. Please ask any questions you may have. Cheers.

Old 10-30-2023 | 01:16 PM

GLE, SLC
Just wanted to provide another data point for anyone else interested.

Was successfully able to get my dealer to enable AA on my vehicle a post 01/2016 production date with option 531 COMAND NTG5.5, 14U, 16U.

Since there is no LI or TSB associated with this work mentioning the A2468203800 document will at least help the tech look into the MBUSA database for clues.

Ultimately a firmware update is needed and then an XSF ticket submitted to finalize activation. Unfortunately as previous posters mentioned none of this is traceable on the paperwork, so you really need some persistence, a dealer willing to work with you, and a competent and diligent tech. I had to try 3 dealers before finally getting this done.

PS: I am not a COMAND/XENTRY expert but I'd stay away from those OBD activation dongles. There must be some passkey function through submitting the XSF ticket that at best these dongles bypass. This is not a permanent solution though - if for example you update maps or some other work is needed on COMAND.

Last edited by bluegene; 10-30-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2024 | 05:19 PM

2016 GLE 400
I took my 2016 GLE 400 with a very early production (8/2015) to have smart phone integration added. Dealer had trouble coding, filed the XSF ticket and then told me it can't be done for my car since I have NTG 5*1, which I'm not sure is the full story since the documents say the retrofit is for 5*1.

The following week, I installed the Road Top aftermarket AA/carplay unit myself. Turns out I have the Mitsubishi head unit, as amusa mentioned it's probably the reason for incompatibility. Taking the head unit out was pretty simple, and since the cars are older now if anyone is contemplating going to the dealer for retrofit, might be a good idea to just remove the head unit first to see if you have a Mitsubishi or Panasonic to save some time and frustration

Last edited by Bluemax350; 08-09-2024 at 05:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluemax350:
amusa (08-23-2024), gearFX (08-10-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has ANYBODY with a 2016 GLE successfully enabled or activated Android Auto?