Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 12:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08 E350 AMG; 18 GLE 350
Finally ... Mudflaps/Mudguards/Splash Guards for my GLE 350

Aloha,

*** Photos below.

I found it interesting that finding non-MB mudflaps that fit my standard GLE 350 (not AMG, sports, or Coupe) has been difficult.

There are lots of vendors at various online sites that sell the flaps. Most carry flaps that fit the front with and without the runningboards. I happen to have the runningboards and was able to get the front flaps without a problem. Getting the rear flaps is a very different story.

What I've learned is that these online vendors only carry rear flaps for AMG, sport, or coupe models which have a very different shape than that of the standard GLE.

After going through the process of buying, and then returning, etc., I just bit the bullet and ordered them from my dealer. Cost is about $150.

The rear flaps from MB fit perfectly. They have the correct contour that is the right shape for the standard GLE. Installation is straightforward. You remove 4 existing plastic fasteners from the wheel well. Three inside the wheel well and one underneath. It helps to have an interior trim pry tool to help remove the fasteners without damaging them. Mount the flap, reinstall the fasteners and that's pretty much it. It came with an additional fastener per flap to help secure the inner part of the flap in the wheel well. You'd have to punch a hole for this in the plastic wheel well. Not hard at all and you don't have to remove the tire to get it done.

The front flaps I got are marked for the ML350 but they fit my GLE just fine. Not a perfect fit like an MB product but it's pretty good. You remove 3 fasteners, mount the flap, reinstall the fasteners, and you are done.

I actually am surprised how wide and long the rear flaps are. I was expecting them to be short like others I've seen.

Flaps may not be useful for some vehicles but I think they are for the GLE especially since it has big wide tires and the rear fenders don’t quite cover the width of the tires preventing spray from water or dirt to the car and cars following… more like a courtesy to fellow drivers.

Very happy with the flaps.

Driver side, Front flaps, non MB

Passenger side, Front flaps, non MB

Driver side, rear flap, genuine MB

Passenger side, rear flap, genuine MB

Rear flaps, genuine MB

Rear flaps, genuine MB part number

Rear flaps, genuine MB

Rear flaps, genuine MB

Rear wheel well, 3 fasteners inside and 1 underneath

Front flaps, non MB

Front flaps, non MB

Front flaps, non MB

Front wheel well, 3 fasteners

Interior Trim Pry Tool

Last edited by eaglehawaii; 08-08-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184350748118
I got it from eBay for 40 dollars. Good fit no issue

Old 08-10-2021, 06:01 AM

08 E350 AMG; 18 GLE 350
Originally Posted by sub786sub
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184350748118
I got it from eBay for 40 dollars. Good fit no issue
I'm glad you found one that works for your car.

I've gotten non-MB flaps like that but the contour just doesn't fit the standard GLE.

In the photo below, see how the flap flares out and away from the fender. Not even close.

Doesn't fit at all. Not even close

And here's added insult to injury .... actually hilarious.... check out the photo below.

LOL ... non-MG product

Old 08-10-2021, 07:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
Oh Ok sorry, I did not notice yours do not have the running board. Mine does. But sometimes if you ask the seller a question they can get it for you. As you have already purchased from MB but for others looking for the non-MB mud flaps check with the seller if they can get them.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:59 PM

08 E350 AMG; 18 GLE 350
Aloha sub786sub,

I do have the runningboards but the issue has not been the front flaps. It has been the rear flaps.

The non-MB flaps I've received from vendors don't fit.

Before ordering the flaps from vendors who describe their product as fitting a standard GLE, I would ask them first to confirm that the rear flaps will fit my car.

Those emails included photos of the rear fenders of my GLE.

Even after all that, I still got the flaps that don't fit.

Very frustrating which led me to simply order the rear flaps from my dealer.
The following users liked this post:
sub786sub (08-12-2021)