Sponsored By:

Help with rear hatch trim removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLE 350 4Matic
Help with rear hatch trim removal

I have a 2018 GLE 350. I will be installing a Vantrue front and rear dash cam. Concealing the front wires seems rather straight forward. It also seems relatively easy to tuck the rear wire in along the top of the side trim where it meets the ceiling. The challenging part will be running the wire to the top of the rear hatch through the wiring boot. There is a lot of trim around the wiring boot and at the top of the glass. I want to run my camera wire through the car side of the wiring boot to the hatch, then thread it to come out of the trim pieces at the top of the windshield. The trim has a seam in the middle (i.e. two overlapping pieces there). I am hoping I can gently pry one side up enough, but before that can happen, there is another piece of trim that covers both ends of the wiring boot. It looks like that is attached with clips (lots of them), but not sure and I don't want to damage it. I have plastic trim pullers which I would use. Any tips, tricks, photos, videos, etc. would be helpful. Looked everywhere and the closest I've seen is a complete removal of all the trim on a GLK. Prefer not to do all that if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
You can install it inside the rare glass. That's what I did. It works fine. Sorry pictures are not good quality because of not enough light in my garage. If you are installing the way it looks in the picture then make sure to keep some wire loose for the rare gate to open ( first pic ). But it will give you an idea

Last edited by sub786sub; 11-29-2021 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (11-30-2021)