Sponsored By:

GLE 350 tire/wheel question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLE 350
GLE 350 tire/wheel question

Apologies up front as I most likely do not have every bit of information necessary. My partner's 2017 GLE 350 has aftermarket 22" wheels with Toyo Proxes 285/35/22 rubber, no clue on wheel width or offsets. The front tires are wearing on the inside at an extremely fast rate and I'm curious if this is something that an alignment can fix given the wheel/tire combo. It seems this combo isn't out of the range of what is an appropriate plus sizing which leads me to believe an alignment will fix this issue, however, wanted to inquire here prior to possibly wasting time at an alignment shop.

Thank you for the help!
Old 02-02-2022, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
That usually is sign of bad toe.
Doing MB alignment is not a simple task and usually dealer is the best choice for doing so.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
Aftermarket bigger sizes are always a problem, I still need to see a single vehicle without any issue. Even I used to have bigger wheels for my E class. Wheel alignment was the biggest issue and MB denied fixing it because of the larger wheel size. So relied on 3rd party but they do not have the recommended expertise and equipment so whatever they do it fixes for a while and after a few under miles back to misalignment. It was a nightmare. Every 10 k miles I used to change the tire. I am so happy to have the standard wheel for my GLE 350, lesson learned the hard way. Also, the large wheels broke my wheel ball joint and affected the whole suspension assembly including the front thrust arms. Long story short keep away from the large wheel. Whatever your MB comes with keep it as those are designed after a lot of research and of course based on safety .
Old 02-02-2022, 09:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,935 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
22" wheels were not offered in 2017 on this vehicle. I am not aware that 22" wheels were ever offered by MB on GLE W166.

MB vehicles eat tires due to MB's decisions on suspension geometry, alignment settings and tire size/design/rubber compound/pressure specification.

Large non-specified aftermarket tires with MB's tire-eating suspension settings = fast tire wear

Old 02-06-2022, 09:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by BTCarlos
The front tires are wearing on the inside at an extremely fast rate and I'm curious if this is something that an alignment can fix given the wheel/tire combo. It seems this combo isn't out of the range of what is an appropriate plus sizing which leads me to believe an alignment will fix this issue, however, wanted to inquire here prior to possibly wasting time at an alignment shop.
Yes you're correct "waste of time". Incredulous as it may seem the often quoted "Full Adjustment" is only adjusting the Front Toe - directional adjustment.

There is no front Camber which is essential to adjust tire contact angles - spread load more evenly (or Caster adjustment to compensate for Camber change, resolve steering pull, improve directional control).

It is new car industry's best kept secret. All to do with cost cutting and ever increasing speed of auto assembly lines.

Adjustability is essential for day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads, altered height through load carrying or lowering. Fitting wide profile tires or wheel sizes. Or just having the capability of "ongoing" adjustment for curb knock damage.

See spoiler re W166 Front & Rear Bolt - On kits available.

Spoiler