GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019

2018 GLE 350 2WD Substitute Tire Sizes 20"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML55 AMG
2018 GLE 350 2WD Substitute Tire Sizes 20"

So I did search, and it looks like a number of folks are running 275/45-20 instead of 265/45-20. Mostly the forum answers go ... "no problem." One went "it doesn't rub too bad."

All right. So this is an increase of total width of a bit more than 3/8". This is an increase in diameter of something less than 3/8". Each side of the tire sticks out about the width of a #10 machine screw more. The ride height is increased by a number smaller than 3/16".

For cryin' out loud -- some tires differ in the depth of their sidewall cosmetic decorative features that much.

And yet.... America's Tire/Discount Tire says they have a red flag come up on their computer that the tires will result in absolutely dire interference issues.

If I run my hand around the front tire, I can easily fit my fingers between the tire and the strut assembly all the way down to the rim. There's clearly plenty of clearance under the fenderlip. I supposed .... just maybe .. under full suspension excursion with the front suspension pushed all the way up into the well that that extra 3/16 in every direction will mean a slight rub... somewhere. In the back there's gobs of space everywhere. Using a different brand of the same size tire, with more aggressive tread blocks and sidewall transitions, could result in just as much increase in overall size. Is the stability program that sensitive, that the extra diameter will prevent the solutions from converging? Did the German lawyers and engineers just draw a line that says "NEIN! Du sollst nicht weiter gehen!" because that's the way they think? Is the ever-so-slightly improved traction going to dramatically increase the risk of rollover?

I don't believe it. If the vehicle were that close to being a deathtrap, the lawyers wouldn't allow them to sell it at all.

For a popular and highly rated Pirelli all season line, the 275/45 is nearly $50 per tire cheaper than the 265/45. Cheaper!

I'm ordering a set.