GLE450 Brake Squeal and Parking sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
Post GLE450 Brake Squeal and Parking sensor

Hello,
First time MB SUV owner and poster. We purchased our car CPO 2021 GLE450 (~26k miles) last November and have been hearing this loud brake squeal every time we come to a normal slow traffic stop. Once we do, the car's parking sensors start going off if there are any other cars at the intersection or parking garage. Needless to say, this is a bit annoying.
We have taken the car back to the dealer a couple times. In November, they told us that this was normal and nothing can be done about this. The CPO papers also stated that the brakes and pads were completely green or OK.
Fast forward to May and we have not driven the car much (~27k) but due to a recall we sent the car back to the dealership. When they had it, I asked them about the same two issues. This time, the service advisor said that the rear brake pad and rotor needs to be changed because there is excessive rust. When I pushed them on this, they said that this is part of the MB service manual and will solve the issue. Unfortunately this isnt covered by warranty or maintenance packages and will be out of pocket. The car is garage kept and we do not get much rain (sunny california)
Here are my questions:
- Is it normal for this car to go from OK brakes and rotors to excessively rust within such a short period and mileage?
- The issues existed at purchase, the squeals have remained consistent as well as the parking sensor sensitivity. How is the brake rotor an issue now if it was not before? Should this be covered under warranty?
- The dealer is also refusing to share the old service records. Is this allowed? I have always been able to request and receive service records for all my cars at other manufacturers and dealers.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
GLE 350

Last edited by AMMBGLE; 05-15-2024 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:53 AM

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
2016 GLE 300d 4-Matic
Brake squeal can be caused by many different reasons, including glazed pads or interaction between the pads and the caliper. I would suggest looking for yourself to see whether the rotor is rusty. It's not hard to do.

I'm attaching the inspection procedures for the W166. Your's is actually the newer 167 (and I see that you've also posted in that forum and are getting responses) but they should be similar.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf