GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Downshift kicks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE 43 Coupe
Downshift kicks

Hi, anyone encountered hard downshifting with GLE 43 Coupe?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
Mine works fine.Are you saying it's hard for you to use the paddle,or that the act of downshifting is noisy & not smooth.Are you in Sports+ setting where the rpm's are on the high side at time of shift?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:44 PM

GLE 43 Coupe
Well, I have a general issue with the car when slowing down to a complete stop in low rpms where I get hard downshift from 4th to 3rd and sometimes from 3rd to 2nd gear. This happens mostly in comfort mode. In general the gearbox is very confused and weird. I sent the car back couple of times to the dealer. They said they ran new software update for the gearbox but I see absolutely no difference. Could it be the solenoids in the gearbox? or a normal fluid change should solve it? Thanks

Last edited by alizandi; 06-01-2017 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron Paddock (08-08-2019)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
To those having this issue, how many miles do you have on the car?

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 01-30-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Ron Paddock (08-08-2019)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:28 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Part of the "Adaptive Learning" feature of the trans

See my recent post here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...new-gle43.html
Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE450 AMG
Originally Posted by alizandi
Well, I have a general issue with the car when slowing down to a complete stop in low rpms where I get hard downshift from 4th to 3rd and sometimes from 3rd to 2nd gear. This happens mostly in comfort mode. In general the gearbox is very confused and weird. I sent the car back couple of times to the dealer. They said they ran new software update for the gearbox but I see absolutely no difference. Could it be the solenoids in the gearbox? or a normal fluid change should solve it? Thanks
I have the exact same issue you have, check out my thread about it (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...nt-recall.html) they took my car for a month and flew an engineer to look at it, they called me saying a fix has been issued for my car so ill be taking it in tomorrow, will update back on thursday when i get my car back.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:31 AM

GLE 43 Coupe
Originally Posted by YazAMG
I have the exact same issue you have, check out my thread about it (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...nt-recall.html) they took my car for a month and flew an engineer to look at it, they called me saying a fix has been issued for my car so ill be taking it in tomorrow, will update back on thursday when i get my car back.
Thanks YAZAMG, I already sold the car for the same reason. Didn’t have a good experience with mercedes at all. They definately have major issues with their gearbox or the software managing the gearbox. Driving a bimmer now for the past 6 months and I can say with confidence BMW has the best gear box and quietest interior than any other German manufacturer.
Hope your car is fixed now as I know how frustrating it is.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:02 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I had originally thought this problem was gone, but noticed it was still present. I figured I'd wait until the next time I was in for service to inquire about it. Took the car in for a state inspection today. Sure enough, there's a software update to address the problem. I believe this might be a newer update than the one alizandi had, since his was back in 6/17. Anyway, if anyone's still having this issue and is interested in a fix, here are the details.

**************************************UPDATE****** ****************************

Today (10-5-18) I had a chance to fully test the new software update during a 20 mile drive. The GLE now shifts smooth as butter!

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 10-05-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE43 SUV
Made an appt. Your LI number helped because it wasn't coming up under my car being a 2018.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:23 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Erik Lundh
Made an appt. Your LI number helped because it wasn't coming up under my car being a 2018.
I'm not sure exactly when this software update was released. My Coupe is a 2017. I ordered it in Nov of 2016 and took delivery in Feb of 2017. Are you experiencing this problem? If not, your car may have already come with the latest update from the factory. That might be why the LI number wasn't coming up under your 2018. I believe the update was specifically designed to address this problem only, as I haven't noticed any other changes.

Dealers never tell you about these types of things UNLESS YOU ASK. They should routinely apply the latest software updates to ALL affected vehicles. But they won't, because it's a time-consuming process and they don't want to take up valuable service time that doesn't yield profits. It's the same for updates to the Nav map database. They won't dare tell you you're entitled to them for the first three years free. You have to ask.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE43 SUV
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
I'm not sure exactly when this software update was released. My Coupe is a 2017. I ordered it in Nov of 2016 and took delivery in Feb of 2017. Are you experiencing this problem? If not, your car may have already come with the latest update from the factory. That might be why the LI number wasn't coming up under your 2018. I believe the update was specifically designed to address this problem only, as I haven't noticed any other changes.

Dealers never tell you about these types of things UNLESS YOU ASK. They should routinely apply the latest software updates to ALL affected vehicles. But they won't, because it's a time-consuming process and they don't want to take up valuable service time that doesn't yield profits. It's the same for updates to the Nav map database. They won't dare tell you you're entitled to them for the first three years free. You have to ask.
So the LI didn't end up applying to my vehicle because I have the SUV version and that apparently is for the Coupe only. BUT.... they found a new software update for my vehicle and it has made a huge difference in downshifting smoothness. It also has removed the selected gear from showing in the center screen unless you are in manual mode so I guess that is one way to tell if you have this update or not. The car is soo much nicer now! Unfortunately they do not list the LI on my receipt of the what they did so I don't have that to share.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:47 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Erik Lundh
So the LI didn't end up applying to my vehicle because I have the SUV version and that apparently is for the Coupe only. BUT.... they found a new software update for my vehicle and it has made a huge difference in downshifting smoothness. It also has removed the selected gear from showing in the center screen unless you are in manual mode so I guess that is one way to tell if you have this update or not. The car is soo much nicer now! Unfortunately they do not list the LI on my receipt of the what they did so I don't have that to share.
Great! That's good to hear. I kind of like the current gear showing in the Multi-function Display. But if you have to lose that feature to enjoy a smoother shifting vehicle, then I'm sure it's worth it.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLE 450 4MATIC
2020 GLE450 with downshift kicks and whining

Hello everyone;
I just trade a 2016 GLE350 for a 2020 GLE450 with a 9G-TRONIC transmission. I notice that this new GLE makes whining noises and downshift hard during every time during automatic "D" range mode.
Does somebody know if this is normal since my older GLE with a 7 speed automatic did not have that issue.
Thanks
Ron Paddock (08-08-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:15 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by CTRIO
Hello everyone;
I just trade a 2016 GLE350 for a 2020 GLE450 with a 9G-TRONIC transmission. I notice that this new GLE makes whining noises and downshift hard during every time during automatic "D" range mode. Does somebody know if this is normal since my older GLE with a 7 speed automatic did not have that issue.
Thanks
This is NOT normal for the 9G-TRONIC transmission. I guess you read my previous post about the software update they applied to my vehicle. Being that yours is a 2020, I'm assuming it should already have the latest software version. I didn't have any whining noises, but I did have a hard downshift (3rd to 2nd). Our engines are a little different. Yours has the EQ boost. However, I believe the trans is the same.

I think a visit to your service dept is in order.
CTRIO (04-29-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM

2020 GLE 450
Hi, anyone encountered hard downshifting with GLE 43 Coupe?
My new 2020 has the exact issue
Took back to dealer and the update hasn't changed anything
What next??
Old 08-08-2019, 04:13 PM

2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
To those having this issue, how many miles do you have on the car?
2 months old
Old 04-10-2020, 09:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
I had the same issue in my E350 before I got my Coupe. They fixed it with a TCU Software update.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:11 AM

Gle450
Hi is this software update working for everyone my Merc dealer said there was no software update available
Old 06-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Mina Moussa
Hi is this software update working for everyone my Merc dealer said there was no software update available
Is it a Franchised dealer MBUSA recognizes? If not, I'd take it to a different dealer to get a second opinion. There ALWAYS seems to be updates whenever I've asked on all my Merc's, unless your vehicle is brand spanking new or just got out of service.

If it's the latter, then there might be something more going on. That's where I would suggest a second opinion again and a call into MBUSA about your warranty.

Last edited by Skyline45; 06-23-2020 at 06:21 PM.