GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

transmission issue after the recent recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE450 AMG
Unhappy transmission issue after the recent recall

Hey guys, not sure if I have a lemon or not but after the recent recall, my transmission has been very harsh while going down especially at 2nd gear, so going from 3rd to 2nd I would usually hear some sort of knock and the car would jerk forward like there seem to be a disconnect on 2nd gear, its hard to explain. It happens on comfort in a mild way but sport its harsh and sport+ is super harsh. Anybody else having this issue? I took my car to the dealership twice already they revamped the software and checked for codes, tomorrow im taking it for the 3rd time. Im just not sure if im dealing with a lemon or is it caused by the recent software update ?

Has your car change the way it drives/ feels after the recent recall?

Thanks for your input
Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Are you referring to this recall?

NHTSA Recall Number 17V506

If so, my car's transmission acted like it was possessed the first time I used Sport+ right after the software update for this recall. Two times during the same drive it acted like a bucking bronco. It never happened again. I attributed it to the trans "learning" the new software curve. I had the recall done on 9-22-17. It's been fine ever since. It never did anything unusual in "Comfort" mode. This sounds different than what you're experiencing.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE Coupe 43 amg
Originally Posted by YazAMG
Hey guys, not sure if I have a lemon or not but after the recent recall, my transmission has been very harsh while going down especially at 2nd gear, so going from 3rd to 2nd I would usually hear some sort of knock and the car would jerk forward like there seem to be a disconnect on 2nd gear, its hard to explain. It happens on comfort in a mild way but sport its harsh and sport+ is super harsh. Anybody else having this issue? I took my car to the dealership twice already they revamped the software and checked for codes, tomorrow im taking it for the 3rd time. Im just not sure if im dealing with a lemon or is it caused by the recent software update ?

Has your car change the way it drives/ feels after the recent recall?

Thanks for your input
I have the exact issue with my GLE. Except I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago and i haven't heard of any recall for the 2018 models.

Is this how everyone's transmission is? Very strange to be this rough for a Merc! Have you taken it back In? I hope it 'fixes' itself as someone else mentioned, but I'm almost around 3000kms now and still the same issues.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:36 PM

GLE450 AMG
Originally Posted by Ramos
I have the exact issue with my GLE. Except I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago and i haven't heard of any recall for the 2018 models.

Is this how everyone's transmission is? Very strange to be this rough for a Merc! Have you taken it back In? I hope it 'fixes' itself as someone else mentioned, but I'm almost around 3000kms now and still the same issues.
Yeah I took my car in the shop and its been there for a week now and they are in contact with MBUSA and Germany trying to figure everything out.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 PM

GLE450 AMG
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
Are you referring to this recall?

NHTSA Recall Number 17V506

If so, my car's transmission acted like it was possessed the first time I used Sport+ right after the software update for this recall. Two times during the same drive it acted like a bucking bronco. It never happened again. I attributed it to the trans "learning" the new software curve. I had the recall done on 9-22-17. It's been fine ever since. It never did anything unusual in "Comfort" mode. This sounds different than what you're experiencing.
I felt that too but for some reason mine remained the same and only got worse. I took my car in the shop and its been there for a week now and they are in contact with MBUSA and Germany trying to figure everything out.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:06 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I felt that too but for some reason mine remained the same and only got worse. I took my car in the shop and its been there for a week now and they are in contact with MBUSA and Germany trying to figure everything out.
Yaz,

Any progress on this?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 PM

GLE450 AMG
Yaz,

Any progress on this?
yeah so my dealership had to fly out an engineer to see the car and he suggested a new transmission valve body right before thanksgiving, they installed it and I got a call yesterday saying my car is ready for pick up however the issue is still there and they have concluded that it’s a software issue which I feel like it’s an excuse ( they said an update should be out in January) and I will be trying to file a lemon law on them!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:27 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
yeah so my dealership had to fly out an engineer to see the car and he suggested a new transmission valve body right before thanksgiving, they installed it and I got a call yesterday saying my car is ready for pick up however the issue is still there and they have concluded that it’s a software issue which I feel like it’s an excuse ( they said an update should be out in January) and I will be trying to file a lemon law on them!
So, is this software update that's coming out in January going to be part of a "recall" to be installed per capita? I'm wondering if this will address the issue below too.

I looked into the Lemon Law way back in 1989. That was also for a transmission problem. If my memory is correct, I'm not sure you can file a claim if they're "actively" trying to fix the problem. You may have to wait until after this new software release and see if that fixes it first.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...new-gle43.html
Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 AM

GLE450 AMG
So, is this software update that's coming out in January going to be part of a "recall" to be installed per capita? I'm wondering if this will address the issue below too.

I looked into the Lemon Law way back in 1989. That was also for a transmission problem. If my memory is correct, I'm not sure you can file a claim if they're "actively" trying to fix the problem. You may have to wait until after this new software release and see if that fixes it first.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...new-gle43.html
The dealership told me that Germany is aware of the issue ( and other cars having the same issue) and are planning to do a update in January I'm assuming its for everybody because they said ill get a letter in the mail similar to the recent recall but then again only a few cars have been effected like my car. I looked at the thread you mentioned, it looks like he has the same issue. Thanks for the heads up about lemon law, I still believe my car is a lemon since not all cars are effected and also this January is the deadline for me to file lemon law, I hate to say it but that might be the reason the service told me it might be out in January to play the time on my expense..
Old 11-30-2017, 10:11 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
The dealership told me that Germany is aware of the issue ( and other cars having the same issue) and are planning to do a update in January I'm assuming its for everybody because they said ill get a letter in the mail similar to the recent recall but then again only a few cars have been effected like my car. I looked at the thread you mentioned, it looks like he has the same issue. Thanks for the heads up about lemon law, I still believe my car is a lemon since not all cars are effected and also this January is the deadline for me to file lemon law, I hate to say it but that might be the reason the service told me it might be out in January to play the time on my expense..
Yes, I believe your car is more severely affected by this issue, to the extent that there maybe something different going on. The software problem may have caused a mechanical problem as well. Check the Lemon Law statute of limitations in your state. If it's close to that point, I would definitely proceed in that direction. My problem is minor (yet still annoying) compared to what you're experiencing. Nonetheless, I'll await this software update and see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
YazAMG (11-30-2017)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE43 SUV
Any updates on this?
Some days my transmission acts fine but then there will be times when the whole car shakes when it downshifts when slowing down. I am planning on making an appt for next weekend to bring it in.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:55 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I haven't heard anything. Emailed my Service Manager about this specific problem twice. Never got a response. Plan on taking it in near the end of the month for an oil change. I'll ask then.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:09 PM

GLE43 SUV
I haven't heard anything. Emailed my Service Manager about this specific problem twice. Never got a response. Plan on taking it in near the end of the month for an oil change. I'll ask then.
I’ll update what they say for mine on Saturday.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:51 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Erik Lundh

I’ll update what they say for mine on Saturday.
Thanks! Appreciate that.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 AM

GLE43 SUV
Update on mine. Took it in on Saturday, tech confirmed issue and they need to complete a full range of diagnostic tests on the transmission and send the results to corporate and go from there. I have this scheduled for Wednesday.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 AM

GLE450 AMG
Any updates on this?
Some days my transmission acts fine but then there will be times when the whole car shakes when it downshifts when slowing down. I am planning on making an appt for next weekend to bring it in.

Exactly what I was experiencing, I'm in talks with the dealership for a trade in
Old 01-26-2018, 07:12 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Mercedes Class Action Lawsuit Over Transmission

Just Google "Mercedes transmission problems" and you'll find a host of problems. There's even a class action suit over the 722.9 7G-Tronic automatic transmission. This looks to be an earlier version of the same trans in the GLE63. The GLE43 uses the 9G-Tronic transmission, but who's to say it doesn't have similar issues. Maybe MB is still trying to iron out their trans problems. From what I've read, the newer trans problems are usually software related, which is lot easier to fix. While researching, I came across instructions on how to reset the adaptive learning feature. This is worth trying for anyone experiencing this problem.

Procedure Reset Transmission Adaptive Learning DIY
  1. Turn the key to position 2. You should see all the dash lights come on. ...
  2. Press the gas pedal all the way. ...
  3. Wait. ...
  4. Turn key to OFF, position 0. ...
  5. Release the gas pedal.
  6. Wait 2 minutes. ...
  7. Start the car and drive.

http://gotaclassaction.com/mercedes-...-transmission/

http://www.toptransmissions.com/tran...-problems.html
Old 01-26-2018, 02:15 PM

GLE43 SUV
So Mercedes had my car for 5 days. They could no reproduce the issue after the initial person who test drove the car said they were getting the rough shifting. Very disappointing since they put about 100 miles on the car. They said they did some adjustment to smooth out the shifting but I suspect this is just something they are sayin to get me to come take it back. I was suppose to drive another GLE43 to compare but of course that car was sold before I got there to drive it. Very frustrating all around. I asked them about the January software update that was mentioned. They checked on it and it was confirmed as something in the works but it doesn't sound like it had any release date yet so I don't think it is coming soon.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:22 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I was getting a slight bump while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear in "Comfort" mode only. Now, that seems to have disappeared. I tried to reproduce it, but couldn't. I'm thinking maybe the adaptive learning phase has completed. I only have about 3,200 miles on her. Due to medical issues, I haven't been able to drive much during the past year.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:21 AM

GLE450 AMG
So Mercedes had my car for 5 days. They could no reproduce the issue after the initial person who test drove the car said they were getting the rough shifting. Very disappointing since they put about 100 miles on the car. They said they did some adjustment to smooth out the shifting but I suspect this is just something they are sayin to get me to come take it back. I was suppose to drive another GLE43 to compare but of course that car was sold before I got there to drive it. Very frustrating all around. I asked them about the January software update that was mentioned. They checked on it and it was confirmed as something in the works but it doesn't sound like it had any release date yet so I don't think it is coming soon.
My dealership called me today and said the update is ready for my transmission.. gonna take it in on Wednesday hopefully that'll fix it!
Old 01-30-2018, 05:20 PM

GLE43 SUV
Thanks for the heads up. I will call mine and see if they can update mine as well.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:32 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
My dealership called me today and said the update is ready for my transmission.. gonna take it in on Wednesday hopefully that'll fix it!
Is this something they're installing across the board, or only if your transmission is having this specific issue?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 PM

GLE450 AMG
Is this something they're installing across the board, or only if your transmission is having this specific issue?
From what I was told that this update is for my car only, the engineer that saw my car for a month told Mercedes and they have been working on it for almost 2 months now. I'm not sure whether they will issue a wide recall or not, I'm going tomorrow so ill ask and let you know. Honestly, I hope this update won't affect the performance of my car I hope its just a patch, we'll see though, ill update the Forum on Thursday when I get my car back.

Last edited by YazAMG; 01-30-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: missed a point
Old 01-31-2018, 05:59 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
From what I was told that this update is for my car only, the engineer that saw my car for a month told Mercedes and they have been working on it for almost 2 months now. I'm not sure whether they will issue a wide recall or not, I'm going tomorrow so ill ask and let you know. Honestly, I hope this update won't affect the performance of my car I hope its just a patch, we'll see though, ill update the Forum on Thursday when I get my car back.
I only hope there was no mechanical damage done. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:15 PM

GLE43 SUV
any updates Yaz?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: transmission issue after the recent recall