GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2018 AMG GLE 43 Coupe Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLE43
2018 AMG GLE 43 Coupe Oil Leak

Anyone else have any issues with oil leaks? Just notice a few drips of fresh oil on the garage floor. Only 2400 miles on car. Looking underneath the car it appears the oil leak originates toward the very front of the engine and flows aft on the plastic cover. Also opening the hood and looking down around the front of the engine it appears clean, however there is a little oil on the front of the plastic cover under the engine. Thanks for any feedback...

2018 GLE 43 Oil leak at 2400 miles
Calling MB service in the morning.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
No oil leaks here, and I'm always checking. Had an oil leak on my last car, so I'm a bit paranoid. Did you recently have an oil change? Could be they neglected to fully tighten the oil plug. I've had that happen before.
The following users liked this post:
fjk737 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM

AMG GLE43
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
No oil leaks here, and I'm always checking. Had an oil leak on my last car, so I'm a bit paranoid. Did you recently have an oil change? Could be they neglected to fully tighten the oil plug. I've had that happen before.
Thanks GLE43_Sube, no recent oil change (only 2400 miles on it). Took it in this morning, service department opened 800-1200, and they were happy to look at it, however without any of the Master Technicians working today all they were able to do, was pull off the plastic engine covering below the engine and clean everything off and then drive the car around and run it on the lift as well. Unfortunately, it continues to leak but they were not able to isolate the source of the leak. So I have a 2018 GLE 350 loaner and my AMG GLE 43 sits in the service bay awaiting for the Certified AMG engine technician on Monday. So over all, not quite the loose fitting, bolt, engine oil cooler hose I was opening for, but the the car is sitting where it needs to be.....more to follow.

On the positive note the dealership was tremendous in the the way they handled the issue, pretty much night and day compared to how my local Porsche dealership has handled some issues on the 2017 Macan GTS that I traded in for this car, or even our 718S Boxster.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Please keep us posted.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM

AMG GLE43
Leak located

The oil leak was on the forward left side the main oil pan (or upper oil pan that bolts to the engine block). I wasn't aware there was a lower oil pan that bolts to the lower rear of the main/upper pan. The Service Manager felt this was a very rare occurrence where the bead of sealant applied by a robot either was too thin, miss aligned, moved during the oil pans installation, or just failed...either way, oil was slowly leaking out of the edge of the pan when the engine was running.

The removal and replacement of this pan is quite extensive as it turns out. It required the removal of the front differential and axles, the engine to be raised slightly with a special overhead apparatus which they had, but didn't have the correct length of the couplings that go of the front strut mounting bolts (raise /support rear of engine), which they had to order from Germany, and will hopefully have on Monday or Tuesday.

Hopefully everything goes back together correctly and the car drives as well as it did in the first 2400 miles I owned it. On the positive side, I'm getting a free oil change, since they are going to replace the filter as well, but it is hard to see your car disassembled to this extent to simply R&R a oil pan!!! Modern engineering?

I've include a picture of the two oil pans sitting on a cart next to the front wheel well.

Last edited by fjk737; 01-13-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-13-2019, 09:17 PM

AMG GLE43

Sorry, for some reason the photo didn't attach to my prior post
Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by fjk737

Hopefully everything goes back together correctly and the car drives as well as it did in the first 2400 miles I owned it. On the positive side, I'm getting a free oil change, since they are going to replace the filter as well, but it is hard to see your car disassembled to this extent to simply R&R a oil pan!!! Modern engineering?

..l.
We owned a VW Touareg before this. There was a prior version of this vehicle that had a V-10 diesel in it. They were notorious for taking out turbos, and there were two of them, one on each side of the engine. It required removal of the ENTIRE front end, INCLUDING the transfer case, and all the front drive line. It was NOT something for the faint of heart to see, or even attempt at home.

At the end of the day, there is just too much "stuff" crammed in newer cars these days...
fjk737 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Wow! Pretty scary stuff. I cringe when any type of major repair is performed on my cars, so I feel for you. I hope they get it fixed right and this is the last of the problem. Good thing it's still under warranty. I'd hate to think what this would cost to repair out of warranty.
fjk737 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
...I'd hate to think what this would cost to repair out of warranty.
No kiddin'!!!