GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GLE Coupe AIRMATIC question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE 43 AMG Coupe
GLE Coupe AIRMATIC question

Hello everyone,

First of all i am a new member here and for the first time a Mercedes owner. Me and my wife only had BMWs as our cars and all over sudden my wife decided to step to the dark side and we got a lightly used 2018 GLE 43 AMG Coupe. There are a couple of weird things that kind of bother me so i wanted to get your guys thoughts.

1) AIRMATIC seems to be pretty stiff even in comfort setting, its about as stiff as my M3. Our car has 22" wheels but i dont know if they should make the ride that stiff. There is no codes and car goes up and down and everything but how is your ride on 22" wheels? Has anyone ever had an issue with stiff ride and dealership found something even though no codes present?
2) Interior has some weird creaks coming from steering wheel and a little bit from somewhere behind. Does Mercedes dealership try to remove any creaks while the car under warranty or no?
Old 11-18-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Aswy6
Hello everyone,

First of all i am a new member here and for the first time a Mercedes owner. Me and my wife only had BMWs as our cars and all over sudden my wife decided to step to the dark side and we got a lightly used 2018 GLE 43 AMG Coupe. There are a couple of weird things that kind of bother me so i wanted to get your guys thoughts.

1) AIRMATIC seems to be pretty stiff even in comfort setting, its about as stiff as my M3. Our car has 22" wheels but i dont know if they should make the ride that stiff. There is no codes and car goes up and down and everything but how is your ride on 22" wheels? Has anyone ever had an issue with stiff ride and dealership found something even though no codes present?
I don't know that this is a direct answer to your question, but it's my thoughts.

I've always thought that the GLE43 road a little bit stiff too. The last SUV that we had was a VW Touareg. The GLE rides rougher than that for sure.

But, one thing that I've reconciled with is that this is an AMG, and as such, the AMG moniker carries with it a sense of sport. Since we don't have a non-AMG version of the GLE, I have to assume that the suspension is setup a little bit more sporty, and that's the reason that it rides rough. I've never driven an E series AMG vs. non-AMG, so I don't really have a baseline there either.

We have 22's as well, and I also think that leads to harshness in ride. That is a LOT of tread on the ground.

Those are my thoughts / assumptions, and I could be way off...
Old 11-18-2019, 06:28 PM

GLE 43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by cadman_ks
I don't know that this is a direct answer to your question, but it's my thoughts.

I've always thought that the GLE43 road a little bit stiff too. The last SUV that we had was a VW Touareg. The GLE rides rougher than that for sure.

But, one thing that I've reconciled with is that this is an AMG, and as such, the AMG moniker carries with it a sense of sport. Since we don't have a non-AMG version of the GLE, I have to assume that the suspension is setup a little bit more sporty, and that's the reason that it rides rough. I've never driven an E series AMG vs. non-AMG, so I don't really have a baseline there either.

We have 22's as well, and I also think that leads to harshness in ride. That is a LOT of tread on the ground.

Those are my thoughts / assumptions, and I could be way off...
I totally understand the whole AMG thing and that its more sporty than traditional non coupe GLE but should it be as rough as my M3? I especially notice the roughness when driving on highway over bridge gaps or pot holes.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:39 PM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
I totally understand the whole AMG thing and that its more sporty than traditional non coupe GLE but should it be as rough as my M3? I especially notice the roughness when driving on highway over bridge gaps or pot holes.
I just assume that's all normal.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,968 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I have 20" wheels on a GLE350 and I consider the ride harsh. 22" wheels on an AMG seems like the ride would be very harsh and slappy.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 AM

GLE 43 AMG Coupe
How about the interior sounds? Mine makes all kind of creaking noises from center panel, steering wheels and a little bit from headliner. Does your GLE makes them too?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:00 PM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
How about the interior sounds? Mine makes all kind of creaking noises from center panel, steering wheels and a little bit from headliner. Does your GLE makes them too?
Yeah, some. Mostly from the center panel. I haven't spent a lot of time pinpointing them. They haven't too obnoxious at this point...

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2019, 10:16 PM

GLE 43 AMG Coupe
Sorry to bring this up again but i still think there is something fishy going on. Today i noticed that driving on rough asphalt i hear continuous cracking sounds from passenger wheel. Like as if something is loose or something is rubbing. But nothing can be rubbing. I guess i will just have my wife take it to the dealer for them to check it but do you have any thoughts on this?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:26 PM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
Sorry to bring this up again but i still think there is something fishy going on. Today i noticed that driving on rough asphalt i hear continuous cracking sounds from passenger wheel. Like as if something is loose or something is rubbing. But nothing can be rubbing. I guess i will just have my wife take it to the dealer for them to check it but do you have any thoughts on this?
Sorry, I don't unfortunately.

I think you are on the right track by taking it to the dealership.

Good luck, and I hope they figure it out.

My apologies for not being able to help...
Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 PM

GLE 43 AMG Coupe
Sorry, I don't unfortunately.

I think you are on the right track by taking it to the dealership.

Good luck, and I hope they figure it out.

My apologies for not being able to help...
No worries at all! Will report back if they find something