GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 GLE43 Coupe rationale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'74 911 Targa / '13 FX37 / 05 G35 / '14 E350
2019 GLE43 Coupe rationale

(all prices and milage Canadian)
Keeping
2014 E350 coupe - just paint corrected its looking sweet - only issue was a $1000 AC repair (fingers crossed)
Selling / Replacing 2013 Infiniti FX37 (similar coupe styling) - LOVE it but it's getting on in milage
Considering Black 2019 GLE43 Coupe loaded EXCEPT driver assist (including tow package) it only has 4000Km (2500 miles)
USE: Daily driver including snowy winters 60-90 minutes a day on back and secondary roads, road trips, towing a 3500lb sailboat (boat and trailer)

2021 Coupes are $120K ($95K USD) and I get the above for $80K ($63K US) the way I see it I am giving up 2 model years, the awesome new face / grille (going to upgrade with something similar aftermarket), the electric boost (my driving does not want for more power), new infotainment dash (the big screen is cool but many features I would not use and the AMG cluster in the '19 looks good. The plan would be to aim for getting 10 years out of the new car.

Part of the transaction is certainly about value - I have no issue buying the good stuff, but the 120K seems a bit wasteful.

1. Is this C292 platform (US built) a good overall choice
2. What am I missing in my calculus?

Old 03-02-2021, 09:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
1998 C200, 2004 ML350, 2015 C250 & 2017 GLE 43AMG Coupe
For 2/3 of the current value on the model replacement I think the former is a sweet spot. There is more bang for the buck on the 2019. The engine on the 2019 43 has been around for almost a decade and has proven reliability.

I have had one for almost 4years and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I start it.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM

Wise words - I guess partially I am looking to justify the purchase ; )

Also when driven in normal (or whatever its called) do you notice a flat spot when first applying gas? Seems not very responsive sort of from 20-40 km / hour or so - then when you bring on more throttle it lurches - I have another test ride saturday perhaps to finalize the deal. The current Infiniti Fx37 gas pedal is "by wire" and it has a very straight line acceleration - its very satisfying. It's really my only criticism and "hesitation" to purchase the 2019 GLE43
Old 03-04-2021, 03:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
1998 C200, 2004 ML350, 2015 C250 & 2017 GLE 43AMG Coupe
I suppose you are referring to comfort mode. You could be right though over the years I have adopted to the throttle response. When I need a quicker response I just dial up to sport or sport+ mode. I have to say though that perhaps 90% of the time I drive in comfort mode and rarely find myself wanting for more.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by capncrunch
Wise words - I guess partially I am looking to justify the purchase ; )

Also when driven in normal (or whatever its called) do you notice a flat spot when first applying gas? Seems not very responsive sort of from 20-40 km / hour or so - then when you bring on more throttle it lurches - I have another test ride saturday perhaps to finalize the deal. The current Infiniti Fx37 gas pedal is "by wire" and it has a very straight line acceleration - its very satisfying. It's really my only criticism and "hesitation" to purchase the 2019 GLE43
Hmm, I have a 2016 and never felt a "flat" acceleration while in Comfort mode. It could be that the TCU just needs to be reset as the previous owner probably drove like a grandma, and all Mercedes cars will learn the driver's habits and "adapt" to their driving conditions. You can reset this manually or tell the dealer to do it before you take delivery of the car.

That being said, this is a turbo car, so there is turbo lag as well as acceleration will continue to improve as the turbos increase pressure.

I hope that helps, and I will say the C292 has been my most favorite Mercedes and really the best car I've ever owned!

Last edited by Skyline45; 03-06-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:29 PM

I've never heard of the TCU but I'll be researching that for sure - good tip!

A Brilliant blue metallic, premium and intelligent drive, hitch, night package, 4000 miles, came up this morning as I was going to seal the deal on a previously driven car so I bought it!
Couple things:
--first car driven for second time this morn (not purchased - 2500 miles) had a tiny amount of vibration in the wheel and seat. It also has bit of shutter if you lifted off the gas quickly - it bugged me a little but wrote it off to me being picky, it was probably normal and the fact that it was a good deal. Was going to commit and decided to drive the extra hour to see the second car and it was BUTTER - zero vibration on acceleration, (soft or hard) breaking, everywhere - put a big smile on my face, it was cheaper AND it was the colour I wanted although I would have settled for black (beggers can't be choosy)
--dealer met my offered discount and threw in winter matts
--I found out later that while the car was low miles it was a trade - someone with more money that I must have wanted a change shortly after buying it so the dealer had more room to negotiate than a factory car
--added extended warranty so I am good for additional 180 000 km or about 5.5 years
--because I was well up on the model and pricing it took all of 40 minutes from test drive to signing
--I feel a little ****ty for the sales guy at the first dealership he was very patient and instantly responded to texts and emails - he did everything he could...

I went from not sure I wanted to jump from the Infiniti FX37 (the car is that good) to being absolutely stoked to receive the new ride on Thursday.

2 things
--the dealership was winding down and no one could tell me what the small bar type graph chart was showing "charge" the bars would slide left showing something charging (I know the 2019 does not have the EQ boost) I drove the sales guy around but could not see the same chart - any ideas?
--My 2014 E350 has nearly the same grille and I LOVE the panamera (2021 grille) so I am really thinking about the swopping out the OEM grill for an aftermarket - thoughts?

Old 05-17-2021, 10:48 AM

2 MONTH UPDATE + Questions

I LOVE my 2019 GLE 43 - random comments:
--its a head turning BEAST - perhaps partially because of the awesome blue color
--its many cars in one - set to Comfy and go get some groceries of set to Sport+ crank the tunes and hang on
--the cornering / grip from the camber and wide tires is unbelievable - I have no issue with a controlled loose rear end (I have an old 911) but I can't fathom what the limits would be to lose grip on this this combo - if I had a safe "off" I'd take an on-ramp at 60MPH+ and I bet it would hold
--EVERYONE loves the exhaust pop-off or snap or whatever it is - the downshift pop is even better
--I prefer the "analog" dash to the all video one in the 2021 but I bet the EQ boost is another level of fun
--bought with only 9000km so paint was good but got it "paint corrected" and ceramic coated - glad I did it

Downsides - all of which I can see past
--its delightfully impractical - sightlines are crap, reaching in more than a couple feet into the tailgate is nearly impossible unless you lean on the bumper, a little hop in and out (I have running boards as well) is easiest in and out but I LOVE it
--disappointing couple of squeeks in the centre console can be very annoying but does not appear to be consistent
--don't find the seats very comfy yet maybe I have not found the right cobo
--I need to turn presets to off in order to get my radio presets - otherwise it defaults to tuning to every available station
--I thought apple car play did more but whatever

Couple questions please
1. Given the camber of the rears should I expect quicker tire wear?
2. Has anyone noticed any positive or negative trends out of the US MB factories vs. German?
The following users liked this post:
Skyline45 (05-19-2021)