GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

GLE63S vs RSQ8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 08:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Keep in mind that choosing the upgraded sound system deletes the spare tire since that's where the subwoofer goes.
The following users liked this post:
V8ray (02-10-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1969 Camaro
Originally Posted by TheGuac
I've got the next gen RS7 so the same car, just different dimensions. I much prefer the look of the RS7 over the RS6, hence the RS7 purchase. I need an SUV for the ground clearance issues when it snows a ton in Colorado. RSQ8 would be more of the same when paired with the RS7. Seems like I would get bored faster since the interior and some of the exterior is the same.

I kind of am digging the look of the GLE63 Coupe now over the SUV. Seems more sporty, but functionality is worse and the Coupe would be white color rather than the blue for the SUV (at least the ones I am looking at).
In much the same boat as you, I have an E63 S wagon, tons of room and I love that it is a car. I go to Vermont a lot and need something with some more ground clearance that can fit a couple dogs in the back. I was using my old lifted Wrangler as my bad weather vehicle, but it gets tiring really fast on long freeway dives. Was debating between the X5 M or GLE63 S, looked at them both, I liked the BMW more in pictures, but the MB more in person. I kind of wanted something a little different since the interior is so similar in the GLE compared to my E...but I absolutely love the interior. It is way better than my wife's Q7...that being said, the Q7 is a 2018 and not an RSQ7/8. Really wanted the winter tire package which is sold out...so placed an order to get exactly what I want and will order the package this summer when it becomes available again.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLE63S Coupe, '21 RS7, '21 Supra
Bit the bullet on the GLE63S. Found one with everything I wanted and more (don't think that CF engine cover is worth it but oh well) and will be signing the paperwork this week. Dealer is in another state. I did get better deals at some of my local dealers but they didn't have the high end sound system that I wanted. At the end of the day, RSQ8 is just another RS7 that rides higher. I'm not a manufacturer fan boy who has to have the same brand for every one of his cars (although I do tend to favor Audi) and test driving the GLE63 was super eye opening. Very comfortable seats and the exhaust sounds wicked for being neutered a little.

I did get the coupe since the SUV seems a little boring to me. I like sporty look. I also might get the Supra too for nimble sports car; won't beat my R8 that I traded in but I never drove that in fear of getting hit by another car or hail damage, etc. Supra's price is a little more palatable for getting abused but still having fun. Its exhaust also sounds better than the sports exhaust on the R8 after that Audi ECU update they rolled out after Europe tightened their restrictions.
The following users liked this post:
V8ray (02-14-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLE 63S
Congrats and enjoy!! Please post pics when you get it!!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:33 PM

Did any of you guys get the wheel and tire protection the dealer offers? They want $1900 for 5 years which seems steep. It doesn't seem like it is refunded if you trade in the car and I'm not sure it covers replacement of the rims if they are damaged. With the thick sidewalls on the GLE tires, not sure curb rash is as big a deal as other cars with thinner tires. And I will be going straight to winter tires so those won't be covered. Leaning on no as a result.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:20 AM

2021 GLE 63S
Did any of you guys get the wheel and tire protection the dealer offers? They want $1900 for 5 years which seems steep. It doesn't seem like it is refunded if you trade in the car and I'm not sure it covers replacement of the rims if they are damaged. With the thick sidewalls on the GLE tires, not sure curb rash is as big a deal as other cars with thinner tires. And I will be going straight to winter tires so those won't be covered. Leaning on no as a result.
I choose not to get it. Like you say, the sidewalls are thick on the GLE. I also try to be on the lookout for potholes. Having said that, $1,900 isn't bad in the big scheme of things for 5 years if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while. One or two incidents pays for the coverage.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:49 PM

Yeah that's what I figured. I'm usually super careful with my cars and avoid potholes. I doubt I will be keeping the car for 5 years, considering I've had 22 vehicles in the last 10 years. Maybe 2 years so I'm not sure it is worth it. Those matte black wheels are super expensive and very hard to fix. Just seems the Mercedes package is more restrictive than the Audi one, which I did get for my RS7.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:02 AM

2021 GLE 63S
Yeah that's what I figured. I'm usually super careful with my cars and avoid potholes. I doubt I will be keeping the car for 5 years, considering I've had 22 vehicles in the last 10 years. Maybe 2 years so I'm not sure it is worth it. Those matte black wheels are super expensive and very hard to fix. Just seems the Mercedes package is more restrictive than the Audi one, which I did get for my RS7.
LOL re 22 cars in 10 years. Seems like we have similar issues...Having said that I'm in love with my GLE 63S so maybe I will end up keeping it longer than my usual 6-12 months. Check out this thread on Bimmerpost for my 2020 car buying experience if you're interested...https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784045
Old 02-19-2021, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by GlennC
LOL re 22 cars in 10 years. Seems like we have similar issues...Having said that I'm in love with my GLE 63S so maybe I will end up keeping it longer than my usual 6-12 months. Check out this thread on Bimmerpost for my 2020 car buying experience if you're interested...https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784045
I didn't even look at the X5M. Based on the horrible ride quality of the X3M I had, it wasn't ever going to be in the running. BMW interiors on their premium cars are average and their exhausts aren't as good. It just sucks both BMW and Mercedes SUVs are built in the USA. I feel like if you are going to spend over $100k on a car, you want it built where the manufacturer is headquartered.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 883 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Let me say this about made in USA MB's. I've had multiple S classes, multiple E's, CL, GL's, GLE's (164 & 166's) and by far and away the most reliable are the GL/GLE's built in the US. The S classes have too much tech for their time and end up being very problematic and extremely expensive to own long term. Sure, they are fine under warranty but not much after that. Now, the E's have all been reliable for the most part but the US built SUV's have performed much better over the long haul than their German built counterparts. Besides, if the GLE were made in Germany, I'd bet the AMG variant would be, at least, 30% more expensive.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:38 PM

Here it is! Flew out yesterday to sign paperwork and now it's on the truck for the 900 mile journey here. I feel like this color is better than white, and this is color I had on my E63S. Not a big fan of white paint on a car, even with the black accents. Would have preferred brilliant blue but didn't want to wait for one to get built; would have taken until June.

Fit and finish is excellent and I love the Air Balance system. Had it on my c43 and it does make it smell nice inside. It's a big car and it feels big and high up the ground but you can tell it's powerful and the upgraded sound system is amazing. It's got pretty much every option, including red seatbelts haha.

Having issues with Mercedes Connect and it keeps giving me alarms of false collisions and stuff while it's on the truck, which is annoying and stressful, but according to the driver it's just chilling in the trailer with no issues so probably from the bumps on the road. The alarm even went off when he stopped to get gas...wtf.

Coming tomorrow and it's getting 285/22 winter tires right away, then off to detailer/ppf guy once next snow storm is done next week.

Last edited by TheGuac; 02-21-2021 at 05:46 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by TheGuac:
BACnMercedes (02-22-2021), GlennC (02-22-2021), js_cls (02-21-2021), RaceTank (02-22-2021), T_D (06-25-2022), V8ray (02-21-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:13 AM

2021 GLE 63S
Looks amazing! Congratulations and Enjoy!!
Old 02-24-2021, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GLE 63S Coupe
Here it is! Flew out yesterday to sign paperwork and now it's on the truck for the 900 mile journey here. I feel like this color is better than white, and this is color I had on my E63S. Not a big fan of white paint on a car, even with the black accents. Would have preferred brilliant blue but didn't want to wait for one to get built; would have taken until June.

Fit and finish is excellent and I love the Air Balance system. Had it on my c43 and it does make it smell nice inside. It's a big car and it feels big and high up the ground but you can tell it's powerful and the upgraded sound system is amazing. It's got pretty much every option, including red seatbelts haha.

Having issues with Mercedes Connect and it keeps giving me alarms of false collisions and stuff while it's on the truck, which is annoying and stressful, but according to the driver it's just chilling in the trailer with no issues so probably from the bumps on the road. The alarm even went off when he stopped to get gas...wtf.

Coming tomorrow and it's getting 285/22 winter tires right away, then off to detailer/ppf guy once next snow storm is done next week.

You are going to love this car. Got my 63S Coupe in late December and it is a beast!

I was lucky the dealer had a 63S Coupe to buy and I live in the 4th largest market in the US. More availability now, obviously.

Did PPF on the front, ceramic coat on the rest, and added a Radenso RCM/ALP unit to hopefully avoid tickets.

Get through your break-in period and then mash that accelerator like you stole it.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fred Stromile
You are going to love this car. Got my 63S Coupe in late December and it is a beast!

I was lucky the dealer had a 63S Coupe to buy and I live in the 4th largest market in the US. More availability now, obviously.

Did PPF on the front, ceramic coat on the rest, and added a Radenso RCM/ALP unit to hopefully avoid tickets.

Get through your break-in period and then mash that accelerator like you stole it.
Thanks! I live in Denver and we are in the middle of an accelerating snow season, so I got snow tires put on it immediately. 285/40 R22 Pirelli Winters on all 4. Makes the rear AMG rims stick out a bit in the back but I prefer a square set up to a staggered set up just for traction sake. Might get the 325s next winter if I don't like the look of the 285s in back.

Taking it to get the PPF in front and ceramic coating around the whole car and wheels + tint tomorrow. Won't have it for a few days but hoping the snow stays away after tonight's storm.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:28 PM

Quick question: in order to do ppf on the front fender, my detailer would have to remove the "V8 Biturbo 4matic+" emblem on both sides. You guys think that's a good idea? Would it look better without those emblems? He could plot around the emblems but you would see a line there. I could potentially buy new badges and have those installed over the ppf as well. He thinks debadging that area would look better. I'm conflicted.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:00 AM

2021 GLE 63S
Quick question: in order to do ppf on the front fender, my detailer would have to remove the "V8 Biturbo 4matic+" emblem on both sides. You guys think that's a good idea? Would it look better without those emblems? He could plot around the emblems but you would see a line there. I could potentially buy new badges and have those installed over the ppf as well. He thinks debadging that area would look better. I'm conflicted.
I had my detailer remove all emblems prior to installing the PPF. The rear emblems are thick enough that they were able to be re-applied to the car after the film was done. However the side emblems were not able to be re-used so he purchased new ones for me at the dealer and put them once the PPF was done. I know there are a lot of folks who like to de-badge their cars but I'm not one of them. I think the side emblems look great and serve as a differentiator to the non AMGs.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:03 PM

I had my detailer remove all emblems prior to installing the PPF. The rear emblems are thick enough that they were able to be re-applied to the car after the film was done. However the side emblems were not able to be re-used so he purchased new ones for me at the dealer and put them once the PPF was done. I know there are a lot of folks who like to de-badge their cars but I'm not one of them. I think the side emblems look great and serve as a differentiator to the non AMGs.
I agree. My local Mercedes dealer parts dept is really rude and not friendly so we will see if they actually did order these emblems. Supposed to come tomorrow but I doubt they will.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GLE 63S Coupe
Agreed and did the same. In fact, still waiting for my ppf installer to get the side emblems in and put them back on the car.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:20 PM

We just got a giant snowstorm in Denver and wanted to try out the AWD on the GLE (with snow tires) but the ceramic coating is still curing so decided not to and took my RS7 out to go to the gym. Now I got a pitted windshield. Argh! Why are windshields so soft these days?

Last edited by TheGuac; 03-14-2021 at 05:26 PM.