GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

New Owner...thinking of 2021 GLE63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 ML350
New Owner...thinking of 2021 GLE63s

Hi everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am new to the forum but not new to the MB brand. I currently own a ML350 which I bought new in 2014, and my mom/dad both have E350's. I was looking into purchasing a new GLE63s. My ML350 has been rock solid for the past 6 years with 0 issues. Literally the only issue I had was a flat tire and that came right at the time when I had to get 4 tires replaced anyway. Other than that, the car has been super reliable and has always been dealer serviced. I know the 63S is the higher performance version of what I have but I wanted to know if the car will be reliable after the 4 year/50k warranty. I always hear horror stories of things breaking and costing an arm and a leg after the warranty is out. Also from a maintenance perspective how much higher will the maintenance be compared to that of a non AMG car. I have been WFH for the past 1 year due to COVID-19 but once the office opens up, I will be putting about 12-15k miles per year on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE63 AMG
Originally Posted by regclown124
Hi everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am new to the forum but not new to the MB brand. I currently own a ML350 which I bought new in 2014, and my mom/dad both have E350's. I was looking into purchasing a new GLE63s. My ML350 has been rock solid for the past 6 years with 0 issues. Literally the only issue I had was a flat tire and that came right at the time when I had to get 4 tires replaced anyway. Other than that, the car has been super reliable and has always been dealer serviced. I know the 63S is the higher performance version of what I have but I wanted to know if the car will be reliable after the 4 year/50k warranty. I always hear horror stories of things breaking and costing an arm and a leg after the warranty is out. Also from a maintenance perspective how much higher will the maintenance be compared to that of a non AMG car. I have been WFH for the past 1 year due to COVID-19 but once the office opens up, I will be putting about 12-15k miles per year on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You're thinking about going from a car that's worth 10-15K to a new 120K car. It's a tremendous upgrade and it's a fantastic vehicle. Will the car be reliable after warranty? Relatively yes, it's not a like a BMW where everything from injectors to water pumps to rod bearing issues arise on all of their cars. It'll be reliable but out of warranty repairs and maintenance aren't cheap on AMG cars, compared to a ML350 it's significantly more. 21-22" tires aren't cheap and they don't last long with 600hp. Large brake rotors and pads aren't cheap. Airmatic replacement isn't cheap. If you can't afford a 5K maintenance/repair event at any given time it would be a bad idea to get a AMG.

Also putting that kind of mileage on the car will depreciate it quicker as well. It's a great car, but in my opinion a persons income should be at least 130% of the car's purchase price at the least for it to make any fiscal sense of affordability(about 150K income for a 120K car purchase).
Old 04-20-2021, 02:32 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Agree. There's an AMG markup even for regular A and B service if you go to the dealer. I only drive 10-15k miles/yr and still go thru a set of tires annually at about $2500/set. Brakes usually last 18-24 mths.

Be ready for a large jump in insurance costs also. I just got a renewal for my '21 GLE63s and it's $2k/6 mths compared to the $1200/6mth I was paying on my previous AMG. I just shopped around w/ other insurance companies and most were quoting me $3-5k/6mths.

Last edited by another_geek; 04-20-2021 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
abg1032 (10-23-2023)