GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Front bumper black trim has faded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE AMG 63S
Front bumper black trim has faded

Dear members,
My GLE63s is white with black trim along the front bumpers. I noticed that the front black trim parts along along the air dam vents has faded from gloss black to a deep purple/blue. Its weird because the faded parts are only on these trim parts on the front bumper. Has anyone experienced this on their white GLE's ? The plastic seems to be different than the rest of the bumper, and I wasn't sure if these faded parts could be sprayed any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. I would like to restore the bumper to the original gloss black.
Thank you !
Old 10-26-2021, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE63S SUV
You're referring to the area shown below, correct? The same purple-ish discoloration has happened to my 2017 GLE63S SUV, which is obsidian black so the contrast against the rest of the car is even more noticeable. Short of repainting it, I don't think there's a solution for it.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:17 PM

GLE AMG 63S
Cool

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes exactly the same problem I have attached a pic of the front bumper both left and right sides. The dealer told me the plastic is made of a different material than the main bumper and for some reason it discolors with time. I was told I could re-paint the trim parts but the result may not be optimal because this plastic doesn't take paint well, the other option is to replace the trim which is costly because the bumper needs to be removed etc etc. Did you re-paint or replace the trim, I just noticed it and now I see it every time I look at vehicle ....ugh

Discolored from black trim.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE63S SUV
Wow that's significant discoloration! Do you keep the car out in the sun for extended periods? Mine hasn't gotten as bad as that yet so haven't repainted it, but seeing how bad it can get it might have to in the future.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
GLE63s C63s S560
that trim pops right off, and a new piece is cheap.

Alternatively you can get a carbon fiber "cap" for those. I have seen it on eBay
The following users liked this post:
Neurobit (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:39 AM

GLE AMG 63S
Smile

Originally Posted by RaceTank
that trim pops right off, and a new piece is cheap.

Alternatively you can get a carbon fiber "cap" for those. I have seen it on eBay
Thanks for letting me know, great suggestion, do I have to remove the bumper to pop out the trim ?
Old 10-31-2021, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Mine is fading too, I'm still under warranty though... will have them do it a few months before the warranty expires.... my gle63s is a 2018, always garaged by me but it was a leftover at the dealer for about a yr so I don't know if it always in the showroom, but i know i used to look at it all the time before i bought it LOL

My dash also lifted... badly... that has already been swapped out....

Mike
Old 10-31-2021, 09:43 AM

GLE AMG 63S
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
Mine is fading too, I'm still under warranty though... will have them do it a few months before the warranty expires.... my gle63s is a 2018, always garaged by me but it was a leftover at the dealer for about a yr so I don't know if it always in the showroom, but i know i used to look at it all the time before i bought it LOL

My dash also lifted... badly... that has already been swapped out....

Mike
Thanks very much for your rely. I did see the carbon caps on ebay but not sure how it look on bumper. I found a local detail shop that can wrap the trim with a high gloss 3M vinyl to match the rest of the bumper. Apparently this is also happens with the black trim on Mini's and BMW's I'm there must be others. I have had several black X5's and never experienced this problem. Its just weird that only happens on the select trim parts, likely because the plastic is different.

Thanks again for your interest and reply.
Lorrie