GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Trailer Hitch Controller Location? 2016 450 GLE AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 450 GLE AMG
Trailer Hitch Controller Location? 2016 450 GLE AMG

Does anyone know where the trailer hitch controller is located on the GLE AMG coup? Thanks
Old 08-17-2022, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W166 AMG forum...
Old 08-20-2022, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by glwright50
Does anyone know where the trailer hitch controller is located on the GLE AMG coup? Thanks
Not sure what you mean by hitch controller.
Do you mean a socket to plug in an aftermarket brake controller like Tekonsha?
Old 08-20-2022, 03:43 PM

2016 450 GLE AMG
No this is not an aftermarket component problem. I have the MB hitch and trailer light receptacle installed by MB. It stopped working and no DC voltages are currently detected at the hitch receptacle for any tail light function. I checked the fuses and they are OK. In looking at the list of controllers for this SUV I found:
  • SKU:246-900-35-18
  • Other Names:Cu Complete Trailer-Connect VAR2
  • Description:Suv, control modules, trailer hitch. Convertible, control modules, trailer hitch.
  • Condition:New
  • Replaces:246-900-03-16, 246-900-42-16
I assume this component or possibly an in-line fuse hidden somewhere might be the problem.

Since when the hitch receptacle was working, it detected when there was a bad trailer light bulb, I assume it must be a controller. Unfortunately there is no approximate location of this controller in any of the parts diagrams I have been able to find. When I asked the parts counter at my dealer, he played dumb and eventually gave me some fuses to look at and said "if it's not the fuses, make an appointment".

Am I foolish to want to fix this myself? Any help or input is appreciated.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
No this is not an aftermarket component problem. I have the MB hitch and trailer light receptacle installed by MB. It stopped working and no DC voltages are currently detected at the hitch receptacle for any tail light function. I checked the fuses and they are OK. In looking at the list of controllers for this SUV I found:
  • SKU:246-900-35-18
  • Other Names:Cu Complete Trailer-Connect VAR2
  • Description:Suv, control modules, trailer hitch. Convertible, control modules, trailer hitch.
  • Condition:New
  • Replaces:246-900-03-16, 246-900-42-16
I assume this component or possibly an in-line fuse hidden somewhere might be the problem.

Since when the hitch receptacle was working, it detected when there was a bad trailer light bulb, I assume it must be a controller. Unfortunately there is no approximate location of this controller in any of the parts diagrams I have been able to find. When I asked the parts counter at my dealer, he played dumb and eventually gave me some fuses to look at and said "if it's not the fuses, make an appointment".

Am I foolish to want to fix this myself? Any help or input is appreciated.
A couple of questions.
Is your car a 2016 like the thread title and your info shows?
If so, you are in the wrong forum.

If it's a 2016, there's a "rear SAM" (Signal Acquisition Module) in the right rear, that's part of the factory tow package.
If they are replaced, they need to be flashed by the dealer before they will work.
I'm not sure what your problem is, but it's very possible that all it needs is a reflash.

The physical installation isn't that difficult, I don't think, because I could see it on mine, but I think you'd have to remove some interior panels to get access.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:10 PM

2016 450 GLE AMG
Trailer hitch

Originally Posted by mikapen
A couple of questions.
Is your car a 2016 like the thread title and your info shows?
If so, you are in the wrong forum.

If it's a 2016, there's a "rear SAM" (Signal Acquisition Module) in the right rear, that's part of the factory tow package.
If they are replaced, they need to be flashed by the dealer before they will work.
I'm not sure what your problem is, but it's very possible that all it needs is a reflash.

The physical installation isn't that difficult, I don't think, because I could see it on mine, but I think you'd have to remove some interior panels to get access.

Yes it is the 2016 450 GLE coup AMG. My thread was transferred to this forum by the site moderator.

Thanks for the response. So is the “flash” you mention. some sort of computer reboot that only the dealer can do?

After further searching, I have found pictures of the module and used modules for sale which will help in locating it but if I have to take it to the dealer anyway I maybe stuck.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes it is the 2016 450 GLE coup AMG. My thread was transferred to this forum by the site moderator.

Thanks for the response. So is the “flash” you mention. some sort of computer reboot that only the dealer can do?

After further searching, I have found pictures of the module and used modules for sale which will help in locating it but if I have to take it to the dealer anyway I maybe stuck.
Dealer only I think. There were reports of owners installing the tow "kit" if they didn't order the tow package, and the final step always ended up at the Dealer for the flash. They could probably diagnose and/or re-flash.

BTW the "kit" cost about $2500 installed (instead of $750 when OE), but much of it was dismantling the rear end and installing the chassis reinforcement that was included during manufacture.
I actually did the same, for about the same money, on a CPO diesel Cayenne. I still have the take-off rear cross member they removed. Then I got Diesel-gated out of my car, and the previous owner got the Settlement. (The bright spot there, was that I left a CD in the CD player, and it was returned six months later, mailed direct from Germany. How about that?)