GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Brembo front caliper issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
Brembo front caliper issue?

Hello,

Had the brake sensor come on a few days ago and I ordered some ceramic pads to replace the semi-metallic ones that create an absolute ridiculous amount of dust (I think previous owner cheaped out on pads this go around, they were not MB ones). I started with the passenger front wheel and When I removed the pads the inner one was worn significantly more than the outer one. I was able to get the inner side pistons all pushed in with a ractheting caliper spreader. The middle piston on the outer side (where AMG sticker is) moved in and stopped a few mm short of being flush. The other two compressed fine. Threw the pads back in and had my friend pump the brake pedal and that middle piston came out fine and pushed the pad along with the other two. Tried compressing again and same thing, this piston doesnt want to go in as far as the other 5 in the caliper. With it sticking out that far I cannot get the new pads in because I need that few mm of clearance.

Anyone experience this before or have any thoughts? I put it all back together, and wanted to do some research. I didn't want to cause any damage with brute force unless brute force is needed. I want to avoid paying $900+ at the dealer and a indy shop for just replacing pads on 4 corners.

Old 12-08-2022, 03:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
18 GLE 63
They should all definitely go in the same amount, lol. Sounds like you may need to rebuild the caliper as a piston is "sticking."
Old 12-08-2022, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,219 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Are you using a caliper squeezer?
Besides giving you better leverage, they prevent having the piston getting "cocked" in the bore, which can damage things.

Edit: I hope this isn't the case, but the PO may have damaged something in there.
Also (IDK) are the pistons supposed to be "clocked," or oriented in a certain way?

Last edited by mikapen; 12-08-2022 at 04:43 PM.