GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

2018 GLE63 S front control arm bushes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE63S
2018 GLE63 S front control arm bushes

Looking to replace front control arm bushes in my GLE travelled 124,000km..having problems with Camber pull and torque steer under moderate acceleration on roads with a poor surface, smooth roads no problem. Wheel alignment is within MB spec from their wheel alignment machine, although I did install camber reduction bolts and camber is now -1.0 L& R from -1.4 and this made a big difference with settling the vehicle down.

Questions:
1. What are the thoughts on bushes that have travelled 120,000km, ok, marginal, or replace period!
2.Where can I find good prcing and part numbers for the OE bushes?
3.How much of PITA is it to change them and can it be done on the vehicle?

TIA
Old 12-10-2023, 09:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,973 Likes on 3,123 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
General best practice is to replace the control arm and bushings as one assembly. To my knowledge this is how the parts are sold by MB - as a complete arm+bushings assembly.

Pressing out old bushings and pressing in new ones requires a workbench set up with an arbor press and the appropriate cups/tooling to fit the bushing diameters.

A benefit of replacing the arm+bushings as an assembly is that the ball joint is also replaced at the same time. A few years from now the ball joint will need replacing, and if you have already done it with the bushings, it saves a maintenance task.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
kiwiape (12-11-2023), mikapen (12-10-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 12:39 AM

GLE63S
I hear what you are saying. But I have a vehicle under AMG warranty with the problems as outlined, they are saying the bushes are ok and its normal for them to drive like this, perhaps they are right if the bushes have losy intergrity because this is how it would drive, but do they drive like this from new and are these bushes a high wear item and roughly how long are they good for, is the info I am looking for...to give me an idea. Have a look at my pics and give your trained eye opinions please.

Old 08-21-2024, 02:51 AM

GLE63S
I welcome your comments on replacing front (rear) control arm bushes please gents....

I'm wanting to replace the front control arm "rear" bushing https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...der-1663300143
a. Can this be done on the vehicle or be it a difficult task, or must the control arm be removed?
b. Is the bush a press fit onto the control arm and how tight is it actually..?....could it be hammered on or is it a hydraulic press job only, or does it simply thread on?
c. When these bushes wear, is it typical for negative camber to increase or decrease? (mine appear to have increased the negative camber or the control arm has moved to outside of vehicle).

Last edited by kiwiape; 08-21-2024 at 04:48 AM.