GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

2024 AMG GLE 53 HUD problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 08:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by aces&eights
Typical canned jargon bs. At least now you have something to show your dealer.
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait until the first service/oil change to bring it up and have them check it then. The MB dealership is like 45 min away. I have about 7k more miles until my first service. I will keep track of how many times it happens until then, get video of it every time. So far it's happened twice since I got the car on March 13th (I didn't get a video the first time it happened though)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,608 Likes on 1,184 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by aces&eights
Typical canned jargon bs. At least now you have something to show your dealer.
It is a canned response. It doesn't necessarily mean that nothing is done.

There are often behind-the-scenes contact between MB and the Dealer, that might result on a "surprise" solution from the Dealer.
It's happened to me.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
GLe 53
Originally Posted by 53mercedes
mine is at the dealership now to fix the HUD issue and the instrument cluster going black while driving. They have had it now almost a week and I have not heard a word. this is my third time in the dealer service department to fix this issue. I will let you know what I find out.
My follow up on the HUD repair that was made mid April. So far so good. Now approximately one month and I have not had one problem with HUD. I am hopeful that this issue was properly fixed.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 350 4MATIC
My follow up on the HUD repair that was made mid April. So far so good. Now approximately one month and I have not had one problem with HUD. I am hopeful that this issue was properly fixed.
Did they state what the issue with the HUD was and what they did to fix it?
Old 05-17-2024, 07:14 PM

GLe 53
They replaced the "internal cluster control unit". So far so good. one month and zero problems, 3 months will be the real test, if I go without any problems for 3 months my faith will be restored. I knock on wood as I love my 53 especially the driver assistance systems while on major roads, use it all the time, and you really need the HUD for that.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 AMG GLE53
They replaced the "internal cluster control unit". So far so good. one month and zero problems, 3 months will be the real test, if I go without any problems for 3 months my faith will be restored. I knock on wood as I love my 53 especially the driver assistance systems while on major roads, use it all the time, and you really need the HUD for that.
Thanks, that's good to know as I'm having issues again. Everything from blurred display to the HUD Inoperative message. Strange as it was fine for a while. But it's back!
Old 05-20-2024, 01:07 PM

GLe 53
Sorry to hear about your issues. It is very frustrating I get it. One common theme is that the HUD Not Operating issue will reset after some period of time of being off. At first, it would reset after sitting over night and after software updates is seemed to reset after being off for an hour or two. If this is your experience as well, it might well be the internal cluster control unit. Also my problems included the control cluster going black while driving. Obvious safety issue. Maybe this prompted MB to take a more agressive action to fix it. Don't know, just suggesting....
The following users liked this post:
Petersla (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 AMG GLE53
It's been in once for this issue and the dealer did a SW update. Right after getting it back, it still had the problem. Then a week or so later MB rolled out an update and the problem went away. So I didn't pursue any further. I have had one very random case of my entertainment screen going blank, but it came back when I restarted the vehicle. Wrote that off to a one-of.

It's been a few months and I know there's been probably two OTA updates since then, and now I'm back to the HUD problems. Not saying that's the cause. But you never know what they fiddle with in the background that has unintended consequences.

This last outing, it was not functioning when I started out for the day, and operating when I got back in after being parked for about 30 minutes. The opposite of what typically happens.

In any case, I will be contacting the dealer. This nonsense is unacceptable. Glad that yours has been sorted! Just curious, did replacing the internal cluster control unit involve removing the dash? Wondering how big of a job it is.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:03 PM

GLe 53
No dash work that I am aware of. The internal cluster control unit was accessed through the engine compartment with the hood up for access. I monitored my car status, including hood up, windows down, and unlocked, and the hood was up during the 3 days they were working on it. My car was at the dealer's service department for one week, though I think they were actively working on it during the last 3 days. They also took it for several test drives to confirm that it was working properly. Again the Mercedes Me app displays mileage so I could tell which days they drove it at least 10 miles. To be clear, I am one month with no issues at all, so great start. I will be satisfied that the problem is actually fixed once I reach 3 months with no issues at all. I will post on this site once the 3 months have passed and hopefully successfully.
The following users liked this post:
Petersla (05-20-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:46 AM

GLe 53
Update on my fix to correct the HUD. Now 3 months since the dealer fixed the problem and I have NOT had a problem since, not one. I am now happy and feel like they have solved the problem. I love my 53 it is such a pleasure to drive and highway trips the driver assistance package is excellent, no complaints at all, the trips are much easier to make as my job while on the highways is to monitor and make minor adjustments as road conditions or traffic levels require. Best car I have ever owned. By the way and you probably already know this, "hey Mercedes" not only manages navigation but it also manages your music and cell phone. Really nice.
The following 2 users liked this post by 53mercedes:
MBArizona (06-24-2024), Petersla (06-25-2024)