GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

2024 AMG GLE 53 HUD problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 04:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
GLe 53
2024 AMG GLE 53 HUD problems

Took delivery on a 2024 AMG GLE 53 in August. Starting in November I started having Heads Up Display problems. First I would get warning message on the driver display reading "Heads Up Inoperative" and there would be no display on the windshield at all. Hours later and sometimes the next day after a number restarts, the HUD would be a jumbled mess of commingled colors, not legible, if anything just a distraction. Again after a number of hours or usually the next day, the HUD would appear to be operating normal. I took the car to the dealership in December and they said that the software had to be updated. Unfortunately one month later the HUD is not working and repeating the error message followed hours later with a display with the symbols in jumbled colors and the lines very blurry. I am taking it back to the dealer. If it is software wouldn't other people have a similar problem? The dealership now tells me that they have not this issue in other cars. Any comments would be appreciated.

PS I use the Driver Assistance a lot and you need the HUD to safely use the Driver Assistance as you can monitor the HUD for engaged green symbol without taking your eyes off of the road. The symbol of a steering wheel is green wihen it is engaged and turns white when it is not engaged. Note it will automatically disengage if the lane lines are not bright or the highway has construction areas.
The following users liked this post:
dsiungerich (01-28-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 1,167 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
My first guess would be a loose projector, but I don't even know if it's possible.

Last edited by mikapen; 01-12-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2024 Mercedes GLE 63s Coupe
I have the same problem, after leaving my car off for a few hours, sometimes when I get in it says heads up display inoperative. I was going to take it back to the dealer but it fixed itself after I got home and restarted the car. I’m not sure what causes it but seems to be a temporary issue that happens occasionally.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:37 AM

GLe 53
Originally Posted by Chormz
I have the same problem, after leaving my car off for a few hours, sometimes when I get in it says heads up display inoperative. I was going to take it back to the dealer but it fixed itself after I got home and restarted the car. I’m not sure what causes it but seems to be a temporary issue that happens occasionally.
Sorry to hear you have same problem. Can I ask when you took delivery? It is an intermittent problem and like you reported after a day or two it seems to have reset itself, which is very odd. I paid a small fortune as I really wanted the new technology. I am taking mine back next week to the dealer to have this issue addressed for a second time. I expect the HUD to work as advertised and I want a paper trail that MB has a defective issue which needs to be addressed. Given that the software update did not solve this issue, it leads me to believe that it something in the hardware such defective firmware. I rely on the HUD for everyday driving. The dealer told me that my car is the only one that has HUD issues. Okay then software update makes no sense. Time to address the hardware, like replace the HUD projector. We will see. I will post what they tell me next week.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 AMG GLE53
ugh, sign me up. I have the same issue. It's fine when I head out. Stop somewhere, restart, and get the error message that the HUD is inoperative. I have gotten the blurry/scrambled images once. Leave the car in the garage overnight and like magic, everything is fine. BTW, I am getting Apple Car Play issues as well. Anyone else? Very similar in that it connects (wirelessly) when I first head out. But after that it doesn't (a stop and restart). Fine the next day. FYI, Delivery early Nov 23, build Oct '23.
Old 01-12-2024, 11:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
CLS63AMG
I had the EXACT same issue about a week after I received the car turned the car off when parked, and when came back after errands, it was back to normal and never happened again 2024 model 2100 miles so, hopefully a one-time glitch yours def and unfor sounds worse and I would make them resolve for sure
Old 01-12-2024, 11:43 AM

2024 AMG GLE53
I have to make a service appointment for a couple fixes from the initial pick up (the parts came in - the door plate AMG inserts were slightly pitted in the finish and I told them to replace them and the PPF on the hood wasn't done right in one corner). It's on the list for sure!
Old 01-12-2024, 12:01 PM

GLe 53
Sounds like the HUD issue is more than just my car. For what it is worth. First problem occurred approximately 3 months after I picked it up. Took it to the dealer and they said software had to be updated. Then approximately 2 weeks later I got the error warning and no HUD display for my short trip. Next day it was fine. Then two weeks later got the error message followed by the jumbled HUD display. This was one month after the dealer updated the software. Next day it was back to normal. I called dealer and made appointment. I will take it back every time this happens from here out as MB must be informed they have a problem and need to fix it.

PS I took pictures of the error message and of the subsequent HUD jumbled display. They need proof and as we know it seems to reboot over night and is back to normal for some period of time.
Petersla (01-12-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 02:59 PM

GLe 53
Update. Today 17 jan 2024 picked up my car from MB dealer service to fix HUD issues. I was told that the defect required a software update to the communication systems between the HUD and cluster display to correct the issue. They said that this was a different software update than they did on 10 Dec 2023 to fix the same issue as that update on the first fix was only for the HUD software. I am told that it is only my car. Does not add up if it is a software update as it would have to impact every car with the same software. I am not thrilled as I a doubtful that a second software update will fix the HUD issue. If it is a software issue it must impact lots of cars, as a matter of fact, all MB cars with the same software. Key questions: Which models have had the same HUD issues? How many customers have complained of HUD failures?
Old 01-17-2024, 03:15 PM

Yeah it’s definitely not just your car I don’t know why they are telling you false information, this seems to be happening with a few people. However my HUD turns back on after a few minutes so it hasn’t been a huge deal for me, and also it has only happened to me about 3 times so seems to be fairly rare when it happens.

Originally Posted by 53mercedes
Update. Today 17 jan 2024 picked up my car from MB dealer service to fix HUD issues. I was told that the defect required a software update to the communication systems between the HUD and cluster display to correct the issue. They said that this was a different software update than they did on 10 Dec 2023 to fix the same issue as that update on the first fix was only for the HUD software. I am told that it is only my car. Does not add up if it is a software update as it would have to impact every car with the same software. I am not thrilled as I a doubtful that a second software update will fix the HUD issue. If it is a software issue it must impact lots of cars, as a matter of fact, all MB cars with the same software. Key questions: Which models have had the same HUD issues? How many customers have complained of HUD failures?
Old 01-17-2024, 03:29 PM

GLe 53
My experience is a little worse. Once I get the "Heads Up Inoperative" warning message, mine is off for hours, usually 2 to 4 hours. I have tried turning it off, waiting a few minutes and starting it again and this has not fixed my problem. Normally it is off for hours, then when it does come back on that same day or night it is a jumble of colors and blurry and not legible. The next day it is back to normal. temporary yes. I paid full price and MB premium for technology which should reliably work. I love the HUD and have come to rely on it especially when I have engaged Driver Assistance.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:32 PM

2024 AMG GLE53
This is a good info guys. I have my appt set up for service on Tuesday (Jan 23). I'll post what gets done.
cosreif (01-26-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 03:34 PM

yeah understandable, it’s ridiculous that a bug like this exists when you pay over $100,000 for a vehicle this should be fixed as soon as possible.

My experience is a little worse. Once I get the "Heads Up Inoperative" warning message, mine is off for hours, usually 2 to 4 hours. I have tried turning it off, waiting a few minutes and starting it again and this has not fixed my problem. Normally it is off for hours, then when it does come back on that same day or night it is a jumble of colors and blurry and not legible. The next day it is back to normal. temporary yes. I paid full price and MB premium for technology which should reliably work. I love the HUD and have come to rely on it especially when I have engaged Driver Assistance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chormz:
cosreif (01-26-2024), WRC-LVR (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 03:40 PM

2024 AMG GLE53
^^I agree 100%. I've only gotten the blurry/jumbled display once, and took pics to document it. But like you, it doesn't come back quickly. It takes over night to reset. Quite annoying. I won't let it spoil my happiness with the car, it will get resolved. But I agree that we should not have to deal with it. MB should have such "bugs" worked out prior to release. If it's workmanship, well...shame on them.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:45 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Well like the latest commercial says :its a " Mercedes Benz"..They used to be rock solid but since the mid 90's and the addition of many electrical dodads, the quality is very poor. I know I would never buy another one esp when the service advisors tell you yours is the only one with the issue BUT many other folks are experiencing the same issue. Tell the service advisor the issue has to be reported to Mercedes in Germany and you want it documented ...if they give you crap about it get the service manager or general manager involved...three times and its a LEMON to be bought back by MB. IT'S a safety issue when driving

Last edited by WRC-LVR; 01-17-2024 at 03:48 PM.
cosreif (01-26-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gle 53
Mine is Inoperative as well in Seguin, Texas

I Took delivery on a 2024 AMG GLE 53 in December. Within the first month I started having Heads Up Display problems. First I would get warning message on the driver display reading "Heads Up Inoperative" and there would be no display on the windshield at all. Hours later and sometimes the next day after a number restarts, the HUD would be a holiday decorated display ... even the lines of the map had what appeared to be christmas lights on them, not legible, if anything just a distraction. Again after a number of hours or usually the next day, the HUD would appear to be operating normal. I took the car to the dealership ( mercedes of san antonio tx ) after the first time it happened and they said that the software had to be updated over the air. Unfortunately one month later the HUD is not working and repeating the error message followed hours later with a display with the symbols in jumbled colors and the lines very blurry. I am taking it back to the dealer. I really don't know what to do at this point ..... 8 more instances of this problem. If it is a software update problem wouldn't have updated over the air by now?

Any comments are more than welcome.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450
Sorry all you 2024 owners are having this problem. I've not had this problem in either my previous 2022 or my 2023. Doesn't it sound like a software glitch? These things are very frustrating when you spend so much on a new car!
Old 01-29-2024, 06:04 AM

2024 AMG GLE53
Mine is in the shop for this now. They said they had to do a "major" MBUX update. (what ever "major" equates to...) Fingers crossed it takes care of it. There was that OTA update around xmas which included a map update, and it has behaved until last weekend, when I got the error again.

Having a snow storm today, not sure if I will get it back today or tomorrow. Will let folks know if this fixes the problem. It's one of those things that could take time to pop up again.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:40 AM

GLe 53
On Jan 16 2024 the dealer updated the communication software. Yesterday on Feb 1 2024, in the morning it was fine when I started the car and drove to a destination. When I left the destination I got the error message "Heads-up Inoperative" and the HUD was not working, no display. I turned off the engine and restarted, no change it still did not work. yep not happy at all. On the way home stopped for another item. When I started the engine the HUD was normal back in operation. No jumbled mess of colors as it use to do. So 2 take aways. first it somehow fixed itself the same day as usually it had to sit overnight. Second no jumbled mess of colors. This is progress but not what I expect from Mercedes. HUD is essential for safe use of driver assistance package, which I use regularly. If it happens again I will take it back to the dealer.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:27 PM

2024 AMG GLE53
@53mercedes not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I just got my car back Tuesday. They ended up having it for a week. Not because of the HUD issue, but something else they were taking care of, and the appt kept getting dragged out. Not a technical issue. Had a loaner, so I didn't really care.

Of course it was fine coming home, and I haven't had it out since then (I work from home). I drive around mostly on the weekends. (lucky me) I will keep folks apprised of the success or failure of their "major update".
Old 02-03-2024, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
MB
Does the HUD dealer service menu settings show up at all when the HUD error comes up? Just curious.

See my video below on how to access it for pre-facelift:
​​​​​​

Last edited by wildta; 02-03-2024 at 11:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
Charcharius (04-07-2024), mikapen (02-05-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:55 PM

2024 AMG GLE53
Got to be kidding me…

Originally Posted by Petersla
Mine is in the shop for this now. They said they had to do a "major" MBUX update. (what ever "major" equates to...) Fingers crossed it takes care of it. There was that OTA update around xmas which included a map update, and it has behaved until last weekend, when I got the error again.

Having a snow storm today, not sure if I will get it back today or tomorrow. Will let folks know if this fixes the problem. It's one of those things that could take time to pop up again.
Still a problem. Was fine when picked up. Took it out Friday evening for an errand. No problem. Went to Dinner tonight (Saturday) and got in to go home from the restaurant and there it was the !@& error and no HUD again.

the “fix” lasted three days.

I texted the service advisor from the parking lot. Not a happy camper.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450
I like that screen (not the error, sorry) and wonder if my 2023 53 has that ? Is that "full screen"? I am on the super sport screen right now.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 1,167 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by wildta
Does the HUD dealer service menu settings show up at all when the HUD error comes up? Just curious.

See my video below on how to access it for pre-facelift:
https://youtu.be/F5h10sE4ams
​​​​​​
Thanks for the video. I always seem to forget the process about 20 minutes after I finally get it right!
Old 02-29-2024, 06:53 AM

GLe 53
Quick update, it has been 6 weeks since the software update and my HUD is working fine. I am hopeful that the HUD issues have been solved. The real test is can it go 3 months without issues. I will let you know. Hopefully everyone else has had similar results and your HUD is fully operational and reliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by 53mercedes:
amg2024 (03-02-2024), Petersla (02-29-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2024 AMG GLE 53 HUD problems