GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Overheating… thermostat going bad ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLE43
Overheating… thermostat going bad ?

2018 GLE 43 AMG

So I never had any overheating problems, but today while driving, I noticed my temperature gauge going up. It went all the way to the red. The “turn engine off message didn’t pop up” I quickly shut the car off under the red traffic light. Turned it back on when light got green and quickly parked up at the gas station. While the car was still on I checked to see if my fan was running and it was. I let the car run just a tad while it was near the “H” symbol And it’s slowly started creeping back down.

I’ve been observing the car by letting it run and it’s not overheating anymore, this never happened it just weird. It’s now running at normal temperatures.

I checked coolant level and it’s where it’s supposed to be, no leaks or anything. I did notice however when the temperature started rising that the AC was blowing a little warm ( wasn’t paying full attention)

I’m thinking maybe the thermostat is starting to go bad ?
Old 06-08-2024, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLE43
Update!!!!

Problem solved! So after throwing parts at the car, I found out my radiator was clogged by what you ask by the desiccant packs (that are used to absorb moisture) in the coolant reservoir that the manufacturer puts in to “ keep the coolant fresh” well it ruptured and sent little Crystal rocks through my coolant system, which clogged my radiator. I found them all in my coolant reservoir and all. Bought a new reservoir and radiator and problem solved. my question is why put those packs in the reservoir, knowing one day it may rupture and send crystals through your cooling system. I will upload pictures.

These are hard crystals (desiccant packs) the same ones the absorbs moisture (what it’s intended to do) so why put it in a moisture filled environment??? What’s the reasoning behind this ?