Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
GLK impressions ??

Originally Posted by jamking
The system uses the Gracenote database, and there are also manual editing capabilities which I haven`t explored as yet.
Apart from the HK sound system, what are your impressions of your GLK ???
Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C230 4MATIC;2002 C240
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Apart from the HK sound system, what are your impressions of your GLK ???
So far am very pleased. Have only had it 5 days. Weather has been severe, 2 major snowstorms and recurrent -15C temp. Drives like a champ on the snowy icy roads. Feel like I can go anywhere anytime, if necessary. This is 3rd MB so controls are familiar. 2 previous have been C-class as my wife is not tall, likes smaller car. Had Nissan Murano 4 years until last summer, she felt it was too large and did not drive it(also had some service issues). She likes the GLK so far, was out driving it around in the snow the other night, just like driving car.

The GLK handling feels very nimble, Parktronic useful in garage,20 inch spoke wheels are way cool(though am getting wheel and rim insurance just in case),
power rear hatch excellent when arms are full of groceries, 10 way memory seats very comfortable, tested golf bag with 45 inch driver-can lay bag sideways without removing driver from bag-good for golf vacations, Bluetooth works well with iPhone and LG Shine except for contacts transfer, dual sunroof is enormous-huge full moon the other night looked great-power shades should prove useful in summer, speedometer has screen which gives realtime readout of fuel consumption, interesting to see how it responds to accelerator-should help fuel economy.

Service interval is 20K. All controls are well designed-dualzone heat, rain sensing wipers, cruise control, autoheadlights, phone and stereo controls all operate so as to keep your hands on the wheel. Have not explored Linguatronic as yet. Center console COMAND knob seems standard on MB now-had it on last vehicle as well-easy to reach-gives complete control of NAV, stereo, phone with one controller- great once you get the hang of it.

Ride is quiet, smooth although feel bumps more than in E-class which I test drove last summer. Acceleration is effortless, plenty of pop for merging onto highway and passing. Test drove Acura RDX prior to getting GLK-much noisier 4 cylinder Turbo engine, bumpy ride-liked B-series Turbo better than RDX-but no 4WD.

GLK is at another level IMO, like the mating of C350 4matic and the ML, but with a new cool look. I really like it, am sure you will too.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by jamking
So far am very pleased.

Ride is quiet, smooth although feel bumps more than in E-class which I test drove last summer.
Thank you so much for your detailed impressions of your new GLK.

Interesting comment on the ride; likely the 20" wheels/tires contribute to "feeling the bumps". I currently drive an E Class, but found the GLK with the standard 19" wheels to have essentially a similar ride. I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality. Since I plan to take the GLK on to back country roads, I felt that the 19s make more sense. But you are sure right about the cool look of the 20s that are offered with the Canadian GLK. However, it's a good thing you aren't driving your GLK with 20s on Vancouver's pot-holed roads; they are in brutal shape after our recent snow storms and many freeze-thaw cycles.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Audi
I was looking for pictures of the GLK and I noticed that some of them did not have that aluminum trim around it's body. Does anybody know if it is standard or if it comes along with a package?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by materialism
I was looking for pictures of the GLK and I noticed that some of them did not have that aluminum trim around it's body. Does anybody know if it is standard or if it comes along with a package?
The standard North American version of the GLK includes the bright trim shown in photos on the current MBUSA website and on the Canadian site. Photos of GLKs without bright trim (except a two-bar grill) are of the Off-road version available in Europe, but not in NA. You might notice that many of the Euro Off-road GLKs have the optional aluminum running boards, otherwise, there are no bright trim pieces on the side of the vehicles.

To my eye, adding the running boards to a NA GLK is a bit too much; the bright running board competes with the aluminum trims at mid door level and along the base of the windows. In functional terms, the running boards force one to step on them when boarding or exiting the vehicle; if you don't do this, you risk soiling you pants against them. IMO, the step-up height really isn't high enough to justify running boards.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by materialism
in the US, its part of the "appearance" package, alumi body trim + 20" wheels.

shoot, sorry, alumi trim is default in us.

Last edited by webada; 01-16-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by webada
in the US, its part of the "appearance" package, alumi body trim + 20" wheels.
Actually, the US "Appearance Package" and Canadian "Sports Package" include only the bright aluminum roof rails and the 20" wheels/tires. The US gets the 7 spoke 20" wheels and Canada gets the 5 twin spoke 20" ones.
The other bright trim pieces are standard for NA GLKs.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 AM

As I had mentioned previously, I was told by the dealer that my GLK did not come with aluminum roof rails in the sport package because of a supplier problem in Germany. Has anybody else encountered this? I tried to negotiate a discount which they seemed to find humourous.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM

GLK350
I have a Canadian GLK arriving some time next week. When I sat down and placed the order I insisted upon a GLK with the Prem, NAV and Sport Packages. After they have my signature on a purchase agreement and a $2,000 deposit they tell me "Oh by the way there is a shortage of aluminum roof rails" and proceed to show me an internal MB dealer email that explains the creation of new option package called the "Sports Appearance Package" to address the shortage of aluminum roof rails.

The "sports appearance package" is a $800CDN option. That gets you the 20" rims and standard black rails.

The "sports package" is a $800CDN option. That gets you the 20" rims and aluminum roof rails.

So this how MB dealt with a shortage of aluminum rails... simply threw on some standard no-charge black rails, made a very subtle change to the option package name and proceeded to charge the customers the full premium price.

Wow, that works out well for MB doesn't it? Does the word greasy comes to mind? I was very disappointed and a bit mad and it ruined the whole purchase experience, but I didn't cancel my order. Black or aluminum rails I prefer the GLK over the X3.

Obviously the "Sports Appearance Package" should be priced lower than the "Sports Package". It isn't. MB could have offered to switch my black roof rails with aluminum ones when they become available at no charge. They didn't. And won't.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 PM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
I am getting all the same signals in the USA. This is a no-launch, launch that does not represent MB or their dealers in a good light. Setting prospect/customer expectation is very important. MB has blown it. That being said, they may just sell what they have delivered and still get most of those that were disappointed. Q5 launch may be similar and BMW date for much improved next gen X3 is moving out.

Dealers know I am a cash buyer, decided on GLK and do not suggest that I put a deposit down and order the exact, equiped car I want. I have done this before with MB and BMW with no problem.

I am in Calif and MBWestminster in Denver comes the closet to a dealer that has even said let's talk. The others hear what I want, a very jully loaded GLK with wood trim, and say they will get back to me, but don't. Why, not because they are lazy, but because good sales people sell what they have and then sell what they know they can deliver. Good sales people do not waste their time or yours.

It is clear from all our posts and the lack of a real media launch and PR program that this is an early, soft launch to beat Audi Q5 to market and make a Corp target date.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 PM

GLK350
Anyone thinking about getting an early production GLK should also have a close look at the exterior mirrors. Power-folding exterior mirrors are standard equipment. So far I've seen 2 GLKs on showroom floors and test drove a 3rd GLK and all 3 Canadian vehicles were missing this standard feature. The details on my GLK, arriving next week, show the power-folding mirrors are installed so the problem seems to have been addressed for new arrivals.

To those out there who didn't get the power-folding exterior mirrors... look on the bright side, at least you probably managed to get the aluminum roof rails before they ran out of those!

Last edited by glkowner; 01-16-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Bright Roof Rails

Originally Posted by glkowner
Obviously the "Sports Appearance Package" should be priced lower than the "Sports Package". It isn't. MB could have offered to switch my black roof rails with aluminum ones when they become available at no charge. They didn't. And won't.
Congrats on your GLK order. I saw a black one today @ the North Van dealer; the car looked very sharp.

I also ordered the Sports Package, but with black rails which I prefer. However, after considering the various factors like off-road use, ride quality and future cost of 20" tire replacements, I decided against the package. But, those 20" wheels sure look cool !

You should be able to order the bright rails through the parts department; in the US, these rails sell for $77 and are offered by MBUSA as an accessory item.

By the way, I understand that the GLK is selling extremely well across Canada, with all dealers seeking more product to satisfy demand. The waiting lists are building.

Please share with this forum your impressions of your GLK after you take delivery.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 AM

PCMCIA memory card

Got Sandisk 6 in 1 PCMCIA memory card from Henry's Camera.
Good service. Shipped promptly. 14.99$C +HST +shipping
Tried with 1 GB SD card. Able to navigate through folders, select random play.
No option to record to Music Register hard drive however.
Only record from CD.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by MtnMachine
I am getting all the same signals in the USA. This is a no-launch, launch that does not represent MB or their dealers in a good light. Setting prospect/customer expectation is very important. MB has blown it. That being said, they may just sell what they have delivered and still get most of those that were disappointed. Q5 launch may be similar and BMW date for much improved next gen X3 is moving out.

Dealers know I am a cash buyer, decided on GLK and do not suggest that I put a deposit down and order the exact, equiped car I want. I have done this before with MB and BMW with no problem.

I am in Calif and MBWestminster in Denver comes the closet to a dealer that has even said let's talk. The others hear what I want, a very jully loaded GLK with wood trim, and say they will get back to me, but don't. Why, not because they are lazy, but because good sales people sell what they have and then sell what they know they can deliver. Good sales people do not waste their time or yours.

It is clear from all our posts and the lack of a real media launch and PR program that this is an early, soft launch to beat Audi Q5 to market and make a Corp target date.
Buying a new MB model can be an exercise in frustration as I discovered when I bought my GL when they first came out.

However, I am not sure if US launch is a soft launch. I am seeing more and more commercials on TV for GLK.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
I have a question about 20inch wheels that comes with Sport Package. Are they staggered wheel?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
20" Sport Package Wheels

Originally Posted by e430
I have a question about 20inch wheels that comes with Sport Package. Are they staggered wheel?
According to MB Canada, the wheels for the Canadian package are not staggered, both front and rear are 8.5" in width with the same 235/45 x 20" tires.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 PM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
I understand that some people see the new GLK as a Forester look-alike. I understand the connection points, but do not agree.

I think the GLK may be the original Mustang of SUVs. The side body panels reversed exhibit almost the exact same lines as the original Mustang. Mustang era cars were designed to look like they were taking off into the blue yonder and today's cars are designed to look like they are have ground force, forward motion dynamics. The concept of a quality, smaller, more affordable, high performance platform, in difficult times is so similar to the original Mustang.

I think the GLK platform and design just may be the last hurah, SUV gen type Mustang.