GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

IPOD kit question

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Yeah the dension solution looks very similar to the UMI option.

Originally Posted by webada
that sounds like the universal media interface your dealer is quoting you...

that doesn't include 7" screen right?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM

GLK 350
it is retro fitting the UMI into the 5" screen. his exact quote was, "MB has recieved a lot of complaints regarding the ipod integration, and lack of upgradeable solutions so they now offer this retrofit solution"
the price has come down from $2080 for parts to $1685, i need it to be around $1K in order to get excited.

i think denison can get me a better integration than current crappy stock ipod kit, but genuine MB parts always have their benefits.

Attached is the description of what I am talking about for you folks without the MM package. It basically gets you better iPod integration and navi without the full MM cost.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by plasmapants; 04-03-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 PM

GLK 350 4matic
I like the UMI gives you live FM traffic report in GPS, something you don't even have in Nav package.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 PM

2010 GLK
Plasmapants and I are on the same page...

The only thing that saved me was the dealeship forgot to install the iPod interface kit on delivery.

I did some reading and the UMI kit is the way to go because you get iPod control via the control wheel MMI.

Question...can I use my iPhone 3G (bluetooth) and iPod functions from the iPhone 3G at the same time with UMI?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 PM

GLK 350
i think i found my best solution. i am debating ordering this kit, for about $900 and then paying an installer. i bet i could be done for less than 1K.

http://shop.mercedes-benzofmiltonkey...oducts_id=2044

this has really annoyed me beyond belief, for what is essentially a usb installation. not sure about both ipod & iphone functionality at the same time.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:19 AM

TBD (GLK350?)
Could MB make the iPod add-ons any more confusing? This is ridiculously complicated.

Here's my summary of oPod integration options for a GLK. I would appreciate any clarifications or correction to this list.
  • "AUX input" - $0: included in base model GLK in the glovebox. Works with any device that has a line-out or headphone jack. Doesn't power the iPod.

• "iPod Integration Kit" - $375: this is an older (?) system that adds an iPod connector in the glove box. This is a stand-alone option -- it doesn't require and isn't compatible with the UMI (Universal Media Interface) or MM (Multimedia) packages.
    • Allows control of the iPod through steering wheel controls and the instrument cluster. Does NOT display iPod info on the center console display screen or interface with the center console controller knob. Charges the iPod. Also (I think) known as "iPod Interface Kit".
    • MBUSA.com description: Located in the glove department and compatible with most iPod models, the Mercedes-Benz iPod Integration Kit puts the control at your fingertips while playing your music directly from your iPod or iPhone. Your iPod or iPhone will charge while you use your steering wheel buttons to navigate the iPod music menu, control the volume and view the artist and title information displayed in the vehicle's instrument cluster. Also available for vehicles without Sound System.

IPOD Kit /Teleaid/Illuminated Door Sills/Chrome Door Handle Inserts are not installed at the factory, therefore it will not be available for use in Europe. These options are installed at the Vehicle Preparation Center when vehicle arrives in the United States.

• "iPod/MP3 Media Interface" - $300: this is the newer (?) system that adds an iPod connector and AUX-in in the glove box. I think it allows you to add a USB interface cable, which is sold separately for $43 (see below). It is ONLY available as part of the UMI (Universal Media Interface) package, or as an add-on to the MM (Multimedia) package.
    • Allows control of iPod through the center console controller knob, display of iPod info on the center console display, and limited control through the steering wheel controls. Charges iPod.
    • MBUSA.com Description: Bring your music wherever you drive, thanks to the smooth integration of your iPod into the audio system of your vehicle. With the Multimedia Interface and cable, you can choose any song, artist, or playlist from your iPod or MP3 player via the GLK's central controller and center display. Better yet, your iPod also charges while it's playing. Only available with the Multimedia package.

• "Media Interface USB Cable" - $43.
    • I think this is only used with the iPod/MP3 Media Interface, to add a USB jack to it.
    • MBUSA.com Description: The Media Interface allows you to connect your audio devices to the interface located in the vehicle's glovebox. The Media Interface comes standard with two cables, an iPod connector and a universal AUX input connector. A non iPod USB cable is available at your Mercedes-Benz dealer, which will connect select USB sticks or media players with a USB port.

• "Universal Media Interface" - $1,500: this is a new system that INCLUDES the iPod/MP3 Media Interface plus extra features: navigation through the standard 5" center console display screen, live traffic data, and A2DP Bluetooth for streaming stereo music from a phone to the car speakers.
    • MBUSA.com description: The Universal Media Interface (UMI) from Mercedes-Benz allows the Audio 20 CD in the new GLK-Class to be upgraded to an innovative and multifunctional navigation and entertainment center. In addition to the advantages of 3D GPS map navigation, and included lifetime traffic, the Universal Media Interface allows the user to play back their favorite songs from a range of portable devices via the audio interface in the glove compartment. A whole range of sources - one solution: the UMI gets your music moving. It is operated using the controller in the center console.

• "Multimedia Package" a.k.a. "MM" - $3,350: adds lots of stuff including navigation and upgraded stereo (a.k.a. "COMAND", I think -- I am losing track of all the acronyms). It DOES NOT include iPod integration, although it supports it IF you buy a separate $300 "iPod/MP3 Media Interface".
    • MBUSA.com says this includes:
      - Hard-drive navigation system
      - harman/kardon Logic 7
      - in-dash 6-disc CD changer
      - Enhanced voice control
      - Rear view camera
      - 7-inch display
      - 6Gb hard drive with Music Register
      - Gracenote Media Database
Questions/comments:
  • If you add the "iPod Integration Kit", do you lose the AUX-in jack?
  • There's a separate "PCMCIA Multi-Card Adapter" for $102. Does this work with all GLKs, or does it require the MM or UMI packages?
    • MBUSA.com description: Listen comfortably to your music with the PCMCIA-Adapter of your COMAND system. The Plug & Play system in the COMAND immediately recognizes your PCMCIA-Multi Card Reader. A Memory Card (sold separately) is required to utilize the PCMCIA Multi-Card Reader. MP3-, WMA-, and ACC-Files are supported.
  • Per this description of a UMI retrofit package, it seems that there's a separate iPhone cradle that can be integrated with UMI. I saw another forum thread which indicated that the iPhone 3G, unlike the original iPhone doesn't fit in this cradle. I think I also read that the iPhone 3G doesn't charge off a standard iPod connector (like the ones MB adds to your car), because Apple changed the power pins - although there may be yet another adapter to deal with this.
  • Some sources say that UMI includes an SD card reader. Is this true?

I hope that you'll correct my errors in this. Even more, I hope MB figures out how to offer iPod integration without making my head explode trying to understand their marketing gibberish.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 AM

GLK 350
I think you got it nailed.

For me, the iPod kit (which sucks) replaced the AUX jack in the glove box.

PCMCIA card is only for the COMAND system or MM package. My audio 20 doesn't have it.

I believe the iPhone cradle plugs into the UMI interface via a lead cord. This is one other reason the UMI exists, i think you can just swap out a cable when the next new goodie comes out.

It looks like the UMI actually has a front mounted SD slot.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 AM

528i, GLK
I consider UMI to be the updated version of the original Comand design. Comand is out dated as well as the ipod kit (evidence of its Firewire/USB charging)

We should start seeing all the feature in UMI in next gen Comand
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 AM

GLK 350
Looks like Euro dealers are beginning to discount the install...Hopefully this comes to us as well. This is about a grand cheaper than what I have recently been quoted.

http://www.sytner.co.uk/mercedes-ben...-benz-umi.aspx
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM

TBD (GLK350?)
Originally Posted by plasmapants
For me, the iPod kit (which sucks) replaced the AUX jack in the glove box.
Why does the iPod kit suck?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM

2010 GLK
The iPod kit is OK and with the Scosche passport the iPod / iPhone 3G will charge.

- With the iPod interface kit you control the iPod / iPhone through the steering wheel buttons and view playing song via the instrument cluster NOT the MMI screen interface.
- The UMI allows iPod/ iPhone control via the MMI and centre turn knob.
- If you have an iPhone 3G the new Apple software 3.0 release (due in summer 2009) will allow bluetooth song streaming [Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)]...but you need the UMI kit...NOT the iPod interface kit.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/04/v...bluetooth.html

http://www.benzblogger.com/2008/11/u...-2010-glk.html

Last edited by Schutzen; 04-09-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM

GLK 350
My reason for saying it sucks, (which is only my opinion) For a 40K + car, to me at least, MB should be able to offer a solution that is more elegant and actually integrated into the audio system. the way i see it, the "iPod integration" is simply a hack. marketing vs. functionality for sure. i find it rather dangerous to try and control on the instrument cluster, which probably will limit how much i acutally use it. i am seriously considering the UMI, which means i wasted $300+ on this option.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 AM

2010 GLK
OK I just got the UMI kit installed.

With a brief run through this evening I must say it is great.
Best news was that my iPhone 3G charged while plugged in and performed flawlessly between iPod music and iPhone cellular phone.
Control is via the central turn knob and centre MMI screen 5" only.
Includes Navigation with voice.
Let me know if you want details....
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Schutzen

Best news was that my iPhone 3G charged while plugged in and performed flawlessly between iPod music and iPhone cellular phone.
Does it read out the street names? as supposed to "turn left, turn right..." in COMAND
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 AM

2010 GLK
I will test it out...I am thinking the "turn left, turn right in 40 metres" rings a bell.

I will leave the screen on NAV...I got carried away with the iPod functions tonight.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 AM

GLK 350
More details please, how much did it set you back? I am on the verge of ordering from EU dealers for about $900 USD, then finding a way to get it into my vehicle. I just can't tolerate the factory iPod kit anymore. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
How well does the FREE LIVE traffic feature works in UMI?

I have a friend that has a portable GPS with this feature and I would like to get a UMI if its good as current generation GPS, honestly the standard(OEM) NAV should include this feature from the factory.

Also, did you get a change to use a A2DP Bluetooth functionality? With this technology, drivers can stream music wirelessly from the MP3 memory of a mobile phone equipped with Bluetooth technology straight to the vehicle's audio system - even while the phone remains in the his or her pocket.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by e430
honestly the standard(OEM) NAV should include this feature from the factory.
Totally agree and hoping MB will have future software upgrades to fix this.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by seraphsf
Could MB make the iPod add-ons any more confusing? This is ridiculously complicated.

Here's my summary of oPod integration options for a GLK. I would appreciate any clarifications or correction to this list.
Nicely put. It took me a couple of weeks to fully understand this.
I think with some answers we got for your question, someone should keep your thread in top sticker.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 PM

2010 GLK
UMI kit

Originally Posted by plasmapants
More details please, how much did it set you back? I am on the verge of ordering from EU dealers for about $900 USD, then finding a way to get it into my vehicle. I just can't tolerate the factory iPod kit anymore. Thanks!
The total cost was $1535 CAD installed at the dealer ($1234 USD).
I was told the installation labor time is 3-hours.
I got a break (told I got the UMI at cost) because the dealer neglected to install the iPod interface kit on delivery.
After reading these forums I upgraded to the UMI.

Last edited by Schutzen; 04-22-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM

2010 GLK
UMI kit

I have a friend that has a portable GPS with this feature and I would like to get a UMI if its good as current generation GPS, honestly the standard(OEM) NAV should include this feature from the factory.

I activated the 'Traffic' feature...unfortunately in Southwestern Ontario (draw a line between Detroit and Buffalo) there are no traffic broadcasts.
I will be in Toronto next week so, I can try it out in the 'big city'.

Also, did you get a change to use a A2DP Bluetooth functionality? With this technology, drivers can stream music wirelessly from the MP3 memory of a mobile phone equipped with Bluetooth technology straight to the vehicle's audio system - even while the phone remains in the his or her pocket.

I have an iPhone 3G and is does not support A2DP (iPhone software upgrade this summer to provide A2DP) http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/04/ip...a_venza-2.html

BUT...my friend has a Sony Ericsson cellular W580i with bluetooth A2DP...I will give it a try.

Last edited by Schutzen; 04-22-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM

2010 GLK
UMI Kit

Originally Posted by webada
Does it read out the street names? as supposed to "turn left, turn right..." in COMAND
No, the UMI Navigation does not read out street names.

"turn left in 40 metres"
"Arriving at desination on right in 14 metres"

Simultaneous NAV arrow displayed in the instrument cluster.

Pick the NAV voice English, Deutsch, Italian...etc.

Has POI (points of interest) like gas, food, coffee, hotels etc.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:47 AM

GLK 350
No, the UMI Navigation does not read out street names.

"turn left in 40 metres"
"Arriving at desination on right in 14 metres"

Simultaneous NAV arrow displayed in the instrument cluster.

Pick the NAV voice English, Deutsch, Italian...etc.

Has POI (points of interest) like gas, food, coffee, hotels etc.
Maybe it will help for those that are interested if you can post a quick video with features.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 AM

2010 GLK
UMI kit

Originally Posted by Baby G
Maybe it will help for those that are interested if you can post a quick video with features.
Sure, I can do that.

I am planning on purchasing a HD camcorder.

A weekend project...I am ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
The total cost was $1535 CAD installed at the dealer ($1234 USD).
I was told the installation labor time is 3-hours.
I got a break (told I got the UMI at cost) because the dealer neglected to install the iPod interface kit on delivery.
After reading these forums I upgraded to the UMI.
$1,234...that's a great price...guess your dealership didn't charge you for labor and sold you the UMI at close to cost price...
My C300 is at dealer now getting UMI installed and I have to pay $1,900 for the whole thing..
The cheapest price I find for the UMI kit shipped to North America is about $1,000 from Command Online..
You sure got a great deal...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: IPOD kit question