GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK vs Q5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MtnMachine
I have a GLK on order and cannot wait so my bias is clear, but I saw a Q5 today local Audi/Porsche dealer and it looks really outstanding inside and out. One I saw was black, with upgraded Audi wheels, biXenon headlights plus leds front and back, leather, Premium pak, heated seats, super Nav system, paddle shifters, loaded for $45k.

The GLK is and looks larger than the GLK, to my eye, longer and lower profile anyway, looks much better than Q7 looks, looks much better than pictures just like GLK and the interior materials and some features are outstanding. Control buttons, knobs seem much better than four years ago. Sun roof is bigger than GLK and has a solid electronic shade. Rear seats have a tilt back position.

I also saw a Q5 in white, base wheels seen in early press (why do they do that?) and the combo looked duller than plain oatmeal.

The Q5 definitely has a Sedan seating position, knees high. I did not have time to test drive the car, but I think it a very, very competitive offering to the GLK. BMWx3 sucks compared to GLK and Q5 in every way.

People not familiar with Audi will be impressed and I bet it may have better general market appeal than GLK. People like my wife that had an Audi A6 Quatro Wagon fully loaded and after three years was running out of gas when the gas gauge said half full because Audi could NOT solve the problem and was scraping the nose of car in every dip or driveway refuses to go see the car no matter how much she would like the look, interior, Nav, sound system etc.

GLK vs Q5, game on.
Come again?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
Ooooops, meant to say Q5 is and looks larger than GLK. Thanks

In a previous post, I said the Q5 LEDs looked kind of funky and not quite right. True in pictures, but WRONG in real life. The Q5 LEDs, front and back look great.

For me, my GLK is ordered, but the Q5 will provide real sales competition for GLK.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Very different looks, inside and out. I think aesthetics will often be the deciding factor. The Q5s at NAIAS had impressive interiors.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 PM

MY05 Jeep Liberty
I can't believe the Q5 doesn't even have a rear seat DVD player. Quite disappointing, considering it costs more than the GLK up here in Canada.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 AM

993 Twin Turbo
We have drive both and are stuck in decision mode. Audi is offering leases at .53%, amazing! Wish MB would get aggressive like Audi in their financing.

We are truly stuck in the middle between the two.

Overall, it appears the Q5 has more room and a better built interior. The GLK is just hard to get in and out of. B and C pillars get in the way.

Not sure what to do.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 AM

528i, GLK
the only reason i shy away from audi (didn't even look) is the reliability. I've friends with 08 A6, they spend more time in the shop than driving.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I just spent the last two days wrestling with this decision. The local dealer told me that the Q5 could not be found with the 19 wheel option on a premium plus model and I was not about to pony up another $4,000 for the prestige. Why they don't ship at least a percentage of the cars with this $800 option is beyond me. Also the 1.9% is a great deal that equates to nearly a $4,000 discount. At the end of the day another MB is heading to the garage.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:39 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by hhughes1
I just spent the last two days wrestling with this decision. The local dealer told me that the Q5 could not be found with the 19 wheel option on a premium plus model and I was not about to pony up another $4,000 for the prestige. Why they don't ship at least a percentage of the cars with this $800 option is beyond me. Also the 1.9% is a great deal that equates to nearly a $4,000 discount. At the end of the day another MB is heading to the garage.
My wife and I both had our leases due, and she loved the Q5 and I loved the GLK. We had to move up to the 19's, but definitely worth it. Bigger rims just look a lot better... those are the 20's on the GLK.
Attached Thumbnails GLK vs Q5?-dsc_5834.jpg   GLK vs Q5?-dsc_5836.jpg   GLK vs Q5?-dsc_5837.jpg   GLK vs Q5?-dsc_5838.jpg   GLK vs Q5?-dsc_5839.jpg  

GLK vs Q5?-dsc_5840.jpg  
Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by grifter99
My wife and I both had our leases due, and she loved the Q5 and I loved the GLK. We had to move up to the 19's, but definitely worth it. Bigger rims just look a lot better... those are the 20's on the GLK.
Must be nice eh... Congrats again, which dealership did you buy yours from??
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
I luuv those 20's on the GLK !!!! Best looking wheels out there for it however correct me if im wrong but i don't think the US models have these uughhhhhh ??????
Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by Baby G
Must be nice eh... Congrats again, which dealership did you buy yours from??
Got the Audi from Audi of Mississauga, and GLK from MB Toronto dealership in Mississauga (they were right beside each other). We picked them up the same week. It was so exciting!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
I luuv those 20's on the GLK !!!! Best looking wheels out there for it however correct me if im wrong but i don't think the US models have these uughhhhhh ??????
Not sure if they are available in the US. They are the one and only option on the Sports package up here. The package also used to have the alum roof rails, but are no longer available.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 AM

528i, GLK
nope, we don't get those awesome 20" wheels...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
They are shown in the back of the US book as a stand alone option
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C320CDI
i would go for the GLK, after testing quite some time the GLK both on road and offroad it's a no brainer to get the Q5.

the GLK is o nthe C 204 platform and is one of the most tought cars ever, it took 5 years to complete the C -klasse .
Old 03-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
Congrats!

How do they compare inside and out? Quality Ride, etc?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:49 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Would you think its MB forum and you would see more pro GLK threads here. I am wondering if Audi forums have more pro Q5 threads.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
Congrats!

How do they compare inside and out? Quality Ride, etc?
I love the exterior of the GLK myself. Although my wife likes the smoother curves of the Q5, so i think it's a tie.

From an interior quality perspective, the Q5 wins hands down. Everything seems and feels much more solid... higher quality of build/materials. The interior feel of the car definitely goes to Audi. The GLK looks good too. The angular interior suits the exterior styling very well, but there are some areas where it does feel a bit plasticky. Perhaps getting the wood trim will solve this... don't know.

User friendliness shows the GLK as the winner. Buttons, scroll wheel, layout, is just right in the GLK. In the Q5, i'm still getting used to the MMI which can be a puzzle some times. My wife finds solving the Q5 MMi as a challenge, so she doesn't mind it at all. it's all a part of the playing with her new car. I on the other hand, love the fact that the MB interface is so logical. Everything is where is should be, and even though i didn't read the manual, logic dictates how things should work, and miraculously, it does.

The drive: Audi has very heavy steering compared to the GLK. The steering on the GLK is very light and a small amount of pressure can turn the wheel very easily. I find the handling to be very subjective, as some like lite steering, while others love a heavy wheel. The Q5 feels more like a German engineered car, much like my previous 330i. The GLK rides very smoothly compared to the Q5 which is a surprise since, the GLK has 20's compared to the 19's on the Audi. The active suspension probably has something to do with it, but will need more time with each car to find out. Also, you definitely feel more torque on the GLK, whereas the Q5 doesn't have as quick a step.

Fuel economy: goes to the Q5 i must say. We've driven the Q5 for approx 600km before we needed to refill (mostly, barely no hwy). I'm at half a tank on the GLK and have only driven 225 km (mostly city, no hwy).

Hope this helps in the comparisons.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM

528i, GLK
I had coworker where he spent his first 3 months of taking a brand new A6 in shops, front dash rattles and they couldn't fix it right.... it would rattle again soon after "fixing"

I think audi is good for leasing, not owning. You don't not want to be stuck with a car like that when the warranty expires...

not that i'm saying MB has a good track record. but after seeing what they have done with w204, i'm a believer in their reaffrimation on quality and dependability.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
What about safety features in GLK vs Q5?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by yualfred
Would you think its MB forum and you would see more pro GLK threads here. I am wondering if Audi forums have more pro Q5 threads.
that's a given yeh? pop over to w204 forum and do a 328 vs c300 vs A4

and see who wins?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Mercedes A-Class (W169)
Originally Posted by oknish
What about safety features in GLK vs Q5?
I think the Q5 wins here, they have more active safety features like blind spot assis and lane departure assist that GLK doesn't have. MB puts these feature on the new E-Class.

For passive safety ...I don't know we haven't seen EuroNCAP results from these. I was also dissaponted of the NECKPRO feature (whiplash protection) of the MB, when tested on the M-Class it didn't score very high results where for example Volvo XC60 was the best ranking. Also Volvo XC60 has much more active safety features than the GLK.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 PM

2012 C350 2DR Coupe
I'm also considering both the GLK and the Q5 - I just heard from my local Audi dealer today that the Q5 is now on back order and the wait time on a Q5 from the factory could be up to 6 months!!! My lease is up in mid-July so I have a little bit of breathing room - but this might be a deal killer for me. Need to get those test drives in though...
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 PM

528i, GLK
I'm sure smart auto company will be drastically cutting down production to minimize overstock inventories....
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM

'06 cayenne turbo
How do they compare in off-road capabilities. And by off-road I don't really mean traversing trails, but things like performance in snow and other wintry conditions?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK vs Q5?