GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK vs Q5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
GLK vs Q5?

What do you guys think of the new Q5 vs the GLK? Price is pretty competative, $42k gives you pretty much everything that the GLK has to offer without the navi (Premium plus).
This includes leather seating as well and LED/Xenon lighting as well, except for 20" wheel.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
I like the GLK's SUV'ish look and masculine, square angles, I am beginning to tire of the swoopy, rounded, mini-vanish looks of the Audi Q5 and most of the small Japanese SUV's.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 AM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
I like the Audi Q5 inside and out better than the Acura's or any other egg shaped Japanese crossovers or small SUVs. I like the looks of the Q5 inside and out better than the BMW X3, BUT

I like the look and feel of the GLK more. I like the angular SUV look vs jacked up car look. Looks are so much a matter of personal likes. My wife does not want another Audi, but she likes the look of the Q5 more. The GLK will be my car and my choice.

Having owned a V6, quattro wagon for my wife, at the same time we owned a V6 BMW, the Audi never came close to the BMW in driving feel, fun to drive and reliability. Audi was soft and not the same quality feel. Audi was in shop all the time for problems that never got completely resolved. Audi interior was its best quality and even there, the bits did not have the same feel. Having owned MBs, the Audi did not compare in the same way.

From what I have read about the Q5 and GLK, it appears that MB has put alot more testing and unique engineering integration in the GLK than Audi has done with Q5.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Me and wife were driving to dinner last night and saw a white GLK, on the road, with LED taillights. We both immediately recognized it even though we were a bit distant from it. Seeing it in motion just confirmed that the aesthetics of GLK are very appealing, at least to us. The rounded top curves of Q5 are just not that appealing.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Originally Posted by MtnMachine
I like the Audi Q5 inside and out better than the Acura's or any other egg shaped Japanese crossovers or small SUVs. I like the looks of the Q5 inside and out better than the BMW X3, BUT
Originally Posted by MtnMachine

I like the look and feel of the GLK more. I like the angular SUV look vs jacked up car look.
That is a MUCH better description, and I too like the Audi the best of the other small SUV's.

"Egg shaped and jacked up car"...those are the looks I don't like in a SUV and could not quite spell it out....Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Q5 styling

Originally Posted by webada
What do you guys think of the new Q5 vs the GLK?
Well, if you like the hideous front end of the Q7, I guess you will also like the Q5. IMO, they both have incredibly ugly front ends.

The rear end of the Q5 looks very similar to the Acura RDX, both vehicles having very vulnerable hatches. Like the RDX, the Audi's hatch extends into the bumper, making for a potentially very expensive repair job. There is also no protection plate to protect the rear bumper ledge from cargo damage.

In addition, the Q5 has no protective door molding as seen on the GLK.

There are so many engineering details that define a MB product and separate it from competitors like Audi.

Last edited by DerekACS; 02-23-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 AM

Sonderklasse
I like everything about the Q5 except the front line. The S-line treatment would help but still looks too much of an overstretched A3. The side profile and back looks sleek though. Overall, looks-wise I have to give it to the GLK, especially with 19" standard and 20" with sport pkg. Q5 seems to come with smaller size std wheels.

However, the Q5 interior is typical of an Audi, and is pretty much taken out of the new A4/A5s which I have direct experience with. The 3rd generation MMI with 3D graphical maps is amazing. Second row seats are said to recline whereas such is not the case with the GLK. Also, Q5 might offer more cargo space with 2nd row up and you can put the seats down directly from the cargo area.

Price-wise I think the GLK is more value for money (Q5 becomes more expensive if you add the S-line pkg).

Either way, I'll be closely evaluating these two at my local dealerships soon! For now I'm leaning towards the GLK (and this coming from someone who has always had a thing for Audis, and enjoys driving them).
Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 AM

GLK 350 4matic
I was deciding between the Q5 and GLK as well.
The exterior styling of the GLK is appealing even in the base models. IMO the Q5 looks rather bland without the S-line package. However, once you add that package the MSRP goes into high 40's - low 50's, negating the "benefit" of standard leather seating.
Interior wise the Q5 seems more luxurious, but I have come to really like the aluminum/ dark interior trim of my GLK and feel that it suits the modern styling.
I haven't test driven the q5, but on paper the performance numbers are similar. Some have commented that the handling of the Q5 is better, but having come from a sedan w/sports suspension I find the GLK is a nice balance between comfort and performance.
Size wise the Q5 has a slight edge on paper, but being 6'0 I still find the rear seat of the GLK comfortable while having the drivers seat adjusted to my liking.
Ultimately, I found the GLK to be the perfect package of luxury, performance, and value. However, if the non S-line Q5 appeals to you it's certainly not a bad choice.

GLK 350 4matic: Blk/BLK, P1, Appearance, Multimedia, Lighting, Running Boards, IPOD, Rear seat wiring.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Audi has promoted their strategy to produce a slightly bigger "mid-dize" SUV than MB or BMW, BUT the lower greenhouse (roof line) and curve down back wipe out the difference in size for rear head room and rear cargo. Check the specs. I have not been able to determine if the Q5 fits golf bag with drivers in bag, but who cares.

In the GLK, front and back seats have a high off floor, knees low, seating geometry, much like our Range Rover and I like that. Q5 has more of a sport wagon, low slung, knees high seating geometry that I find less comfortale, especially for adults in rear seat. GLK does give up most of its higher greenhouse head room advantage by having the higher seating position, but I think it is better trade off for rear passengers.

Q5 without S-line is very bland. something about the Q5 LEDs are funky in a not so good way. The new A5 LEDs got it right. What haapened to the Q5?

Personally, I have given Audi a try in the 80s, 90s and 2002, only to have the same reliability and mushy feel experience. My first two Audis were a way to buy German vs USA 80s junk, at a price I could afford. Price advantage has just about disappeard. Audi may have reached the MB/BMW price point, but they have not reached the MB/BMW engineering value and feel. You do not see old Audi's, even in sunny California. I never see any prized, restored old Audi's, but I do see some great old MBs and BMWs on the road.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM

GLK 350
I was comparing the Q5 to the GLK as well prior to my purchase. I found the Q5 similar to other models in their egg shaped designs, and liked the edgy lines bringing a new look to the GLK. I agree with MtnMachine in the seating design which I prefer in the GLK. Power base hp 268 for GLK vs 270 for Q5, but the GLK had more trq. I also liked the GLK having slightly more trq, and liked the seven speed transmission over the 6spd in the Audi.

I wanted to give Audi a chance, but in the end the GLK was just something which felt right, and the decision was made. In the end, I just saw both vehicles again at the autoshow in Toronto this past weekend, and I made the call for my taste by going with the GLK.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM

GLK 4Matic
I think the Audi has very appealing looks overall. I'm not wild about the grill but it could grow on me after a while. Audi's marketing videos on the site attempt to separate it from the RX. I think it looks very similar to the RX with a little Infiniti thrown in. Audi won't get me to come into their showrooms with this vehicle on the looks alone. The GLK did it for me.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM

528i, GLK
If you've watch the videos from GLK's minisite, the exterior designer actually mentioned few of the original GLK models' style were more organic (egg shape) but quickly realized they look too international (lexus, acura) I guess its hard to shape a car aerodynamically without looking too similar (think Honda's Insight vs Toyota's Prius)

Yes, I do agree there's probably more engineering in GLK than the Q5. Both cars looked very good. Very hard to decide.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Having driven both, I cant make up my mind, they each have their merits. The Q5 seems more roomier on the inside, but looks a bit bulky on the outside. The MB is quieter and smoother but does not look as sporty as the Q5. The Q5 Tech is a bit more leading edge; with 3D Nav, 3rd Gen MMI and better fuel economy which I guess in this class is not an issue but to me it is. I am waiting for the March pricing numbers from Audi, they are being out maneuvered by MB in both price and residual values. The MB will be a few months to order.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM

GLK 4Matic
Leslielp, if more room is a must and the Audi has noticeably more, lean more towards the Q5. I still haven't seen a Q5, let alone drive one so I can't say myself. I can tell you my wife complains of the smaller cargo area and rear seat room in the GLK. Small complaints since our family will be downsizing a little when daughter goes off to college in the near future.

Oh, I drive the GLK like an old laday but I still only get 21 mpg around town. I haven't looked at the ratings for the Q5 but if it is noticeably better, there's another reason to lean hard for the Audi.

Last edited by ftttubrgcm; 03-02-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Sonderklasse
Finally had time to test drive both the GLK and the Q5 one after the other.

GLK pros:
- More comfy overall seating (front and back)
- Quieter inside even when under heavy throttle
- Better value for money (comes in a few grand cheaper than similar spec Q5)
- Personally, I think it looks better while with the Q5 I'd need to add the S-line.

GLK cons:
- Cargo space worse than Q5 (which was already lackluster); GLK trunk floor was also higher
- Can't release rear seats from trunk area while you could with Q5
- Handling is not as sharp as Q5 (even though based on the W204, steering feel is more numb much like the W203; much more roll/dive/squat than Q5)

Q5 pros:
- Handles much better and feels faster/nimbler
- Rear seat can slide forward a few inches
- Seat height is more car-like (can be a con to some)
- Better quality interior / 3G MMI with 3D nav is much nicer than MB's

Q5 cons:
- Small cargo space
- Rear seat, while reclineable, is still too upright
- Overall feels less roomy vs GLK

Conclusion: both very good cars means decision is hard. I think it boils down to what you seek more: comfort (GLK) or dynamics (Q5). Also, if price matters, GLK is definitely the better deal.

However, dealership experience might also matter. While having patronized this MB dealer before, they are generally more stuck-up (esp being a corporate dealership). I got laughed at for asking discount on a hot-selling new release. Apparently, I "should not believe what I read online" (when I mentioned east coast Canadians getting 1-2k off; or that Keyless-Go is said to be available in June).

My local Audi dealer, with whom I have fairly good relationship, is friendlier and would offer 'courtesy' $1k discount to a returning customer. Not that these discounts make the difference, but just noting that the general attitude and service of your local dealership may affect your decision when choosing between a GLK or Q5.

Last but not least, those that do not need an SUV, C-Class or A4 could be a better buy. Yes you can't fit tall cargo items but you could definitely fit more suitcases without pulling seat down. Golf bags could definitely fit better (for those who play golf). The rear seats in those sedans are just fine, and definitely more fun to drive.

Last edited by WingFlex; 03-02-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 AM

GLK 4Matic
I'm sorry to continue to butt in here but....as neato as Audis are, they don't have classic styling, keeping you interested for the long run. Like Asian vehicles, their styling gets old after a short time. I like how MB's and BMW's maintain my interest, even after 5 or more years down the road. My strong belief is to get what you are happy with, even if it is an AMC Matador, Pacer, Gremlin, or an Audi Q5.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Great review wingflex.
nice to see car dynammics, not just cosmetics evaluated.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM

I have to say that after seeing a GLK on the road its does look much more butch than the Q5. Right now Audi is giving away the Audi Care for free and you get an auto $1689 discount (Can$) but I have been quoted over $3700 discount on pre loaded versions, thats basically the HK stereo and 19.5" Wheels for free. Hopefully the March numbers on residual value will be better, I am told they come out tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Just had a call from my Audi dealer. New price and lease numbers will be re-issued on Friday March 6. "they will be very aggressive" I just want them to match the MB residual of 60% and give some more price breaks on those optional packages :-)
Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Sonderklasse
Originally Posted by Leslielp
Just had a call from my Audi dealer. New price and lease numbers will be re-issued on Friday March 6. "they will be very aggressive" I just want them to match the MB residual of 60% and give some more price breaks on those optional packages :-)
Wow, keep us posted! Left my Audi salesperson a message pertaining to this, but I doubt they (dealers) are as up-to-date with incentives here (BC). Personally, I'm pretty set on the GLK (found one 4.1 build, ETA mid-to-end of May) but still curious to know what Audi is doing with the Q5.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM

GLK 4Matic
If the Audi has telescoping sun visors, get it then. My only valid complaint with the GLK is that it doesn't have the telescoping sun visors. Our Lexus RX's had them and even my company car, a 2007 Ford Crown Victoria, has them.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Well the news from Audi is dissapointing. They are basically keeping the price the same but waving the 1st payment and security deposit. Now I dont have any excuse not to get the GLK, but I want one :-)
Old 03-06-2009, 01:00 PM

GLK 4Matic
Leslielp, I can honestly say that my wife loves here GLK. It is not pefectly designed but it was the vehicle we wanted. While not being difficult to do, getting into the back seat almost always results in shoe contact with the area around the door frame. Also, I put the front passenger seat in a comfortable position and then sat in the seat behind. I'm 6' and my knees, when together,were cramped against the back of the seat but were free, sitting with my legs relaxed. Our RX had more cargo area, a larger back seat, better fuel mileage, and last but not least............telescoping sun visors. I still don't know about that Audi gril.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM

I finally saw a Q5 on the road yesterday. I must say it looks very nice, a shrunken Q7 but better. Whereas the Q7 looks overly stretched to begin with. So I was googling comparison & pricing info between it and the GLK. (Which is how I found this thread too.) If edmunds.com is correct. In order to get HID, you have to get the $4,300 premium pack or the $11,000 prestige pack! In order to get NAV ($3,000), you have to get the premium pack or the prestige pack will include it. With a base MSRP of $37k and the 2 options I personally like plus few other options, this thing can easily top $50k!!!

I think I will go find that other thread to see when will we get the diesel GLK. I read it somewhere that 2.0 or 2.2 4 cylinder will get 35+ mpg and should start less than the GLK350. Wishful thinking it will start less than $30k and HID & NAV, I will be happily putting around in mid $30s
Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 PM

I have a GLK on order and cannot wait so my bias is clear, but I saw a Q5 today local Audi/Porsche dealer and it looks really outstanding inside and out. One I saw was black, with upgraded Audi wheels, biXenon headlights plus leds front and back, leather, Premium pak, heated seats, super Nav system, paddle shifters, loaded for $45k.

The "Q5" is and looks larger than the GLK, to my eye, longer and lower profile anyway, looks much better than Q7 looks, looks much better than pictures just like GLK and the interior materials and some features are outstanding. Control buttons, knobs seem much better than four years ago. Sun roof is bigger than GLK and has a solid electronic shade. Rear seats have a tilt back position.

I also saw a Q5 in white, base wheels seen in early press (why do they do that?) and the combo looked duller than plain oatmeal.

The Q5 definitely has a Sedan seating position, knees high. I did not have time to test drive the car, but I think it a very, very competitive offering to the GLK. BMWx3 sucks compared to GLK and Q5 in every way.

People not familiar with Audi will be impressed and I bet it may have better general market appeal than GLK. People like my wife that had an Audi A6 Quatro Wagon fully loaded and after three years was running out of gas when the gas gauge said half full because Audi could NOT solve the problem and was scraping the nose of car in every dip or driveway refuses to go see the car no matter how much she would like the look, interior, Nav, sound system etc.

GLK vs Q5, game on.

Last edited by MtnMachine; 03-07-2009 at 05:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK vs Q5?