GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK vs Q5?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by webada
the only reason i shy away from audi (didn't even look) is the reliability. I've friends with 08 A6, they spend more time in the shop than driving.
I had an 06 S4 that was no trouble at all, a great car. Other friends with A3s and A8s have had no complaints either. Audi make a great product so it sounds like your friend got very unlucky.

For wintry conditions both will do equally okay providing you stay away from extra wide rubber, that's when problem in adverse conditions emerge. And remember, when cornering in snow keep the gas pedal depressed slightly as you gain no benefit from AWD when coasting/letting off. Just don;t push it down too hard.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
I had an 06 S4 that was no trouble at all, a great car. Other friends with A3s and A8s have had no complaints either. Audi make a great product so it sounds like your friend got very unlucky.

For wintry conditions both will do equally okay providing you stay away from extra wide rubber, that's when problem in adverse conditions emerge. And remember, when cornering in snow keep the gas pedal depressed slightly as you gain no benefit from AWD when coasting/letting off. Just don;t push it down too hard.
2nd...sounds like he may have gotten a lemon or a car built before the weekend I've got 116,000 miles on my '05 A4 and its been very reliable, just regular maintenance.

Never have been stuck in the Winter time with Quattro. I've run into a few situations where the snow was as high as the car's ground clearance but it keeps on moving with ease. As Carl mentioned, for snow you'll want narrower tires.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Challenger, 95 Civic Turbo, 09 Kawasaki
Originally Posted by MtnMachine
I have a GLK on order and cannot wait so my bias is clear, but I saw a Q5 today local Audi/Porsche dealer and it looks really outstanding inside and out. One I saw was black, with upgraded Audi wheels, biXenon headlights plus leds front and back, leather, Premium pak, heated seats, super Nav system, paddle shifters, loaded for $45k.

The "Q5" is and looks larger than the GLK, to my eye, longer and lower profile anyway, looks much better than Q7 looks, looks much better than pictures just like GLK and the interior materials and some features are outstanding. Control buttons, knobs seem much better than four years ago. Sun roof is bigger than GLK and has a solid electronic shade. Rear seats have a tilt back position.

I also saw a Q5 in white, base wheels seen in early press (why do they do that?) and the combo looked duller than plain oatmeal.

The Q5 definitely has a Sedan seating position, knees high. I did not have time to test drive the car, but I think it a very, very competitive offering to the GLK. BMWx3 sucks compared to GLK and Q5 in every way.

People not familiar with Audi will be impressed and I bet it may have better general market appeal than GLK. People like my wife that had an Audi A6 Quatro Wagon fully loaded and after three years was running out of gas when the gas gauge said half full because Audi could NOT solve the problem and was scraping the nose of car in every dip or driveway refuses to go see the car no matter how much she would like the look, interior, Nav, sound system etc.

GLK vs Q5, game on.
The X3 sucks?? Funny how it curb-stomped the GLK in the Car and Driver issue this past summer and narrowly lost the title to the Q5. M-B had 6 years since the release of the X3 and they still missed the target. The X3 may be dated, but it's still better looking than the fugly box lines on the GLK. I also love how the M-B has a 7 speed transmission and has worse fuel economy than the 6-speed BMW. Lets not forget that 4Matic is a joke compared to BMW's xDrive system. 50/50 split full time? Fail.
If the GLK can't cut it against the OLD and dated X3, the new 2011 X3 is going to tear the GLK a new one in a BIG way.
The Q5 is a gorgeous vehicle. It deserves the praise it's getting. Anyone choosing a GLK over a Q5 needs to be slapped.....

Last edited by ChallengerSRT-8; 02-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
Originally Posted by ChallengerSRT-8
The X3 sucks?? Funny how it curb-stomped the GLK in the Car and Driver issue this past summer and narrowly lost the title to the Q5. M-B had 6 years since the release of the X3 and they still missed the target. The X3 may be dated, but it's still better looking than the fugly box lines on the GLK. I also love how the M-B has a 7 speed transmission and has worse fuel economy than the 6-speed BMW. Lets not forget that 4Matic is a joke compared to BMW's xDrive system. 50/50 split full time? Fail.
If the GLK can't cut it against the OLD and dated X3, the new 2011 X3 is going to tear the GLK a new one in a BIG way.
The Q5 is a gorgeous vehicle. It deserves the praise it's getting. Anyone choosing a GLK over a Q5 needs to be slapped.....
WOW!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM

2010 GLK350W4
Anyone that buys a Challenger needs to be slapped. That car is the biggest POS i've ever been in or seen. Its too bad that you can't afford a GLK, Q5, or X3.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Fugly?? Fail?? You are a such ***... you probably don't even own the computer you posted your message from!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM

GLK, CLK, CLS
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pazbien
Anyone that buys a Challenger needs to be slapped. That car is the biggest POS i've ever been in or seen. Its too bad that you can't afford a GLK, Q5, or X3.
Thank you!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by pazbien
Moron. My SRT-8 was just over $50,000 plus freight and taxes. Interesting enough that's enough to buy any of the 3 vehicles you've listed. Guess which car is more fun to drive? Mustangs are garbage and the new Camaro is nice but too common already so the SRT-8 won my money.
If you think people who drive SRT-8s have one vehicle, you need a serious reality check.
You = fail.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JT01
Fugly?? Fail?? You are a such ***... you probably don't even own the computer you posted your message from!
Thank you for proving my theory that people who buy GLK's are idiots and don't know the tiniest details about what makes a vehicle good.
Enjoy your last place GLK.
Car and Driver > you.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Moron. My SRT-8 was just over $50,000 plus freight and taxes. Interesting enough that's enough to buy any of the 3 vehicles you've listed. Guess which car is more fun to drive? Mustangs are garbage and the new Camaro is nice but too common already so the SRT-8 won my money.
If you think people who drive SRT-8s have one vehicle, you need a serious reality check.
You = fail.
Hahaha... idiot! My GLK was $60K... but then again I don't expect rednecks that drive dip**** dodges to understand that $60K is more than $50K! And who even cares... A guy that decides to spend $50K on a new car and narrows the field down to the mustang, camaro and challenger should honestly keep his mouth shut... but let me guess, your divorced cousin's live-in boyfriend is the janitor at the dodge dealership?

And you probably have racing stripes and a ****-on-ford decal the size of a matress on the back window...

Good job buddy... *** you're awesome! Do you know Kenny Powers?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
You = fail.
And sorry bud... I forgot about your Civic Turbo!

But I don't see it there in your front yard... did you sell it?.. or just lend to your mom's boyfriend to go pick up some smokes?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM

And sorry bud... I forgot about your Civic Turbo!

But I don't see it there in your front yard... did you sell it?.. or just lend to your mom's boyfriend to go pick up some smokes?

Ha Ha, that is too funny!
Why come on a Mercedes forum to put down Mercedes?
Just go on your SRT8 forum and say what you have to!
I wonder how much that SRT8 is worth right now? I bet it took a bigger hit in depreciation the minute you drove it off the lot than any GLK350!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 PM

GLK 4Matic
SRT-8, I love the looks of the Challenger but I just can't see purchasing an American vehicle for that much. All cars depreciate but US cars sink a little faster from my experience. The GLK, which this particular forum is about, is more of a masculine SUV compared to a Lexus RX(our new purchase) but there is no comparison with the full bottle of testosterone SRT-8 you have. We are comparing kiwi fruit to squashes here. Also, talking about price, the sticker on the new RX was a little over $48,000. and I just can't see getting any US vehicle for that kind of money...no offense, just info.
P.S. Even though we just traded in our GLK for the RX, I miss it enough to linger just a little longer.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 AM

Mercedes Benz GLK-350
.....I also love how the M-B has a 7 speed transmission and has worse fuel economy than the 6-speed BMW. .....

Buys a Challenger SRT8 and talks about fuel economy
Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Hahaha... idiot! My GLK was $60K... but then again I don't expect rednecks that drive dip**** dodges to understand that $60K is more than $50K! And who even cares... A guy that decides to spend $50K on a new car and narrows the field down to the mustang, camaro and challenger should honestly keep his mouth shut... but let me guess, your divorced cousin's live-in boyfriend is the janitor at the dodge dealership?

And you probably have racing stripes and a ****-on-ford decal the size of a matress on the back window...

Good job buddy... *** you're awesome! Do you know Kenny Powers?
So let me get this straight. You blew $60 K on a box on wheels with a bargain basement interior (as far as MB's go), small back seat, average cargo space, low towing capacity and an archaic all wheel drive system? You seriously have a disconnect with reality, especially when every vehicle in that class is better than the GLK. You're a hero dude! Way to blow your money.
I spent $50 K on an American icon with a 6.1L V8 that can pull of 13 second passes at the strip without mods and on street tires.
Where is all this redneck **** coming from? You stupid ****, since when do guys with 11 second Civics become rednecks? That's the first I've heard, but then again based on your GLK purchase I should not have expected much of an intelligence level....
Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by G*L*K
Buys a Challenger SRT8 and talks about fuel economy
It's surprisingly good for what it is if I'm easy on it, but where's the fun in that?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
SRT-8, I love the looks of the Challenger but I just can't see purchasing an American vehicle for that much. All cars depreciate but US cars sink a little faster from my experience. The GLK, which this particular forum is about, is more of a masculine SUV compared to a Lexus RX(our new purchase) but there is no comparison with the full bottle of testosterone SRT-8 you have. We are comparing kiwi fruit to squashes here. Also, talking about price, the sticker on the new RX was a little over $48,000. and I just can't see getting any US vehicle for that kind of money...no offense, just info.
P.S. Even though we just traded in our GLK for the RX, I miss it enough to linger just a little longer.
You make some very good points. Overall from what I've seen, the Challenger RT and SRT models seem to be bucking the trend and holding their value fairly well. The lower end V6 models not so much. They're falling prey to the same problems as other Chryslers and GMs.
I don't mind the new RX. The ride is a little too on the floaty side for my tastes. If I ever have kids in the near future, I'll probably look into an X1 or X3 (2011 model, the current one is outdated, but still a contender). BMW still manages to somehow put a high fun to drive quotient into a small SUV which is exactly what I'd want.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Not sure why you are on this forum to begin with, which car do you have X3 or Q5?

Bimmer Audi and MB take different approach to what AWD is supposed to accomplich. What's wrong with 55/45 split? It still shifts torque left and right. Not looking to go slalom at highest speed posible in slippery conditions anyways. MB's system is simpler and more reliable.

Also, go on 3 series forums and read about cars becoing trash after a year or two, with fuel pump failing 5 times (although the last one relates not new N54 engines). Can't see US made X3 being any better. It is also so outdated and not great looking, but looks is matter of personal taste. I think Q5 is a fat A3, there is nothing sepcial about its design. GLK's desight is also simple and simple things to date fast. And who cares what car and driver says, in their tests. We are not looking for a car that pulls most G or goes to 60 fastest, it has different purpose.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Not sure why you are on this forum to begin with, which car do you have X3 or Q5?
Exactly! Doesn't Dodge have a forum you can go spew on.
Do you really think you will get anyone on this forum to say, "WOW, an SRT8, I had never thought of that, maybe I'l go trade in my Mercedes for one of them!?"
Get a life, and GET LOST!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
So let me get this straight. You blew $60 K on a box on wheels with a bargain basement interior (as far as MB's go), small back seat, average cargo space, low towing capacity and an archaic all wheel drive system? You seriously have a disconnect with reality, especially when every vehicle in that class is better than the GLK. You're a hero dude! Way to blow your money.
I spent $50 K on an American icon with a 6.1L V8 that can pull of 13 second passes at the strip without mods and on street tires.
Where is all this redneck **** coming from? You stupid ****, since when do guys with 11 second Civics become rednecks? That's the first I've heard, but then again based on your GLK purchase I should not have expected much of an intelligence level....
Buddy... you are a joke! You are the clueless douchebag everybody laughs at... Go bug people on an LR or Jag forum or something... get lost, I'm sure it won't be hard for you to do!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Enjoy your last place GLK.
...and what was that again about the last place GLK???

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/results.html

Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
We own both.... and as I have posted before... I find the handling and steering feedback (at speed) of the Q5 to be more to my liking than that of the GLK. The suspension feels tighter, with a little more precision especially in the turn-ins for a SUV. It has a little more room inside... so yes I do enjoy the overall feel a little more... but the GLK does have it's own personality as well.... no offence, but the GLK is more of a *chick car* than the Q5S.... just my opinion.

Last edited by MBRedux; 08-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Not sure about the Q5S, but I find the Q5 more feminine than the GLK, and I was going to get it for my wife, unfortunately, she doesn't like Audis. Silly prejudice.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 PM

GLK 4Matic
You make some very good points. Overall from what I've seen, the Challenger RT and SRT models seem to be bucking the trend and holding their value fairly well. The lower end V6 models not so much. They're falling prey to the same problems as other Chryslers and GMs.
I don't mind the new RX. The ride is a little too on the floaty side for my tastes. If I ever have kids in the near future, I'll probably look into an X1 or X3 (2011 model, the current one is outdated, but still a contender). BMW still manages to somehow put a high fun to drive quotient into a small SUV which is exactly what I'd want.
It may be on the floaty side but this '10 handles better than our last two, an '04 and '07. Everyday, there are a few corners I hang and the RX zips around pretty darn good. I'm not sure if the AWD has anything to do with it. Overall, it is a chick SUV and it matters most what my wife likes, not me. The GLK's back seat and smaller cargo area along with the poor service at our dealer got us to go back to the RX.

Back to the SRT-8, one of my buddies test drove the V6 Challenger and said it was a dog. That's when the Challenger was first released. Shortly thereafter, the SRT-8's started arriving and I stopped to check them out. I was really thinking about getting one but the gas mileage side of me won out. The dealer threw me the keys but I just started it up, checked the interior, under the hood and the trunk. The 1/4 mile drag computer is cool along with the Brembo brakes and the kicker subwoofer in the trunk. I probably would have jumped on this 5 to 10 years ago but it came at the wrong time.

Last edited by ftttubrgcm; 02-26-2010 at 12:02 AM.