GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Rants

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
ambient lighting!

this little interior feature is now becoming commonplace on premium vehicles. why not the glk? hell, a c230 here in canada comes with illuminated interior door handles. i don't understand why the glk was stripped of this feature. i thought that white plastic "surround" on the overhead lights glow during the dark for ambient lighting? (doesn't the e-class have this?) but i guess it doesn't. sometimes, i think the c-class was much more well-prepared than the glk for its introduction.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Ryan A.
this little interior feature is now becoming commonplace on premium vehicles. why not the glk? hell, a c230 here in canada comes with illuminated interior door handles. i don't understand why the glk was stripped of this feature. i thought that white plastic "surround" on the overhead lights glow during the dark for ambient lighting? (doesn't the e-class have this?) but i guess it doesn't. sometimes, i think the c-class was much more well-prepared than the glk for its introduction.
It might come with the Lether Package as it comes with additional interior lighting, not many people order it tho.

I would add exterior door handle lighting to this too. I know bimmers come with it, and it looks nice.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 AM

GLK350
Rant:

Motorola Razr2 (v9m from Telus) will not route incoming calls over to the GLK audio/telephone connection. However it will dial out to the Razr2 - but it's not possible to use it if incoming calls are stuck on the handset.

ps: My Gamin Nuvi 760 works perfectly with the Razr2 - even has access to the phone book.

Blackberry Bold works well with the GLK.

Perhaps someone knows more about the bluetooth support on the GLK?

oh, ours is a based model GLK, no UMI, no Navi etc.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 PM

lots
GLK Complaints

There's a few things about my wife's GLK 350 4Matic that I really- REALLY object to, and need to see about having modified if we are going to keep the vehicle. Thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has the same issues:

1) Most annoying are the headrests, which project too far forward and force the driver and passenger to tilt the seat back beyond a point where one would normally drive. These are 'active' headrests, in that they are designed to move up and forward in the event of a rear end collision. I'm wondering if MB has the design of these wrong, or perhaps installation done incorrectly from the factory. They appear to be in a position one would expect would be the forward 'active' position, not the passive everyday one. Has anyone else experienced issues with their head forced forward by the headrests?

2) The steering box is a bowl of noodles. Its a dead as dead can be on road feedback and totally numb. A drive in an AMG vehicle at the track will tell you that M-B knows how to make a decent steering rack, but they chose not to do so in the GLK. This actually makes the vehicle harder to drive as it has virtually no resistance to steering wheel input. Overboosted to the max. Why? I'm sure the 20" tires are not helping, but c'mon MB, if BMW can do it you can get close......

3) Not including the rear cargo cover as standard equipment is cheezy. Charging $ 387 for it at the dealers part counter adds insult to injury.

4) Brake feedback is wooden to say the least. Once again, MB knows how to do it right (AMG) but they have made the GLK 'soft'. Too bad.

-Duane
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
1) I'd recommend lowering them a bit, although I don't notice this issue. My mom had this problem in her volvo. They are supposed to have one the best seats, yet didn't fit her cuz of the same head rest issue.

2) GLK is an SUV not AMG tuned sports car hahah

3) It's standard in Canada, but would you rather have 400 bux built into the MSRP, nothing is free

4) Yes!!! However, they are effective for a 4200 lb entry level SUV, which is what counts in this case.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 06-23-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 PM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
If u hate it so much, why bother complaining here, instead u can sell it immediately or just dump it around some ghetto area and buy yourself a bimmer????
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM

lots
Originally Posted by bobhammer
If u hate it so much, why bother complaining here, instead u can sell it immediately or just dump it around some ghetto area and buy yourself a bimmer????
Did I lance your sacred cow, bob? Just looking for input to see if anyone has solutions such as 1) Could the headrests have a production problem and have been installed incorrectly at the factory, and 2) Has anyone investigated retrofitting an AMG steering rack/pump into a GLK 350?

And I own BMW's already. Three in my garage as i write this.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350 4MATIC
I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. 3 BMWs?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 AM

GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Hahaha...

That's one thing about these forums, since you're not talking face to face it's hard to gauge the intent of the queries.

Anyways, there are two types of headrest, depending on what configuration you have.

I don't have the p1 package which has power everything so my headrest is manually adjusted up or down, and it doesn't go all the way down. I think it's the same with the power version. There's about an inch that looks like it can go down but it doesn't. I think this is a design "feature" to make room for the rear seat entertainment (which to me looks like an afterthought). The bottom part can tilt forward a little bit if you pull it from the bottom but that's about it.

Steering takes a while to get used to. I was used to my old car where it gets tighter at high speed, while the GLK was still soft, as you said, like a bowl of noodles. I would have liked it better if it gets a bit firmer at high speed but I'm used to it now.

As for braking, never had a problem with it although again this could be a learning curve especially with a new car where the brakes still need breaking in. The first few miles it was a little sluggish until you press harder then it bites.

Originally Posted by drcollie
Did I lance your sacred cow, bob? Just looking for input to see if anyone has solutions such as 1) Could the headrests have a production problem and have been installed incorrectly at the factory, and 2) Has anyone investigated retrofitting an AMG steering rack/pump into a GLK 350?

And I own BMW's already. Three in my garage as i write this.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 AM

By the way $387 is too much. MSRP for this is $240 so it should be lower than this.

I did see this was an add on accessory but didn't get it at my dealer. I bought one online instead.

3) Not including the rear cargo cover as standard equipment is cheezy. Charging $ 387 for it at the dealers part counter adds insult to injury.
-Duane
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by jpjolo
By the way $387 is too much. MSRP for this is $240 so it should be lower than this.

I did see this was an add on accessory but didn't get it at my dealer. I bought one online instead.
We have it in Canada, but I thought the windows in the back are so dark, i won't be able to see anything in the trunk, even without the cover. Why you need it anyways?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Cleaner look from the backseat.

Originally Posted by yualfred
We have it in Canada, but I thought the windows in the back are so dark, i won't be able to see anything in the trunk, even without the cover. Why you need it anyways?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
I agree that the cargo cover would be a nice addition to the standard included options but it wasn't a deal breaker for me...

This being my first crossover or SUV (last car was a 2006 Audi S4), I did have some adjustment anxiety, but after 2 months, I really love this car...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM

lots
Originally Posted by jpjolo
Hahaha...

That's one thing about these forums, since you're not talking face to face it's hard to gauge the intent of the queries.

Anyways, there are two types of headrest, depending on what configuration you have.

I don't have the p1 package which has power everything so my headrest is manually adjusted up or down, and it doesn't go all the way down. I think it's the same with the power version. There's about an inch that looks like it can go down but it doesn't. I think this is a design "feature" to make room for the rear seat entertainment (which to me looks like an afterthought). The bottom part can tilt forward a little bit if you pull it from the bottom but that's about it.

Steering takes a while to get used to. I was used to my old car where it gets tighter at high speed, while the GLK was still soft, as you said, like a bowl of noodles. I would have liked it better if it gets a bit firmer at high speed but I'm used to it now.

As for braking, never had a problem with it although again this could be a learning curve especially with a new car where the brakes still need breaking in. The first few miles it was a little sluggish until you press harder then it bites.

That's a good point, they may be set forward due to wanting to accommodate the rear seat entertainment screens. We have the power package on ours and I've done everything except take them apart to try to move them further back and off the seat. Tried the tilt feature, doesn't help much. I will fix these one way or another....just seeing if anyone else finds them intrusive?

As to the steering feel, I have a letter into MB USA of NJ to see if they can run it by their engineering dept and find out if there is an AMG steering rack or power box that can swap into the GLK. I've driven a number of AMG cars on the track so i know they can make different steering inputs. The rack/box off the C63 might be a drop-in fit.

I'm not above doing that, as its a good ride otherwise. If I can fix the steering and the headrests, I'm good to go.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM

lots
Originally Posted by yualfred
I need it because my wife wants it, and sometimes that's the only rationale that makes sense.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 PM

lots
Originally Posted by andyf0
I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. 3 BMWs?
Heck yah. Two for me (E90 330i Sedan and R1200GS) and one for my daughter (E46 323i Sedan). My wife likes Benz's, I prefer BMW's (though once every ten years or so I buy a 911 for a bit)
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 AM

C35 OMG
- No standard moonroof (normal ones, not panoramic)
- No standard HID..........
Old 07-17-2009, 02:07 AM

2010 GLK350 4Matic Sport
This vehicle is as about as utiliarian as it gets in my family, so I was pretty disappointed when I found out the rear seats couldn't be adjusted a la Q5.
Optional third row would have been nice too, as I was really surprised to see a 7 seat Rav4.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by ben-c
This vehicle is as about as utiliarian as it gets in my family, so I was pretty disappointed when I found out the rear seats couldn't be adjusted a la Q5.
Optional third row would have been nice too, as I was really surprised to see a 7 seat Rav4.
3rd row in GLK

I'd love to see 3rd row in RAV4, can even anybody sit there?

If anything, I think I'd love to see rear seats heated before being adjustable.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
3rd row in GLK

+1 I really can't even imagine having a 3rd row seat. Talk about no leg room....

I like your point for the rear heated seats + having them be adjustable.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:06 PM

03 C32, 2010 GLK350

As to the steering feel, I have a letter into MB USA of NJ to see if they can run it by their engineering dept and find out if there is an AMG steering rack or power box that can swap into the GLK.
Really? That solution just seems extreme and cost-prohibitive. I drive an AMG myself and just bought a GLK for my wife, and I can say I'm happy with the GLK's steering just as it is. I don't understand all the complaints about the GLK's steering - it's a MERCEDES SUV. What did you expect?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
3rd row in GLK

Yeah they'd be tiny, just as in the Rav4 (basically foot stools with seat backs). Admittedly not ideal for regular use, it's nice to have in a pinch. You gotta admit, for such a small truck to have 7 passenger cabablity is an impressive feat on its own, regardless of third row comfort.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by ben-c
Yeah they'd be tiny, just as in the Rav4 (basically foot stools with seat backs). Admittedly not ideal for regular use, it's nice to have in a pinch. You gotta admit, for such a small truck to have 7 passenger cabablity is an impressive feat on its own, regardless of third row comfort.
I agree with you there, but honestly except for kids, I can't imagine someone sitting for a more than 20 mins. I agree its a nice to have, but for an adult must be discomforting...
Old 07-17-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I did'nt like how much the suspension swayed from side to side so I added a strut brace and the problem was solved. Now the steering is more responsive in the twisities.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
I did'nt like how much the suspension swayed from side to side so I added a strut brace and the problem was solved. Now the steering is more responsive in the twisities.
I'm sure you'll get a little quicker response in the twisties, but I don't think a strut brace will do anything to eliminate or even reduce the common criticism of head toss, particularly at low speeds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK Rants