GLK Rants

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
GLK Rants

No car is perfect and GLK won't be exception. There always something you wish they made different.

Here are few to start.
-Not full LED taillights
-20 inch rims come with 235 instead of 255 tires
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 4Matic
I have no idea if other MB classes have telescoping or sliding sun visors but I know my GLK doesn't. My MINI doesn't but at least it has the fold down visor on the driver side.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM

MY05 Jeep Liberty
I have no idea if other MB classes have telescoping or sliding sun visors but I know my GLK doesn't. My MINI doesn't but at least it has the fold down visor on the driver side
I'd rather sacrifice not having decent sun visors, than not having decent cup holders. *COUGH COUGH BMW*
Old 03-17-2009, 04:41 PM

GLK 350 4matic
1) Better NAV system with real time traffic.
2) Automatic downward tilting sideview mirrors when the car is in reverse.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by gaser
2) Automatic downward tilting sideview mirrors when the car is in reverse.
Providing that the right hand mirror button is selected, the right hand mirror will tilt down upon engaging reverse gear. If the RH mirror doesn't do this, you should have your GLK checked by your dealer.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 PM

GLK 350 4matic
I'll check it out. Thanks.

3) Better orientation by the dealer. LOL
Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I believe the GLK's in Canada have the folding and tilting mirrors which the U.S. models don't get.

1) Brembo calipers

2) Kompressor

3) Cargo cover

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 03-17-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
I believe the GLK's in Canada have the folding and tilting mirrors which the U.S. models don't get.

3) Cargo cover
Yes, I believe your statement is correct about the mirrors.

All Canadian GLKs have a cargo cover and a folding cargo net that can be installed in one of two locations, depending on whether the seats are folded or not.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Yes I can confirm we get the cargo cover and the net. The two locations for this are roof clip cutouts just before and pass the rear passenger door area.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Oh c'mon, GLK does not come with tilt down mirrors? Could someone from US confrim that. I thought this feature is as common as power adjustable mirrors, make sure the mirror is selected tho. I know on Infiniti, you have select which side you want to tilt, so if the switch is in the middle none of them will tilt down.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 AM

GLK 350 4matic
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/yua/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]In GLK online menu, under 'memory functions', you will find Passenger side exterior mirror parking position.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Oh c'mon, GLK does not come with tilt down mirrors? Could someone from US confrim that. I thought this feature is as common as power adjustable mirrors, make sure the mirror is selected tho. I know on Infiniti, you have select which side you want to tilt, so if the switch is in the middle none of them will tilt down.
Not sure about the USA models but my GLK will auto select the passenger side mirror (the LED lights up) and does change the view to lower side view when you put it in reverse. I did not notice this until looking for this after reading this post since I have the rearview camera and I usually just look behind me when reversing. Its a nice touch and useful, you can see if there is anything sticking out behind and below you. I will try to see if I can manually select the driver side mirror before putting it in reverse.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^^^the only purpose for tilting mirror is to know where the curb is so you don't scratch the rim.

New Infiniti FX actually has a camera on both sides so you can see entire side of your car and what's next to you. Nice feature, but overkill imo, as long as i can have auto tilting mirror that's all i need not scratch my rims but be close to the curb.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM

GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
It seems like the only thing the U.S. GLK has over the Can. version is the weather....lol. I think I might have to order the tilt mirror system from a dealership in Canada.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM

528i, GLK
The birdseye view camera of Infiniti is amazing. I would love to have this on the GLK. Its very useful in city parallel parking. Not so useful if you park in big lots but in the streets of NYC. its absolutely a delight. Infiniti certainly wins the electronics gadgets.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Update

The side view mirrors did not tilt downward despite being selected while in reverse. I do not have the folding mirror option as it was not available at the time.
Definitely not a deal breaker. Still love this vehicle, but it would have been nice, especially if you decide to spend $$$ on aftermarket wheels and have to parallel park often.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by gaser
The side view mirrors did not tilt downward despite being selected while in reverse. I do not have the folding mirror option as it was not available at the time.
Definitely not a deal breaker. Still love this vehicle, but it would have been nice, especially if you decide to spend $$$ on aftermarket wheels and have to parallel park often.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Powerfolding mirrors are not available in US to my knowledge. Many members here are from Canada, where powerfolding mirrors is an option added later on as well as keyless go.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 AM

I am sure that some tuner company will start carrying the tilting mirrors in a couple of months if they see that more and more of us here in the U.S. keep asking for them. Same thing happened when I was in the Volks seen. A bunch of people kept asking for European parts and within the first year of the MK4 series Volks we were able to get almost anything we wanted. Bumpers, mirrors, interior and exterior lighting,euro performance tires etc...
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Idk about that. Demand for VW aftermarket parts is significantly higher than for MB let alone just GLK. I'm hoping the function is just locked, and can be reprogrammed.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 PM

528i, GLK
Power tilting mirrors? no, it will require assembly replacement and frankly i'm not even sure if its doable (MB parts) because there will be a button to disable it in between the side mirror buttons.

I have this on my bmw 528 and I don't even turn it on, with backup view cam, its even less enticing.

as for power folding, ya, I really wanted that but o well....
Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by webada
Power tilting mirrors? no, it will require assembly replacement and frankly i'm not even sure if its doable (MB parts) because there will be a button to disable it in between the side mirror buttons.

I have this on my bmw 528 and I don't even turn it on, with backup view cam, its even less enticing.

as for power folding, ya, I really wanted that but o well....
Well I would think that every MB has auto tilting mirror. There are already power mirrors standard, so the only missing part is something that tells it to tilt down when you are in reverse and mirror is selected. I would expect this feature to be part of every mirror assembly so it makes no sense to me that GLK in US doesn't have it. As far as back up camera I know it helps, but I'm not sure you would be able to see how far the rear wheel is from the curb.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Idk about that. Demand for VW aftermarket parts is significantly higher than for MB let alone just GLK. I'm hoping the function is just locked, and can be reprogrammed.
Why do you start a thread about rants if you don't want to hear/read what people have to say. If someone like you wants to sit around and be negative, well then you are right the aftermarket or dealerships won't help us get the parts we demand. As for me I am on the net everyday talking with different custom shops as well as tuning companies I used to deal with many years ago trying to get parts made for all the enthusiasts here on the forum. As for my MK4, it was the first non-autostick automatic in the US to be chipped. Why...because I pushed for a chip to be custom made for it. My car was the guinea pig and because of my efforts the chip was available for other MK4's.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
Why do you start a thread about rants if you don't want to hear/read what people have to say. If someone like you wants to sit around and be negative, well then you are right the aftermarket or dealerships won't help us get the parts we demand. As for me I am on the net everyday talking with different custom shops as well as tuning companies I used to deal with many years ago trying to get parts made for all the enthusiasts here on the forum. As for my MK4, it was the first non-autostick automatic in the US to be chipped. Why...because I pushed for a chip to be custom made for it. My car was the guinea pig and because of my efforts the chip was available for other MK4's.
Not being negative just realistic. All I said was that GLK will never have the same aftermarket support as MK4 or MK5 does. From business perspective there is much better chance tuner will invest time and money to make a product for high volume cheaper car owned by a lot of kids and young adults, than for a low volume expensive SUV owned by a lot conservative drivers and non enthusiasts. You can have group buy of 50 ppl in no time on VW forum. Idk if there 50 GLK owners on this forum.

What's your rant about GLK anyways?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Read your own thread and you will see what my rant is.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 PM

I was also trying to help you by bringing up the fact that the US version GLK doesn't have tilt mirrors. Which others have confirmed for you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK Rants