GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK HID CONVERSION KIT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4 MATIC
GLK HID CONVERSION KIT

I am about to take delivery for my non-HID GLK and really interested in finding a HID conversion kit that goes with my GLK. anyone here end up getting one, if yes what brand/where did u get it from? did it trigger any warnings on the instrument panels and does it have that flashy start?

Also has anyone tried to install HID conversion kit on any modern Mercedes? how did it go and what are the results?

here is a thread that i found here that is offering a sale on HID Kits:
https://mbworld.org/forums/group-pur...-shipping.html

by the way the bulb size of the headlights seems to be H7 according to this manual that I found its link in the forum:
Headlamps
There are two headlamp variants available for the
GLK-Class:
•H7 headlamps with integrated cornering lights and H7 high beams
•Intelligent Light System with bi-xenon headlamps without high beam spot lamp (SA).
On the GLK, the low beams operate using a projection system with halogen or xenon lights instead of a reflector system. The high beam headlamps still use reflector technology as in the past.

Last edited by AJGLK; 03-19-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
HID Conversion Kits

This seems like a real HID system, so that price of $149 which is half price seems very good indeed. There is extra if you want to have your High Beams as HID as well. Having the originals on my GLK, I have to say they are very bright, almost too bright. The high beams certainly can blind oncoming traffic. The self leveling looks cool when you turn on at night time as they do this leveling off thingy. The adaptive system is very good as is posted on here on another thread.

Here is the exact link to the above website showing you what the kit looks like.

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...at=3393&page=1
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
does non-xenon glk come with lenses? I doubt that, and then it's pointless. It's gonna look like those ghetto cars with very bright lights bliding everybody. All this package is is pair of brighter lights that need lenses to focus more the light forward instead of everywhere around.

I used to have non xenon car and read countless discussions on HID's. The propper way is to install headlight with lenses, which cost more than getting lighting package. Again my assumption is that non-xenon glk does not have lenses, which also explains why it does not have addaptive lighting.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 03-19-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM

GLK 350 4 MATIC
it has projector clear lens style. IMO it is hard to tell which glk has xenon only by looking at a xenon glk and non xenon glk.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
hmmm yea i was just looking at some pics of non xenon GLK, and seems like lenses are there. So MB charges 700 for xenon light bulbs, led tail turn signals and washing system...I'll have to reconsider getting lighting package in this case cuz this sounds like a rip off.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
hmmm yea i was just looking at some pics of non xenon GLK, and seems like lenses are there. So MB charges 700 for xenon light bulbs, led tail turn signals and washing system...I'll have to reconsider getting lighting package in this case cuz this sounds like a rip off.
well I think if you price out any option in a new car you can make this argument. Why pay for $1800 for navigation when a $500 Garmin would do just as good a job and is bluetooth compatible.

The lighting package is built into the electornics of the GLK in the factory installed version. So I have to assume the voltage requirements are taken into consideation. Now the whole system is Adaptive so there is the turn in motors for those lenses along with side illumination and fog lights.
The whole arming and disarming of the lock features allows you to control how these lights and chirps work so there is some integration that you get that is not available with aftermarket.
Of note on my engine sill, there are stickers above the lighting system that says 2500volts, not sure if that is just a sticker or some requirement of the intensity and colour of the HID we get with the factory setup.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^^^ yea I understad that, it's just I thought that main part of 700 was because non-bixenos are those crappy reflect techology lights, so I thought 700 for lightling package was a bargain. But now I realiezed you don't get much for 700 bux.

And yes, I do think 1800 is a rip off for NAVI, but still gonna get it as well as this "lighting package".
Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 PM

GLK 350 4matic
I thought lighting package is $970, even invoice is $902. If you can get it for $700, its already a bargain.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
yea 970...need to get my prices right
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 AM

528i, GLK
anyone has outfitted aftermarket HID kit yet?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by NYCGLK

The projectors for non Xenon are different than Xenon projectors.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 AM

CLK 320
I'm not sure of the size, but if you already have projectors I'd look at what size they are.
If they are close to the size OEM projectors I'd just buy them and see if you can install them into your stock housing. You'll also need a ballast and a wiring harness. If it's any thing like my CLK you'll need to have the dealer set the your car to XENON present.

I don't know, it's a pretty new car, you're going to have a hard time finding a set of used OEM projectors. And it's going to be real costly to buy a set of OEM headlights. In the end that's what I did for the CLK. It turned out great, but I had to search around for a set at a good price.

Hope that helps.

Edit.

Ehh you COULD just buy an MTEC PNP kit and see if the cut off is right. I doubt it will look right,but you could always sell if it did not work out. That is only if you have projectors now. Don't buy some $65 cheapo kit. You get what you pay for applies here.

Last edited by NOMO; 03-26-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Banned

Volkswagan
Trusting the quality of a commodity seems to be acceptable in this $149 real HID system conversion kit that helps people to convert their GLK.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 AM

CLK 320
You will run into a few kids, but reading up on HIDplanet.com can give you a lil info on Plug and Play kits.
I'd advise against them about %99 of the time.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by NOMO
You will run into a few kids, but reading up on HIDplanet.com can give you a lil info on Plug and Play kits.
I'd advise against them about %99 of the time.
I will second that. I never did it on a used toyota and would def not do it on a brand new MB, unless I really know what I'm doing. If you are buying MB what's another 900 bux for factory installed HIDs, adaptive lighting, wahsing system, corner illumination and rear LEDs.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Does Canadian Bi-xenon include 'Active lighting' too? In MB canada, it saids 'Bi-xenon headlamps' only.

Also is 'Intelligent lighting' included in both Bi-xenon and Non bi-xenon?

Inclusion of 'Active lighting' already justified the cost of the lighting package, IMO.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:55 PM

Audi
Yes, the Canadian GLK's Bi-Xenon's include active lighting I believe.