GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Free Cargo (Luggage Compartment) Cover?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLK350
Question Free Cargo (Luggage Compartment) Cover?

I picked up my GLK here in Houston last week and was surprised to find that the rear sliding pull-out cargo cover was not included in the car. My salesman and I looked at every other GLK in the dealership inventory (14) and didn't find a cover in any of them . The problem is -- they show the cargo cover in place in every rear-shot photo in the sales brochure, and every web site that describes the GLK's features (such as KBB.com) states that the cargo cover is standard... and I really could use one. Has anyone else received a free cargo cover with their car (I know they're standard in Canada)? Thanks for your comments -
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
nope, i bought mine at mercedes of greenway and no cargo cover. where did you buy yours?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 AM

GLK 350 4Matic
I was also surprised to find this out when I took delivery. This is my 4th SUV, and in all other cases, the cargo cover was either included in the base or clearly listed in an option package. With the GLK, it is an accessory that can be purchased from the dealer. When I looked at the website recently, I found it in the Build Your Vehicle tool (Step 4: Accessories > Cargo Management > Luggage Compartment Cover). Nicely hidden away - the photo hardly shows it. Price - $240.

Obviously, this wasn't a deal breaker, but this is the type of stuff that sours the buying experience a little bit.

Last edited by GreyGLK; 04-14-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 AM

MB GLK350
Cargo cover

I also bought mine at Greenway in Houston. The salesman knew nothing about the cover... that it even existed, or if it did exist, whether it was an option or an omission... or so he said.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 AM

GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Yeah these accessories are hard to come by. The place I bought my car from didn't have them. I ended up buying it on the internet from an MB dealer in Texas (Park Place) which had two in stock.

Originally Posted by jkf398
I also bought mine at Greenway in Houston. The salesman knew nothing about the cover... that it even existed, or if it did exist, whether it was an option or an omission... or so he said.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM

GLK350- Sport pkg, Navi and HK
jpjolo - how much did you pay for yours?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 AM

GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Originally Posted by fishsriz
jpjolo - how much did you pay for yours?
They had it at $260 + $26 shipping. I think the cargo cover now is cheaper at $240?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM

When I get my GLK this week, I will take a look at it and see if I need mine..
If not, then it will be up for sale to my American friends
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
who was your saleman? mine was leigh bennett. a great saleman and he knew everything about the vehicle. are you located in houston? did you post any pics of your glk?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
If you mean the retractable cargo cover I got mine included along with the cargo net (which I have not tried out).
Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 PM

MB GLK350
Cargo Cover...

My salesman at Greenway was Stanley Coker... he seemed on-the-ball and was willing to make me a deal... $3500 off sticker. He didn't know anything about the cargo cover one way or the other, but kinda-sorta promised he'd find me one. I haven't received the "rating" call from M-B yet, so that's my ace in the hole.

I'll get pix up in the next few days after I polish 'er up. I have pretty much every option... Premium 1, leather, rear-seat entertainment, appearance, etc... white exterior with grey-black interior.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:06 AM

528i, GLK
only in Canada they come standard. my GLK don't have it either. at first I was surprised, even my pal's 8yr old Pathfinder came with it... but she never used it anyways.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM

GLK350 4matic, prem, navi, sport
Originally Posted by webada
only in Canada they come standard
According to my dealer, MB studied amount of snow we are getting in Canada and decided that car's roof is not enough to hold it. So the cover is always included to provide additional strength the car's structure. Its use is mandatory during winter months.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 AM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
Regarding roof not being able to support peak snow loads in Canada, thus Canada gets cargo cover to provide extra body stiff ness in winter must be a JOKE. All the talk about testing the car in most extreme environments and MB added value engineering?????

Regarding paying extra for absolutely everything on the GLK, that is what happens when MB decides to enter market under price of Audi , BMW and Volvo small utes. Just look at recent package changes and odd ball, discount programs being discussed on this site.

I actually like the MB strategy.

Will be disappointed if snow load problem is true. California Sierra Nevada mtns (my winter playground) gets crazy snow dumps and it can be very heavy snow in spring dumps.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by vbuben
According to my dealer, MB studied amount of snow we are getting in Canada and decided that car's roof is not enough to hold it. So the cover is always included to provide additional strength the car's structure. Its use is mandatory during winter months.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I thought cargo cover is that thing that you pull out over the trank part so you can't see what's in the trank. If I heard that answer from the sales guy, that would be my last visit to that dealer. Car's roof can't hold snow? What is it made out of? paper?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Thats is terrible.. dont tell me you believed that.. I would of stood there staring at him if he had said that to me.. hahahha

Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 AM

GLK 350
I am pretty sure he is being sarcastic. Defect as such won't even pass govenment standards, and you guys really think MB would allow a can of worms as this to grow? Good try bro, but honestly thats
Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM

GLK350 4matic, prem, navi, sport
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Car's roof can't hold snow? What is it made out of? paper?
These panoramic sunroof windows are huge. They must be bigger in Canadian models... as dealer told me. In Canada, to get the same amount of sunlight coming through them, MB increased their size by 18.5%. Which is barely enough during long Arctic winter, when the sun shows up for 2-3 hours a day.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
HA HA HA we got a jokester over here
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
These panoramic sunroof windows are huge. They must be bigger in Canadian models... as dealer told me. In Canada, to get the same amount of sunlight coming through them, MB increased their size by 18.5%. Which is barely enough during long Arctic winter, when the sun shows up for 2-3 hours a day.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM

528i, GLK
so everything in canada is bigger and heavier and stronger...

I take it the cargo cover bar must be made out of Krptotitanium to support the BIG stuff.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Future GLK350
My salesman at Greenway was Stanley Coker... he seemed on-the-ball and was willing to make me a deal... $3500 off sticker. He didn't know anything about the cargo cover one way or the other, but kinda-sorta promised he'd find me one. I haven't received the "rating" call from M-B yet, so that's my ace in the hole.

I'll get pix up in the next few days after I polish 'er up. I have pretty much every option... Premium 1, leather, rear-seat entertainment, appearance, etc... white exterior with grey-black interior.
3,500 off the MSRP?...that pretty darn good. I just spoke to them last week about ordering a unit (I wanted the light package) and they would not even discuss pricing...So naturally, I looked elsewhere
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM

MB GLK350
Don't even ASK a car dealer about pricing unless you're within a day or two of the end-of-the-month. That's when they'll make the deals. I bought mine on March 30th.

I'd be very interested to hear what your deal is. I don't know if the Houston M-B dealers all collude with each other like the Houston BMW dealers do, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Future GLK350
Don't even ASK a car dealer about pricing unless you're within a day or two of the end-of-the-month. That's when they'll make the deals. I bought mine on March 30th.

I'd be very interested to hear what your deal is. I don't know if the Houston M-B dealers all collude with each other like the Houston BMW dealers do, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I guess the problem is that there are no cars on the lot that matches what I want...so without talking about ordering/building one, there is no other way to deal a deal. I am not going to order a car and then allow them to randomly charge me what they think is fair when the car arrives.
I've bought many BMWs and it always been price negotiated before the order is put in. I also did not buy my BMWs in Houston...
Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
That's how it is. You order car and fix the price when you place the order (not when car is delivered). Only apr is subject to change depending on what promotion is avaialble in the month of delivery.

What options are you looking for? I had a pretty difficult list, but then changing a few preferences put me in a perfect car for me. No regrets yet.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Free Cargo (Luggage Compartment) Cover?