MB Ext Warranty vs Geico

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
MB Ext Warranty vs Geico

So I was on C-Class forum, since GLK forum is not that active, and came across MB ext. warranty discussion. One guy mentioned Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance.

-Covers everything up to 7years/100k miles.
-Can be purchases within first 15 months or 15k miles. Works when original warranty expires.
-The only downside is $250 deductible, which is not a big deal, as I would worried about major breakdowns, not small things.

EDIT: Geico Link
http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...own-insurance/

C Class discussion on this:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-warranty.html

I priced it on ML as Geico does not have GLK yet. It was 53 bux per 6 months. So if you buy it after a year it's 6years times 2 times $53 =$636.
C class was $49 so I'm sure GLK is there in between. Is this too good to be true? I tried google and seems many have this on various cars. Anybody here had experience?

Last edited by NYCGLK; 04-15-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Yeah they always save the best for last. The finance manager will discuss this with you when you pick up your car (extended warranty, theft protection, tire/rim protection, paint protection--- what else? I forgot).

They had pointed out to me the difference between what Geico covers and what MB covers but --- in one ear and out the other. I wasn't paying attention. I didn't get it as I wasn't planning on holding on to the car for that long.

You could give your salesperson a call.

BTW. I have Geico, and they did offer this but I said no for the same reason.

Last edited by jpjolo; 04-15-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Still can change your mind. You have 15month/15k miles to get it.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Still can change your mind. You have 15month/15k miles to get it.
You probably already know this too but you can buy the MB warranty up to a year or 12K mi for the same price and you can buy it even later but the price goes up each year.

I did consider it since the C was new for '08 but ultimately decided to take my chances. We'll see how that plays out...

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM

528i, GLK
Geico covers only mechanical but not electrical, say your power window breaks, no coverage. atleast that's what i was told by Geico.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by webada
Geico covers only mechanical but not electrical, say your power window breaks, no coverage. atleast that's what i was told by Geico.
What??? That's BS. I mean it's BS if this is true. This coverage is worthless then. I'll have to do further research.

EDIT: I Think you are wrong or person who told you this is.
MBI helps protect you from expensive auto repair bills when your vehicle experiences a mechanical failure. MBI covers cost for repairs to the engine, drive axle, transmission, steering, suspension, brakes, air conditioning, cooling, electrical and more.* Take a moment to review the following frequently-asked questions and their answers:

*Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, rust and oxidation, misuse, or lack of proper maintenance are excluded. Losses to the extent covered by warranty, recall or voluntary repair programs are not covered.

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...breakdown-faq/

Last edited by NYCGLK; 04-15-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Krytech
You probably already know this too but you can buy the MB warranty up to a year or 12K mi for the same price and you can buy it even later but the price goes up each year.

I did consider it since the C was new for '08 but ultimately decided to take my chances. We'll see how that plays out...

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Nope. You have 30 days not a year. From what I heard if it's after 30 days, there is a surcharge and inspection required. So yea price might the same, but you will have to pay in extra fees. I read it's 400-500 bux extra. However, I did read that you can buy ext. warranty, and then change your mind and get full refund at any point up to the time you make first claim on the ext. warranty.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 AM

528i, GLK
So it seems the info on web does mention electrical. however, when I added the GLK to my policy, the rep tried to sell me that coverage. Hearing the word mechanical, I asked if anything electrical such as my power window would be covered, she specially said no...

unless the electrical in the FAQ means like rotary or spark plugs??? if you are thinking of getting it, asked them more specific incidents just to be sure. would be nice to have some clarification.

but you got to wonder, MB standard coverage is 4 yrs or 50k and you can only get this from Geico within 15months, so I'll be paying atleast 3 yrs to Geico for nothing (assuming i don't drive more than 50k) since MB covers everything....

am i missing something?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
yea I'm going to give them a call at some point.

Yes, you do pay for 3-4 years for it while the car is new, but it's the same as when you pay your dealer 3500 for ext warranty, you won't use it for 4 years. The catch I guess is you would have to stay with Geico for next 7 years, and the coverage doesn't transfer when you sell the car like ext. warranty which stays with the car. Still, it's 3K less and doesn't have to be paid upfront. If I put 3.5k (price of dealer's ext. warranty) in the bank, the interest will pay for geico coverage.