GLK offroad thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
GLK offroad thread

Hello everyone,

The new GLK really got my interest and I was wondering if I could solicit yalls opinion on the GLKs off road capability. If you have dealer test drive or personal experience of GLK navigating technical terrain please do share. I've seen several videos of what the GLK is capable off but I'm still a bit skeptical of how much of it is marketing. I know this vehicle is a crossover, has IFS/IRS, doesn't have lockers etc etc but in real offroad conditions how does it fare?

Also, if anyone is familiar with offroading how does the GLKs 4wd system compare to say Toyota's ATRAC? If the GLK is indeed this good I wouldn't mind a green GLK350 4matic

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 PM

none
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewoD04aSlUQ

hope this is a good video to get the discussion going. if im right i think only a few other cars can manage this obstacle. This seems like a 4 wheel ATRAC system to me
Old 04-18-2009, 12:33 AM

528i, GLK
Not sure where you are from but keep in mind that the off road package is not offered in the US. These includes skid plates, 17" wheels with 60 tires, hill assists, G switch for programmed off road driving, shift paddles... etc.

The most challenging terrain my GLK will see is probably vermont snowy mountains... actually i take that back, its NYC streets...
Old 04-18-2009, 06:28 PM

none
thanks for the info. yea i was afraid of that...im kinda sad how the manufacturers are going nowadays. these new crossovers are really just for show :/...basically better visibility and near car like performance.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 PM

GLK350 4matic, prem, navi, sport
Originally Posted by NockM
thanks for the info. yea i was afraid of that...im kinda sad how the manufacturers are going nowadays. these new crossovers are really just for show :/...basically better visibility and near car like performance.
Well, it's not so sad for me - it's exactly what I want - higher ground clearance, AWD system (not even 4WD) and snow tires. I would trade all offroad stuff for better onroad handling and fuel efficiency. So GLK350 4matic is very good combination for me and a lot of people in Canada and New England.

Last edited by vbuben; 04-18-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by vbuben
Well, it's not so sad for me - it's exactly what I want - higher ground clearance, AWD system (not even 4WD) and snow tires. I would trade all offroad stuff for better onroad handling and fuel efficiency. So GLK350 4matic is very good combination for me and a lot of people in Canada and New England.
+1 my exact sentiments. I really liked the GLK the awd, higher clearance, and good onroad handling. Personally I wouldn't be doing any off roading. But for others the off road package might be important. I guess in the end its what you are looking for.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
nice video...
i'm sure MBenzNL can offer you complete off-road pkg to US customers...