GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK 350 RWD (!4matic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 RWD
Question GLK 350 RWD (!4matic)

I just purchased a GLK-350 with RWD last week which I was told just started shipping this past April. With 110 miles on the odometer and while slowing down going up a rather steep hill, I tried to accelerate and I heard a loud bang/clang and the vehicle bucked when I believe the transmission was trying to down-shift. Just 1/2 mile down the road I encountered the same driving situation and the vehicle exhibited the same noise and bucking. I brought the vehicle back to the dealership but their head mechanic could not reproduce the problem. He ended up "re-programming" the transmission and I am about to pick up the vehicle.

I asked the service manager if the newly shipped GLK-350s with RWD has a different/newer transmission than the C-Class which the GLKs are based on, but no one in Service knew the answer.

Having said this I have two asks:
1. Has anyone else experienced this same problem? If yes, have you been able to rectify the problem and how?
2. Does anyone know if the transmission is the same as the C-Class or is this a new/different transmission?

As you can imagine, I'm a little concerned that this is an engineering issue and not just something that a service tech can resolve. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by kjablonsky; 05-05-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 4Matic
It makes me cringe when I hear that! I know this isn't the same but I got service on my RX350 at the San Antonio, TX Lexus dealer and while driving home, I felt like I was rear ended with great force. I looked in my rear view and it nothing was there. I attempted to accelerate away after that and my transmission slipped horribly and whamo again. I checked the transmission fluid and it didn't even register. The idiot Lexus service guys forgot to put in nearly enough fluid. I'm wondering the same for your ordeal.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Nope, have not experienced any of that at all. Have gone up and down the hills. Question for you tho, when you hit the gas did you keep it there or let it go? The reason I'm asking is if you push gas down it might downshift couple of gears but then if you let gas pedal as it downshifts, it will be pretty hard engine breaking.

As far as transmission, to my knowledge is the same 7 speed as one in C, E, GLK, ML etc, so it would be pretty reliable. Maybe it was a software problem.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My sense is that the 7-speed automatic misbehaves when confused by multiple drivers with different driving styles. This behavior might go away as it learns your particular style.

Why does this happen at all? Beats me.