GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

How has it been so far?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus IS300...Thinking about GLK
How has it been so far?

For everyone who has bought the GLK I have a few questions for you.

1) Any general comments on what you do/don't like after owning and driving the vehicle?
2) Off the packages, which ones do you absolutely recommend, and which ones have not lived up to expectations.
3) Do you get a screen on the GLK without the NAV?
4) Do you get rear LEDs without the XENON package?

I am considering a white GLK with sports and xenon package, and chrome handle cups.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 PM

GLK 350 4matic
3) Yes, but 5" instead of 7"
4) No.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
1) Love everything about it except for small tank. 200-250 miles c'mon. Very turning radius spaces, better than Toyta Matrix, which was 7 inches shorter. GLK is a pretty wide tho. Hasn't driven it too hard yet, as it's still in break-in period, but acceleration is really good from what I have tried. Averaged 22mpg over 60 mile trip doing between 50-90mph. Very stable and quiet. Also great on beat up roads even with 20's.
2) I got everything and think everything is worth it. Took couple of trips and Navi is pretty good def not going back to those portable ones. Premium sound is awesome when you turn the bass up (could use more of it tho). Lightling package is awesome (best package), saw swivel function in action and it's really neat. Corner illumination can be useful. I also really like the rear LED turn signals. 20's are also good, glad I got them as I was very skeptical and wasn't gonna get them. I drive on really crappy roads. Premium package is something you can live without. I wanted power tail gate, sunroof and memory seats which came only with premium. (Sunroof is now stand alone option)

3) see above, my impression is that 5inch screen is lower quality (lower resolution) from what I have seen, might be wrong tho.

4) no

I was deciding between BMW 135/335, Infiniti G37, new A4 and new FX37 (test drove all of them). Ended up with GLK and really happy with it, must say something.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM

MB GLK350
So Far, So Good...

I've put 2800 miles on it since delivery on April 8. I have every option except ParkTronic and Running Boards, and I'm glad I have a loaded version, as it gives me more toys to play with. Mine is white with gray leather and walnut trim, appearance package, Premium 1, Nav, and lighting package.

I love the smooth, quiet ride, the considerable cargo capacity, the high-tech gadgetry, the appearance of the car, the quality and appearance of the leather, and the car's handling. I'm not crazy about the mileage (17 in the city, 21 average on highway trips of 300 miles). The nav system is intuitive and accurate, and I love the voice-input feature that lets you dictate as you drive. You can also save the name of a destination in your own voice and ask for it by name!

The car could sure use a music HD that was larger than 6 GB (!); after all, how much does memory cost these days? In any event, I was able to load over 100 albums (about 80 hrs of music) on the hard drive. The PCMCIA adaptor is a nice feature too, as you can use a 8 GB (or larger) memory card to more-than-double the size of your on-board (HD) music. The HK sound system is wonderful; I'm hearing details I never knew existed.

I've already towed a UHaul trailer with the hitch, and only noticed about 1 MPG less with the trailer on back. The engine didn't seem to know it was there!

In comparison to the other similarly-priced CUVs out there, the GLK looks as if it's about to jump into action at any time... angular, masculine, luxurious, and streamlined.

This wasn't an inexpensive car (sticker of $51,500, but I received a $3,500 discount), but the feeling of security and luxury you'll experience while driving it will make the pain of the price fade away...
Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Lexus IS300...Thinking about GLK
Thanks everyone for your replies.
So I went to the dealer on the weekend and took it for a test drive. It was a great ride. Now the dealer is trying to find one with tan artico leather with wood interior on calcite white, and is having a really hard time. Actually can barely find it on other colours, unless it is fully loaded with nav, pp, xenon, trailer hitch, running boards etc...How long does it usually take to order one? I am not sure if i can be that patient.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
2-4 months in US.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:06 AM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by jkf398
I've put 2800 miles on it since delivery on April 8. I have every option except ParkTronic and Running Boards.
Funny: I bought mine on 4/8 to and I have 2600 miles so far.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Don't waste your money on the Command Navigation.

My opinion might be little bias because I didn't buy a GLK with NAV but I have been driving a brand new C-class loaner with Navigation, which is very compatible with GLK. The Navigation feature is borderline basic, unless some feature is turned off on the car, NAV will not speak the name of the road nor will it tells you if you are on the correct lane.

If you have any experience with decent portable GPS, you will be disappointed. Only good thing with build-in unit is that, you can have it running without worrying about the battery and bigger screen.

And the biggest deal breaker for me is that, there is no live traffic integration with NAV. Although, there was announcement of Factory enhancements with availability of SIRIUS Real time traffic service but unlike portable GPS the service is not FREE.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
There are two levels of command system or navigation on GLK. No idea what system or generation you have on your C-Class rental, but your "deal killer" not worth it comments about GLK are strong and stated with authority even though you are "NOT experiencing a GLK full Nav system".

Not sure I understand the motivation or value of the post?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MtnMachine
There are two levels of command system or navigation on GLK. No idea what system or generation you have on your C-Class rental, but your "deal killer" not worth it comments about GLK are strong and stated with authority even though you are "NOT experiencing a GLK full Nav system".

Not sure I understand the motivation or value of the post?
I have nothing against GLK as I have purchased it already and waiting for delivery. The original poster wanted to know if some feature (package) did not lived up to expectations, so I gave my opinion.

I realize there are 2 level of command in C(W204) and GLK. I have tried standard Command (which has no Navigation feature for 3 weeks) and optional Command Navigation on 2009 C with large Popup LCD screen for 3 days so far.

Yes, you are right I did not experience it in GLK but Command NAV is the same. Since both C & GLK uses same Mitsubishi made NAV so system or generation is not an issue.

Are you aware that Mercedes has another NAV for GLK called UMI, which has the Free Live traffic. I personally do not use NAV(GPS) that much but if GLK's Command NAV had Live traffic feature I would probably use it for commute everyday. That's why I did not order my GLK with Command NAV.

I apologize if this post offended the GLK owner with Command NAV because that was not my intention.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
e430, no offense taken.

I do not think it is as simple as same manufacturer. Rev levels, generations etc all make a difference. I will take delivery of GLK I ordered next week and will look forward to evaluating the "real thing".

I am familiar with the 2009, top of the line BMW Nav system and Range Rover system, so it will be interesting to compare.

My 20something sons cannot wait to compare my GLK to their BMWs and my wife's Range Rover.

People that have taken delivery of GLKs have posted some things they really like about GLK voice command NAV and some short commings, including no real time traffic reports. We have been disappointed by real time traffic on our BMW X5. My wife misses her Range Rover touch screen. We all have our learned prejudice.

More later, based on GLK experience.

Last edited by MtnMachine; 06-04-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 AM

GLK 4Matic
We are still very happy with our GLK. I believe we are still a little under 4k miles so far. I would love this vehicle more if it had a diesel.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:45 AM

528i, GLK
I can't say I'm happy with the NAV, the turn by turn is annoying as hell and not so accurate. I like my garmin much better.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by webada
I can't say I'm happy with the NAV, the turn by turn is annoying as hell and not so accurate. I like my garmin much better.
Okay, at least I am not alone.

There were certain options that I needed for sure like Premium Package because of Parktronic, Pano roof, Power tailgate and memory seat. Also, the Bi-Xenon Package.

Then, I had to decide between following options

Command Navigation Package, which cost $1800 CDN
OR
Harman/kardon sound & Sport Package(20” wheel), which cost $1800 CDN combined
OR
Harman/kardon sound, which cost $1000 CDN

Finally, I have decided to go with last option and see if I really need another Garmin with Free Traffic support or try out the UMI from Mercedes if I buy a iPhone because of built in iPhone/iPod support

I do not use Navigation(GPS) that much, in fact last time I used it was more than 1 month ago. So instead of spending something that I seldom use I decided to get a HK sound system which I use 99% of time in the car.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 AM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
E430-> You are right....

I think everything e430 said is right.....

Here my 2 cents
If someone hasn't had any experience to use OEM Navi system then it may worth using the OEM nave in the car..

In the future, for next car....by this experience, someone will be able to decide whether the OEM navi sys. is really good or not...

It should be good trial in entry or over luxury cars...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM

GLK 4Matic
I love my Garmin but I don't have traffic on that either. Also, I'm going to contact my dealer and see if there are any updates for my NAV. I'm wondering if the accuracy is a result of the unit not being updated to the latest?

I love my H/K.........but, Sirius sounds like cr@p on it. C/D's and iPhone sound great! H/K is worth it to me but I never compared it to the base system. I still haven't uploaded any music to the register and I will attempt that today if I find the time.

P.S. on traffic. While in the UK last week, my buddy's MB had traffic on his NAV and it guided us wonderfully around London and to/from his outlying town. I believe it is worth it in a large city like that.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Here is my 2 cents:
Sport package: If they have alu rail back, then it worth to have it. I didn't take it as alu rail was not available and 19" tire will saving you some money in long run too. BTW, 19" rim look much better in real than the picture.

HK logic 7: I am a semi-audiophile, but i didn't take it. For 2 reason, HK system gives you the digitally processed sound plus more speakers and little more wattage. That doesn't necessarily improve fidelity of the sound quality. On the other hand, I listen to news 50% of the time. HK package will do perfect when you play a Dolby or DTS movie, but again for that you will need the Command Navi package and how many movies you will watch in your car?
After having the car for 1 week, I am very happy with the non-HK sound quality. The sound pressure was good, although you will know the limit when you crank it up really high. I see from other threads that people complain that HK makes the music too 'hollow' and they choose to switch it off. My conclusion, the $1000 doesn't justify

Command Navi: that's a hard decision. I personally like the look of 7" LCD vs 5", DVD changer, MMI, Rear view camera (additional cost) are all nice and cool gadgetry. Question is that, how important is it for you to have them in your car?and do they worth $1800? The answer will be very subjective. But I would for any time, spend $1800 for Cammand navi before spending $1000 for HK.

Last edited by yualfred; 06-05-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM

03 E500 & 16 E350
Thumbs up borrowed one...lol

took my e500 for service and thay just happened to roll off the truck with a GLK with 3miles on it. They loaned it too me..... I drove it for about 100 miles and was satisfied with it. I thought the space in the back was a lil small..but I guess that goes with your personal needs. The sound system was nice and liked the throwback style radio screen. Ride was comfy and smoked vw jetta along the way......I guess I had a good day yesterday...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 PM

GLK 4Matic
Back to the NAV discussion, my UK buddy just sent me his MB's information which may tell you MB experts out there which NAV he may have. I was very impressed with everything about his vehicle. His response to my request to him of what he had is this,"My merc is the E280CDI avantegarde saloon, options taken were Command, parking, intelligent lights & seat comfort pack". He described the red cars on the screen as being "mad cars" and the yellow as being "not so mad cars".
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
Back to the NAV discussion, my UK buddy just sent me his MB's information which may tell you MB experts out there which NAV he may have. I was very impressed with everything about his vehicle. His response to my request to him of what he had is this,"My merc is the E280CDI avantegarde saloon, options taken were Command, parking, intelligent lights & seat comfort pack". He described the red cars on the screen as being "mad cars" and the yellow as being "not so mad cars".
Maybe your buddy has Mercedes Audio 50 with DVD linguatronic TMC nav.

For GLK you can get UMI which has TMC(traffic message channel) but unfortunately, if you already have Command NAV then it’s not cost effective because now you will have 2 NAV.

I believe in US, TMC is available for S-Class and CL-Class.

Follow the link for more info
http://www.benzblogger.com/2008/11/u...-2010-glk.html

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Jul08/2...r_The_GLK.html
Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM

2010 GLK350
My only disappointment with my Nav is POI when u enter by name doesn't bring up nearby you.
Pain in the *** if I want "Walmart" it tells you for CA or some other far away state then where u are.
Otherwise the Navagition is as good as I had in other cars, BMW's, Audi A5 and many others!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:57 PM

GLK 350 4matic
I believe you can select POI near your home location or current location, in this case you need to choose 'current'. I use germin 340 and found it very intuitive, the MB navi does take a few days to get used to.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by yualfred
I believe you can select POI near your home location or current location, in this case you need to choose 'current'. I use germin 340 and found it very intuitive, the MB navi does take a few days to get used to.
Hey Alfred did u get delivery yet?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Yes, got it for a week. Already put 600km on it.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:21 PM

528i, GLK
Ok on a sunny day in nyc, took it out for a spin, car's got about 500 miles on it.

i notice plastic squeaks when maneuvering the car in turns and bumps. sounds like its coming from the passenger side door... somewhere around there.

Not happy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How has it been so far?