GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

How are you using the rear view camera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Question How are you using the rear view camera?

New forum member here, first post...350 GLK on order.

I'm wondering how other owners are using the rear view camera. Is it mostly being used to merely scan to the rear before backing up or does it have real utility in helping accurately judge distances from the rear bumper; thus, functioning as a parallel parking aid? And how helpful is it in getting out of a tight parking space? I guess what I'm really asking here is whether it has enough definition to allow one to accurately judge distance remaining down to a foot or so.

Secondly, how much glovebox space does the 6-disc CD changer occupy? Wish I could have skipped the changer (and merely opted for the iPod interface) but it's part of the multimedia package.

BTW, metallic palladium silver paint isn't listed on the MB USA web site for the GLK but my dealer said it's available...I've ordered it.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350 4MATIC
Rear View Camera:

IMO the RVC is only useful to check for obstacles behind the car before backing up. You can't use it to estimate safe backing up. I tried using it to back out of a parking spot and the picture in the camera really doesn't give you an indication how close you are to hitting something. That's what the "Parktronic" option is for.

CD-Changer:

In my GLK this is built into the COMAND console and uses no space in the glove compatment. It makes alot of noise when shuffling discs around. I don't use mine, better to rip to .MP3 and use a Disk on Key. It's faster, quieter and much more convenient. I have my entire CD collection on a 32Gb Disk on Key plugged in. Much better.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I disagree with the post above on the camera and parktronic. I usually just back up like in a regular car and when I start getting closer (2-3 feet) I start looking on the screen to see how much space I have left. Parktronic is useless when there are less than 12 feet as it becomes a constant beep. However, you do need to get used to the camera as it makes things appear closer than they are. Especially if it's plain wall, camera makes it look like you are next to it when there are another 6-12 inches left.

If you have both, the proper use I read and agree with it is the following: Back in normally, if parktronic goes off check the camera to see what's there unless you can see the object when looking backwards.

Here are some pics of silver GLK in case you wonder, I'm really glad with the choice as I wanted to get black or white.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ymarasan...qn46mAybX8pQE#

Andy,
What kind of "Key" are you referring to? One of the cards that goes into PCMIA udapter? Which what do you use (CF, SD etc.)? And also how much did you pay for the PCMIA udapter, I only saw unviersal one (accepts all cards) on amazon for 100 bux.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 AM

GLK350 4MATIC
I actually replaced the iPod cable in the glove box with a USB cable ($45) and plugged in a USB Disk on Key (jumpdrive, thumbdrive, it has many names). Laptops don't use PCMCIA any more, it's old technology. The key I used was on the MB recommended list.

I have about 130 ripped CDs on it plus about 70 or so iTunes songs I bought and converted to .MP3s and still have about 20Gb free space.

Here's a picture

My reasoning is it uses less power and is not susceptible to vibration like a PCMCIA card with rotating media might be. It also doesn't get as hot as a PCMCIA card does and they might be harder to find in large capacities. No one uses PCMCIA anymore.

Last edited by andyf0; 05-31-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Thanks for this post. I was wondering if something like this would be possible. I think new bimmers have USB slot in the glove compartment.

This will not work for me tho as I don't have Ipod intergration.

I agree the PCMIA is old technology, but in GLK's case it's only matter of interface and you are not limited to using just one type of a card, Infiniti has slot for just compact flash. Here you have to get udapter but you can use whatever card you have (I think udpater takes 6 different types). Maybe I'm missing something.

Your solution is more ideal tho, as UBS drives are bigger, and it's hidden in the glovebox. Good info.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 AM

GLK350 4MATIC
Just a quick note to add to this: The reason I went for this was because every time I opened the door and looked at my iPod it was still powered up even with the ignition off. I thought the port was always powered and didn't like the idea of the iPod running when the car is off.

Turns out MB is really smart. The key showed me that as soon as a door is opened it starts reading the device so that as soon as the ignition is turned on your music is ready to go. After 30 secs of no activity the port is indeed powered down. Live and Learn I suppose.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by andyf0
Just a quick note to add to this: The reason I went for this was because every time I opened the door and looked at my iPod it was still powered up even with the ignition off. I thought the port was always powered and didn't like the idea of the iPod running when the car is off.

Turns out MB is really smart. The key showed me that as soon as a door is opened it starts reading the device so that as soon as the ignition is turned on your music is ready to go. After 30 secs of no activity the port is indeed powered down. Live and Learn I suppose.
Thats a pretty cool feature eh...
Old 05-31-2009, 01:17 PM

2010 GLK350
it's accurate

i find it to rear view camera to be dead on. with it, i can parallel park in spaces where there are only inches in front of me an in back. the camera shows you where your rear bumper is so you can see when something's about to hit it. i find parktronic to be almost useless. it beeps even when i know i still have several inches between me and the wall or other car...

as for the usb jump drive thing.. i've gotta try that
Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
Dont have parktronic, wish I did

But I definitely use my back up camera to gauge how much distance I have left. I had my wife help with this one time to see how close is the image on the screen with the actual distance of the object. The image on the screen is actually closer than it actually is. (I didn't read above, so I dont know is someone already said the same thing)

But of course I am still looking back and all my mirrors as well

Very Useful

I also have the multimedia with the 6 disc CD changer but I never knew it is in the glove box, is it?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Thanks for the rear view camera comments thus far, folks. And appears I was wrong about the 6-disc CD changer being in the glovebox if you have the multimedia package. Apparently that's only the case if you buy the changer separately as an optional accessory.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 AM

GLK
even though the PCMCIA is an old technology, I think it's one of the best features on the GLK. I couldn't find and adapter in my area so I just ordered the OEM Mercedes multi-card PCMCIA card (102 + tax) from the dealer and it works perfectly. It's compatible with SDHC cards so my 8GB card works like a dream. It's really the best solution IMO. Works great with the COMAND Screen and the "shuffle" mode is pretty convenient.

Couldn't be happier...
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 AM

GLK
Regarding the rearview camera, I thought I read somewhere that you could turn on an overlay of vertical lines that help you line up with the parking space lines when backing into a parking spot. Anyone heard of that? My friend's Acura TL, with rear view camera, shows these lines and I saw that it is very useful.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Haven't see anything to turn on for a vertical line in my GLK.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Yea I don't think GLK has those, although I can see them being pretty useful if they are accurate. Weird as it seems every back up camera has those lines.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 PM

GLK 350
I bought my PCMCIA adapter from ebay .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180292099972

it supportsPCMCIA Card Reader Adapter for SM/SDHC/SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro

so that means your computer does not have to support the PCMCIA you just buy micro SDHC memory with adapter (commonly used in cell phones) and insert that into PCMCIA adapter in the car.

I used both USB cable and PCMCIA adapter both work pretty good.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 PM

GLK 350X :0
Cool

A dealer tells me that the RVC is a waste of money as it is only pointing downwards and can't really see a bird-eye view. The parktronic works better. Just keep an eye on the LEDs and sound to gauge the distance, the dealer says.
Question: what type of connector comes with the standard system? It states it has an auxillary input in the glovebox.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 AM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
Originally Posted by Nick7920
I bought my PCMCIA adapter from ebay .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180292099972

it supportsPCMCIA Card Reader Adapter for SM/SDHC/SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro

so that means your computer does not have to support the PCMCIA you just buy micro SDHC memory with adapter (commonly used in cell phones) and insert that into PCMCIA adapter in the car.

I used both USB cable and PCMCIA adapter both work pretty good.
Thanks man, just bought it online!!! way cheaper than the OEM Benz one!!!

Last edited by bobhammer; 06-03-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
One use for the RVC is backing up to a trailer. It has a clear view of the hitch and you can hit it perfectly, without another person, 1st shot.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
A dealer tells me that the RVC is a waste of money as it is only pointing downwards and can't really see a bird-eye view. The parktronic works better. Just keep an eye on the LEDs and sound to gauge the distance, the dealer says.
Question: what type of connector comes with the standard system? It states it has an auxillary input in the glovebox.
your dealer is an idiot. Parktronic becomes a constant beep with all leds lit up when there is less than 6 inches. Oh yea and parktronic doesn't provide any view (never mind bird view), so not sure how his logic works. Also parktronic won't go off if the obstacle is too low. Can you get away by uising just parktronic? Of course. I would not buy MM just because of RVC, but RVC is nice after you get used to how it makes things look.

Yea aux is there but you still need to buy a cable.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Parktronic is a very useful option, especially when used with the RVC. If I had to choose, I'd take the Parktronic over the RVC, and my GLK has the RVC. The RVC is very poor when compared to other systems like the one in Infinitis. We have both the Parktronic and the RVC in our GL, and the Parktronic is far more useful in allowing one to park and gauge distances; you just have to get used to it and learn to trust it.

Bish
Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
If I can add 1 more things with Parktronics is that you have sensor in the front as well so you can park really close inside your house garage. Also, I am currently driving a new C-class loaner with Parktronics and I don’t hear any beep so maybe, you can disable the beep if it annoys you.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:20 PM

C35 OMG
I don't know if I'm just repeating what others are saying because it's too much to read, but this is what I use my rear-camera for on my RDX:

- back-in parking with car behind (distance from car behind)
- parallel parking (distance from car behind)
- backing out of parking space or anywhere (checking if there's cars or people behind)
- backing into my garage (if I'm about to hit the wall)
- back-in parking with curb behind (parktronic can't do **** about this)

SO..overall, just anything to do with needing to know what's behind your car and when you're going in REVERSE.
I find this much more useful than the parking-sensor.
Especially if you have little kids playing on the street in your neighbourhood.

I love this feature so much, and honestly it's so so so useful for SUV's because they're so big and hard to see what's behind you.

P.S. It's VERY helpful in judging distance since the camera is actually aimed down at an angle to see not only what's behind you, but also what's behind you ON THE GROUND.

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-05-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:29 PM

GLK350
I use the RVC to judge distance from objects when I am backing up. I

t is not as useful for turning as there are no visual guidelines to show where your car limits will be like in Infiniti EX.

I use the side mirror to see the spaces left on the sides while backing in and turning. Then when the car is straight, I use the RVC for the last few feet of backing up. I find myself not looking/using the rear parktronic because of RVC. For front end I use parktronic to gauge the distance
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 AM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by dmercado
Regarding the rearview camera, I thought I read somewhere that you could turn on an overlay of vertical lines that help you line up with the parking space lines when backing into a parking spot. Anyone heard of that? My friend's Acura TL, with rear view camera, shows these lines and I saw that it is very useful.
My Infiniti G35 had the vertical lines and even had indicator lines that moved when you turned the wheel to show you your path when backing up. Very handy... I miss them on my new GLK.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 AM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by reyoasian
P.S. It's VERY helpful in judging distance since the camera is actually aimed down at an angle to see not only what's behind you, but also what's behind you ON THE GROUND.
Does anyone know if you can adjust the angle of the RVC? I feel like it's a waste looking at so much of my rear bumper instead of being able to see farther behind me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How are you using the rear view camera?