Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Please someone tell me it is going to be ok...I can't sleep
Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
It will be ok.

There. Somebody told you. Will it really be ok? I have no clue. I refuse to break something on my GLK so I can find out if it will be ok.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Wayne
Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
As Miles from the TV show "Lost" said...

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape."
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 AM

GLK 350
I drove the car around today, and bulb seems to be holding in place. It did not appear to have moved from its original position. Do you guys think it will hold without the one clip? Is it possible to have that clip replaced? (The clip I am referring to is the middle prong of the 3 prongs holding the parking light).
Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 AM

2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
As I mentioned above...the middle tab is the sole prong holding this bulb plug in place...with that being said, make sure the bulb socket doesn't get pushed all the way in...otherwise, it will be hard to get out....worse case, the LED bulb loosens from the socket plug and gets trapped inside the housing.

It may seem like its holding well now, but for peace of mind, I'd duct tape the plug and wires to prevent it from falling too forward into the housing.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
Hey, so have anyone tried to replace the Fog lights yet? They look like H7s like the low beam, and i crawled under and realized we may have to remove the entire splash guard to get to the Fogs... Ouch!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by whytechno
Hey, so have anyone tried to replace the Fog lights yet? They look like H7s like the low beam, and i crawled under and realized we may have to remove the entire splash guard to get to the Fogs... Ouch!
Replace fogs with what? Are you talking about the round shaped fogs?

My GLK got stock LED fogs...the rectangle shaped unit...so I don't need to change anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM

W204
subscribed...
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM

2010 GLK350
WoW, what a cheep way to have it held in place. I am stunned at how poorly this was done by MB.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:16 AM

2010 GLK 350 4matic
Can you please send me pics

Originally Posted by whytechno
Old thread, but i will post a quick tutorial for all who's trying to change GLK 350 low beam or parking lamp:

1. I don't know how to pull out the highbeam H7, I stopped after lowbeam and parkinglamp
2. Try switching out the lowbeam and parking lamp on passenger side first as there is more room, so u can get familiarized.
2a. Before u pull any plug, and as u r removing any bulbs, remember the position of the H7 round plate (H7 round plate has a tab on one side and round on the other), remember which side the cables of the plug are facing. It will make putting the bulb back in easier.

Loosen the big rubber protection seal (can be easily removed) that goes from left fender to right fender, big one, you will see it!

3. Lowbeam - there is a U shape wire clip from the housing that's holding the H7 circle plate in place, u have to gently pull n pop this clip out ( this clip does not get completely detached from housing, just pop it backwards and it will loosen the H7, while this wire clip will stay in the housing in a now "off" position)
3a. U don't have to pop the U clip in order to unplug the 2 legged electric plug from the H7. Though it is recommended to leave the plug on, so when the U clip is loosen, u can gently pull on the electric plug to get the entire H7 out.
3b. i. Driver side Prep work (i have pics of this, PM me) - remove the clip that's holding the windshield wiper reservoir. The windshield wiper reservoir can then be slightly moved sideways.
ii. Remove the plastic clip that's holding 2 cables from the wheel well. These cables can then be tugged away
iii. Loosen a clip that's holding 2 tubes (1 of those tube goes into a round drum), it is this tube that u need to get loose from this clip, so the entire round drum can be moved out of the way
iv. Reach in and remove lowbeam cover, repeat the passenger side procedure of removing H7. For driver side, I position myself at the side of left fender, NOT in front of headlight, for best position to reach in.

Here's a pic of the U-Shape Clip that i mentioned:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ght-bulbs.html

Parking Lamp (W5W, you will need to remove the highbeam plug):
1. Remove round plastic cover (it's not this easy... keep reading!)
2. There will be a BIG plastic thing in ur way inside, i cant take that off; it's there to hold the WHOLE reflective plastic housing in place or something... you do have the option to touch the Tab below it, a tab that is a holder for the 2 wires connected to the HighBeam. Gently tug that out, you have to do this to get to the parking lamp bulb plug.
3. The Parking Lamp Bulb plug: i spent almost an hr in the heat trying to figure this out without breaking it, or without trying to tug on the 2 wires too hard. The plug is held down with a 3 prong plastic clip below this plug, the key is to "loosen" this 3 prong. There's a more diplomatic way to do this, for the passenger side, get a small flat screwdriver (1-2 CM wide on the flat, length will be 3-5 inches long) to stick into the bottom space between the plug and this 3 prong holder, once it's stuck in there, you can then gently pull the parkinglamp plug out by the 2 wires, watch from the front as you pull, so you can see the progress coming out. (BTW, later when you push this back in, be careful as you CAN push in too far, making the parkinglamp bulb stick in front too much..., so remember the position of the parking lamp now, and dont over push it later when reassembling).

Dont pull the parking lamp out by wire if you dont have the screwdriver in or your finger in to loosen the 3 prong; it's useless just tuggin at it as i have tried... that 3 prong clip HAS to be loosen at least from the bottom tab out of the 3.

3a. The Parking Lamp Bulb plug (drivers side): as you alrdy know, there's not enough room for anything at the driver side, esp with the windshield reservoir in the way. But good news is, it can be done , bc i've done it. Read 3. above again, but this time, i didnt use the screwdriver to "spread" apart the 3 prong clip, no room..... i have to use my middle finger to gently push into the bottom of the 3 prong clip, to loosen the parkinglamp plug. While my "middle" finger is in there, (at the same time cursing the Germans while in this position), i can then gently pull on the plug and release it.
REMEMBER, when putting this parking lamp back in after you have replaced the W5W, do not push the plug+blub IN too hard, or you will have an over-extended parking lamp into the housing; and as a result to pull it back towards the engine, you will have to fish around and "really" push hard on the 3 prong plug (bottom tab) to loosen the grip of the 3 prong plug so the parkinglamp plug can be moved backwards. So, Remember the position of the parkinglamp beforehand, this W5W lamp has like a 1/8 inch of over-bite from the "cliff" of the light housing-opening, when looking from the front of car.

4. This is really a tough one, so here it is: To plug back in the "high beam" electrical plug after you are done with the parking lamp. It is tough to try to plug this 2 prong plug back in with no visibility, but there's a way to do it semi-easily. There's a handle to this plug that you pulled on earlier. When you are putting it back in, touch the metal H7 plug a few times, know its pins position; then while you are standing in front of the car, have your index finger tip hold the 1 leg of the plug that's closest to the "handle", that's bc you can "guide" this plastic leg right into the (south most, closest to floor) metal tab of the H7, and the other leg/tab will go right in with it. Dont waste your time trying to blindly push the plastic electrical plug back into the H7, you "may" hit it by luck, but most likely you wouldnt and waste time trying to hit the H7's legs like you'd try to hit the lottery.

OMG, what an ordeal!!! first timers, provide at least 2 hrs to get lowbean and parkinglamps replaced.

BTW, the licence plate lights are a breeze, took 5 minutes, stick a flat screw driver in the tab and loosen the cover, then you can pull the w5w out easily.

Here are what I have changed:
Lowbeam: MTEC Cosmos Blue H7 Headlight Bulbs
Parking Lamp: PIAA 19172 168 Xtreme White Wedge Bulb - 2 Piece
Back license plate lights: MTEC 194, 168 Superwhite MT-223 JDM

BTW, the PIAA 19172,168 and MTEC 194,168 wedge bulbs are same size, color are same (very slight blue-ish); the PIAA may be a very very tiny brighter. So, Instead of factory yellowish lights, now they are blue-ish and sparkling.

- believe me, low beam replacements are much easier than parkinglamp replacements. And I "think" high beam replacements is worse than parking lamp (dont know for sure, i havent tried pulling the highbeam out yet, too tired to fight).
I have pics and can answer some questions on the GLK process, as well as the 2010+ E350 headlight replacement process (much easier on the E), let me know!
can you please send me pics. Was able to change all other lights but the right side parking light has been a pain in the ***. Stopped after 3 hours of halfway getting it in but not correctly. Now months later and im wanting to try again.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 GLK 350 RWD
There's some excellent advice in this thread. What a terrible design by Mercedes - how could they make it this difficult? I'm thinking about switching over to white bulbs, but playing around outside with it makes me want to forget the idea altogether. Anyways, I thought I'd contribute by posting the dreaded three prong parking light.

How to remove parking light bulb ??-wnwporl.jpg
The following users liked this post:
m00nd0gy (11-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2022, 07:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 GLK 350 RWD
Not to mention this thread has over 50k views! That's a testament to poor design.
The following users liked this post:
m00nd0gy (11-27-2023)